Asking for Advice - 1st time car purchase

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sistah, think you should consider looking at a COE Honda Jazz instead ... don’t buy from dealer, just join the Jazz / Fit Facebook group and put a post asking anyone want to sell, and prepare to be flooded with PMs.
Not keen in the Fit/Jazz lei.

I'm planning to get an electric car but not in the next few years. So I just wanna get something cheap and reliable for now (if it's even possible).

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
drive for 1 to 2 years then buy new car
Not worth la. The price of COE will peak in this time frame, you are better off getting a new one now. For example, a Mazda 3 is $110k now, 1-2 years later, maybe $120+k range. COE price should start to go down early 2025 and will continue the long term down trend till 2030.

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not keen in the Fit/Jazz lei.

I'm planning to get an electric car but not in the next few years. So I just wanna get something cheap and reliable for now (if it's even possible).
Try to stick to something Japanese. If you’re looking for something in a hatchback (I’m assuming here, since you were looking at 1), consider a COE Swift non-Sport, or if you can find a COE Yaris, it shares a bunch of internals with the Vios so scrapyards would have plenty of spares.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try to stick to something Japanese. If you’re looking for something in a hatchback (I’m assuming here, since you were looking at 1), consider a COE Swift non-Sport, or if you can find a COE Yaris, it shares a bunch of internals with the Vios so scrapyards would have plenty of spares.
Not really keen on a hatchback for now. LOL. I still like the hatchback though.

Hyundai Avante 1.6A <- this can consider?

Am looking at the Avante and Axio, Altis, etc now.

On a side note, am thinking if it's better to get a car that has recently been overhauled and wear and tear replaced?

My current ride, after 8 years, the wear and tear are starting to appear.

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

On a side note, am thinking if it's better to get a car that has recently been overhauled and wear and tear replaced?

Most people will say buying a used car depends on luck.

I say buying a used car is like you say - getting one that's recently overhauled and repaired.

Maintenance is always cyclical in nature - if you know how to check and see for signs of replacement from the exterior, then getting a 17yo car that's recently had its gearbox/transmission changed may not be a bad thing after all.

Compared to getting a 10yo car that the previous owner held off oil changes since the 8th or 9th year because he was "intending to scrap it".

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sistah, in that case I suggest you go with satki black Vios :s34: Specifically, the Belta Vios ... so if you come across a PI Belta you can also consider it. The 1.5L engine better fuel economy than the 1.6L of the Altis, and spare parts cheap and easy to find.

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just to add on on this part ... I believe in getting a car that is in “original condition” as in, you get it with the wear and tear, then ownself repair ownself ... but price of course must bargain down much more lar ... people claim all wear and tear replaced, for me unless you have all the receipts + the workshop is 1 that you know is reputable, otherwise everything is bull$#!t.

Of course, this doesn’t mean you just pick any condition sibei cui car to be your fixer-upper ... accident vehicle immediate reject. If you don’t know how to check / what to check, get a reputable workshop that you trust to check the car (make sure you really can trust them) or if you don’t have 1 then pay AA $140 to do their inspection.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to add on on this part ... I believe in getting a car that is in “original condition” as in, you get it with the wear and tear, then ownself repair ownself ... but price of course must bargain down much more lar ... people claim all wear and tear replaced, for me unless you have all the receipts + the workshop is 1 that you know is reputable, otherwise everything is bull$#!t.

Of course, this doesn’t mean you just pick any condition sibei cui car to be your fixer-upper ... accident vehicle immediate reject. If you don’t know how to check / what to check, get a reputable workshop that you trust to check the car (make sure you really can trust them) or if you don’t have 1 then pay AA $140 to do their inspection.
yeah, these i'm aware.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Buying pre-owned is always by luck. Fit your budget then hoot liao. Buy oredi send to your trusted workshop to do all the checks and replacement.
Your thread is coming to 1 years old liao. COE aim coming down, price of pre-owned also had up alot since last few months.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buying pre-owned is always by luck. Fit your budget then hoot liao. Buy oredi send to your trusted workshop to do all the checks and replacement.
Your thread is coming to 1 years old liao. COE aim coming down, price of pre-owned also had up alot since last few months.
Not in need of an additional ride mah.

My current ride coe expiring in Sep 2024. Still got plenty of time to look see look see.

Also toying with the idea to renew coe but would need to do overhaul if going to do so.

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My current ride coe expiring in Sep 2024. Still got plenty of time to look see look see.

Also toying with the idea to renew coe but would need to do overhaul if going to do so.
What car do u drive now?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

OIC... As you started off with saying getting a ride in next 3-6mths. lolz

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.