Asus GT-AX11000/Pro, RT-AX89X, , GT-AX6000, RT-AX88U Pro, RT-AX86U/Pro, RT-AX86S, TUF-AX6000, RT-AX82U (V1/V2), TUF-AX5400, RT-AX5400 and TUF-AX4200

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Singtel ONR..

My plan is to put a cheap asus router inside the DB box with the ONR then put a A6U in the living room

Make sure if you are really using Singtel ONR (Nokia or Huawei brand, ZTE brand is ONT).

If you are sure that you are using Singtel ONR (not bridged), it is the main router for your network and there is no point to put another router in the DB box.

Not so sure what you mean by an A6U. I think you mean RT-AX86U, right? You can use the following connection scheme.

1) DB Box FTP -- Singtel ONR -- patch panel -- LAN ports in the rooms
2) Living room LAN port -- Asus RT-AX86U in AP mode (to avoid Double NAT) as the main AImesh node
3) If needed, other room LAN port -- other Asus AImesh compatible router (like RT-AXX55/56U/58U/82U) as AImesh node

orhanzi

Master Member
Reaction score
Cheapest managed (smart) switch will be the TP-link TL-SG108E if you do not need >1G. Recommend to get the 8 port model just in case you needed more in the future.

https://www.tp-link.com/sg/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg108e/

Do check out the thread if you intend to jump the ship, starting from Post #1:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/starting-pfsense-for-new-users.6390714/
bro, i had read through it. can i ask if should i add an access point(i see lawrence systems keep recommending getting unifi ap/switch for easy vlan configuration) or should i get a asus router for wifi coverage to my common rooms ? if router , how do setting up vlan goes about ? i need to setup at pfsense side and asus router side ? is setting up vlan neccesary?

I planning to rent out 2 rooms and the tenants should only able to accesss guest wifi but no access to my main network.

nexusRAGER

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make sure if you are really using Singtel ONR (Nokia or Huawei brand, ZTE brand is ONT).

If you are sure that you are using Singtel ONR (not bridged), it is the main router for your network and there is no point to put another router in the DB box.

Not so sure what you mean by an A6U. I think you mean RT-AX86U, right? You can use the following connection scheme.

2) Living room LAN port -- Asus RT-AX86U in AP mode (to avoid Double NAT) as the main AImesh node
3) If needed, other room LAN port -- other Asus AImesh compatible router (like RT-AXX55/56U/58U/82U) as AImesh node
Yup i meant the AX86U.

For the room extra router i set as Repeater or AImesh will be better? I have a Lan Port in every room.

Thanks for the help.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup i meant the AX86U.

For the room extra router i set as Repeater or AImesh will be better? I have a Lan Port in every room.

Thanks for the help.

For the room router, you should set them as AIMesh node as long as they support AIMesh.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the patch panel you meant a switch?

No, it means the panel where your router or switch will connect to the room LAN ports through Ethernet cables (either done initially by HDB or Condo builder, or done later during renovation).

nexusRAGER

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, it means the panel where your router or switch will connect to the room LAN ports through Ethernet cables (either done initially by HDB or Condo builder, or done later during renovation).
Don't i need a switch for this? unless the ONR can connect to all 8 ports on the panel.

orhanzi

Master Member
Reaction score

I saw this xt8 asus mesh router, looks more sleek, better to run asus ax56 router in db + 2 xt 8 node Or 1 xt8 in db with 2 xt8 as node

or ax56 router in db + ax86u as main

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw this xt8 asus mesh router, looks more sleek, better to run asus ax56 router in db + 2 xt 8 node Or 1 xt8 in db with 2 xt8 as node?

Answer the previous question first because it is important. Are you using SingTel ONT or ONR?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw this xt8 asus mesh router, looks more sleek, better to run asus ax56 router in db + 2 xt 8 node Or 1 xt8 in db with 2 xt8 as node

or ax56 router in db + ax86u as main
If using republic or m1 ont?

It seems to me that you can use Ethernet backhaul in this case (got LAN ports in the rooms), then there is no point using Asus Zenwifi XT8 (triband) unless you like the form factor. Zenwifi XT8 is more recommended for those who can not use Ethernet backhaul.

If you like the XT8, then you can just go and buy XT8 twin pack first to see if they are already good enough. Whether to put it in the DB box will depend on your paticular DB box setup -- some will block the wifi badly and others will be okay. You can always try first. If in your flat the DB box block the wifi badly, then it makes sense to buy the cheaper RT-AX56U in the DB box (XT8 is too wasted in this case) as the main router.

On the other hand, if you use Singtel ONR, then no need to put any router in the DB box, just put the Singtel ONR in the DB box. And you can save money and use Zenwifi XD6 in the rooms (if you like the form factor of Zenwifi XD6/XT8).

orhanzi

Master Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that you can use Ethernet backhaul in this case (got LAN ports in the rooms), then there is no point using Asus Zenwifi XT8 (triband) unless you like the form factor. Zenwifi XT8 is more recommended for those who can not use Ethernet backhaul.

If you like the XT8, then you can just go and buy XT8 twin pack first to see if they are already good enough. Whether to put it in the DB box will depend on your paticular DB box setup -- some will block the wifi badly and others will be okay. You can always try first. If in your flat the DB box block the wifi badly, then it makes sense to buy the cheaper RT-AX56U in the DB box (XT8 is too wasted in this case) as the main router.

On the other hand, if you use Singtel ONR, then no need to put any router in the DB box, just put the Singtel ONR in the DB box. And you can save money and use Zenwifi XD6 in the rooms (if you like the form factor of Zenwifi XD6/XT8).
I think i will try to built a pfsense box in the db box then use 2 xd6 as nodes for common room and living rm

initially wanted to do pfsense box + ubiquiti setup, but the ubiquiti poe switch,2ap, cloud key, pull 2 more point for ap gotta set me for another 1.3-1.4k. Kinda abit too ex

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think i will try to built a pfsense box in the db box then use 2 xd6 as nodes for common room and living rm

initially wanted to do pfsense box + ubiquiti setup, but the ubiquiti poe switch,2ap, cloud key, pull 2 more point for ap gotta set me for another 1.3-1.4k. Kinda abit too ex

That is a good plan to go with. pfSense is not that difficult to carry out the basic setup. I have the basic pfSense setup ready and running fine (no VLAN stuff, even though I have played with VLAN using TL-SG108E switch).

orhanzi

Master Member
Reaction score
That is a good plan to go with. pfSense is not that difficult to carry out the basic setup. I have the basic pfSense setup ready and running fine (no VLAN stuff, even though I have played with VLAN using TL-SG108E switch).
if u use that switch, it doesn't have poe then if u hook to an unifi ap, doesn't the ap need an POE injector ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u use that switch, it doesn't have poe then if u hook to an unifi ap, doesn't the ap need an POE injector ?

I do not use Unifi AP. If you use Unifi, it makes sense to go with Unifi POE switches. They are good match with pfSense.

For pfSense, please go to the pfSense thread. For Unifi AP, please go to the UBiquiti thread.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any optimal settings for the RT-AX6000 Router?

Usually the default is good enough. If you want, just separate the 2.4GHz band (or disable it if you do not use 2.4GHz) and 5GHz band.

Other than the above, the default is usually good enough for most of the users and I do not see the needs to change.

Basically there is no such thing as optimal settings for the Asus routers. If you like to play with the settings, go ahead. It is easy to revert anyway.

caesium2108

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry but im very new to all these. So i just signed up the 2gbps internet by Singtel and they are giving me a pair or mesh extender. But im looking to get the GT-AX6000 as the main router in my living room ( i stay in 4 rm bto). How should i configure this?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry but im very new to all these. So i just signed up the 2gbps internet by Singtel and they are giving me a pair or mesh extender. But im looking to get the GT-AX6000 as the main router in my living room ( i stay in 4 rm bto). How should i configure this?

It is not possible with Singtel 2Gbps plan. For 2Gbps plan, the main router will be the ONR, and it can not be bridged by defintion of the 2Gbps plan.

Unfortunately more and more people will sign this Singtel 2Gbps plan and realize this issue due to the push from Singtel side.

Once you are using the Singtel ONR (unbridged), there is really no point to buy routers like GT-AX6000 with powerful CPU since you can really only use the Asus router as AP in order to avoid Double NAT; or you may be able to live with Double NAT (if you set up the Asus in router mode) if you are only browsing the internet and consume video streaming.

Ref: DOuble NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.