ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero vs Gigabyte X570S AORUS Master - Which is better?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Specs here

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

PROS
  • Higher power stage support for VRM at 90A (Gigabyte is 70A)
  • cw 8-SATA ports (Gigabyte has 6)
Gigabyte X570S AORUS Master

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

PROS
  • Has support for TB3 add in card
  • 4xM.2 connectors (ASUS has 2)
  • Supports DDR4 5400MHz OC RAM (ASUS supports DDR4 4866MHz OC RAM) - Info taken from the net
  • Supports BT 5.2 (ASUS supports BT 5.1)

Besides specs how about their

1) Reliability of the product
2) Tech support
3) Service
4) Overclocking capability and ease of overclocking
5) Any other PROS and CONS to the above?

Any feedback? Thanks

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I believe if your enquiry put in 'hardaware clinic" section (more active) will have faster response compare to 'personal project and reviews den" :)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did post in hardware clinic but was moved here

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
This is weird, maybe you can check with mod if they can help to consider move it to hardware clinic section for better response as this review den very very quiet now.

soltrdc

Reaction score
Specs here

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

PROS
  • Higher power stage support for VRM at 90A (Gigabyte is 70A)
  • cw 8-SATA ports (Gigabyte has 6)
  • Has 2xPCIe 4.0 x16 (PCIEx16) slots. Gigabyte has only 1xPCIe 4.0 x16 (PCIEx16) slot
Huh? I used the Giga X570 Aorus Master before and it is definitely able to support 2 GPUs at 4.0 x8/x8 bifurcation. In fact, that was the exact reason I got the board. On top of that, all the M.2 slots are PCIe 4.0, so you can SSD RAID 2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives if you are so inclined. You should expect this to be the standard for any board at this price point (> $500). Are you sure you did not misunderstand this spec? Btw 4.0 x4 or 3.0 x8 is sufficient for current gen GPUs.

The Giga X570 Aorus Master is a solid board, able to support up to 1200W package power to the CPU. I don't think your Ryzen will come even close to 50% of that. The difference between this "S" version and the version I used is that this version has been reengineered to use completely passive cooling, hence "S" for "silent". There used to be a chipset fan where the eagle logo is on the board.

IMO, Giga has the best price/perfomance ratio for the hardware. But I find Giga's BIOS and especially its software to be very dated, machiam year 2000 (it still does its job though). I can't say I really like Asus software too, but at least it's more modern looking, and the BIOS has a search function which is very useful (come on Gigabyte, put that in already!) TBH I like the MSI boards best, and if you are keen to do RAM OC, get the MEG Unify-X for the dual DIMMs.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is weird, maybe you can check with mod if they can help to consider move it to hardware clinic section for better response as this review den very very quiet now.
Ask Mod? In the first place who has the authority to move the thread here?

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Huh? I used the Giga X570 Aorus Master before and it is definitely able to support 2 GPUs at 4.0 x8/x8 bifurcation. In fact, that was the exact reason I got the board. On top of that, all the M.2 slots are PCIe 4.0, so you can SSD RAID 2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives if you are so inclined. You should expect this to be the standard for any board at this price point (> $500). Are you sure you did not misunderstand this spec? Btw 4.0 x4 or 3.0 x8 is sufficient for current gen GPUs.

The Giga X570 Aorus Master is a solid board, able to support up to 1200W package power to the CPU. I don't think your Ryzen will come even close to 50% of that. The difference between this "S" version and the version I used is that this version has been reengineered to use completely passive cooling, hence "S" for "silent". There used to be a chipset fan where the eagle logo is on the board.

IMO, Giga has the best price/perfomance ratio for the hardware. But I find Giga's BIOS and especially its software to be very dated, machiam year 2000 (it still does its job though). I can't say I really like Asus software too, but at least it's more modern looking, and the BIOS has a search function which is very useful (come on Gigabyte, put that in already!) TBH I like the MSI boards best, and if you are keen to do RAM OC, get the MEG Unify-X for the dual DIMMs.
Thanks for the feedback.

How about reliability of Gigabyte cards vs Asus cards? And their service and tech support?

I'm more concern in using only one GPU card in a vertical installation

I thought the GPU card (like RTX3090) should be installed in the PCIE 4.0 x16 slot and not the x8 slot because the x8 slot won't give enough power to the GPU card? If I'm not wrong, AMD has a crossover cable to do it as well.

If what I said is true then having 2xPCIE 4.0 x16 slots will have an advantage when coming to install the GPU vertically as the fat ribbon cable will block the installation of other expansion cards i.e. you can choose the x16 slot to install the GPU card to avoid blocking the remainder expansion cards.

Last edited:

soltrdc

Reaction score
Okay, I took a look at the manual of both motherboards regarding the PCIe slots and basically this is what is going on:

Both motherboards have essentially the same config.

Asus labels all 3 as PCIe x16 slots, referring to the size of the slot (x16 length).

Gigabyte labels each slot according to the bandwidth of the slot when populated (x16, x8/x8 and x8/x8/x4)

Functionally, both are exactly the same:
With the first slot populated, it will run at 4.0x16. With first 2 slots populated, both run at 4.0x8. With 3 slots populated, it will run at x8/x8/x4

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay, I took a look at the manual of both motherboards regarding the PCIe slots and basically this is what is going on:

Both motherboards have essentially the same config.

Asus labels all 3 as PCIe x16 slots, referring to the size of the slot (x16 length).

Gigabyte labels each slot according to the bandwidth of the slot when populated (x16, x8/x8 and x8/x8/x4)

Functionally, both are exactly the same:
With the first slot populated, it will run at 4.0x16. With first 2 slots populated, both run at 4.0x8. With 3 slots populated, it will run at x8/x8/x4
So can I install the GPU card at the lowest slot for ASUS/GIGA with x16? By doing so, I can leave the upper slots open to install other expansion cards as the fat ribbon cable will NOT be blocking them?

If I install the GPU card vertically in the uppermost slot nearest to the CPU then the fat ribbon cable will sure block the lower slots and prevent the installation of other expansion cards

Can I check something with you? I noticed some PCIE slots are connected to the CPU and some to the chipset. If both the PCIE slots are PCIE 4.0 x16 do they give the same power to the GPU card or I must die die install the GPU card in the PCIE 4.0 x16 slot connected to the CPU?

FI, I read from that net that the GPU card must connect to the PCIE x16 slot connected to the CPU.

Thanks

Last edited:

soltrdc

Reaction score
So can I install the GPU card at the lowest slot for ASUS/GIGA with x16? By doing so, I can leave the upper slots open to install other expansion cards as the fat ribbon cable will NOT be blocking them?

If I install the GPU card vertically in the uppermost slot nearest to the CPU then the fat ribbon cable will sure block the lower slots and prevent the installation of other expansion cards

Thanks
You will have to try. I think it is possible. However, all mobo manuals will tell you that when using 1 GPU, it is best to install in the first slot. The difference in the first slot vs. the others is usually that the first slot is direct to CPU while the others are through the chipset. I think the bottom slots should not be disabled if the first slot is not used, but as I mentioned, you will have to try. What you can be sure of is that you won't be bandwidth bottlenecked, because even 4.0x4 (equivalent to 3.0x8) is sufficient for current gen GPUs.

Btw do note that unless you are using a PCIe 4.0 riser cable, your GPU will not have display output until you change the slot config to 3.0. Either you will need to install with a 4.0 cable, or do the first POST with GPU directly in the slot, change config to 3.0, then install with riser cable. Also note that this change is not saved in BIOS/CMOS reset so every time you reset CMOS you will have to repeat this. BIOS flash, depends, sometimes settings are saved, then you won't have to do this.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will have to try. I think it is possible. However, all mobo manuals will tell you that when using 1 GPU, it is best to install in the first slot. The difference in the first slot vs. the others is usually that the first slot is direct to CPU while the others are through the chipset. I think the bottom slots should not be disabled if the first slot is not used, but as I mentioned, you will have to try. What you can be sure of is that you won't be bandwidth bottlenecked.

Btw do note that unless you are using a PCIe 4.0 riser cable, your GPU will not have display output until you change the slot config to 3.0. Either you will need to install with a 4.0 cable, or do the first POST with GPU directly in the slot, change config to 3.0, then install with riser cable. Also note that this change is not saved in BIOS/CMOS reset so every time you reset CMOS you will have to repeat this. BIOS flash, depends, sometimes settings are saved, then you won't have to do this.
Yup for PCIE 4.0 the riser ribbon cable needs to be PCIE 4.0 as well

I just checked the ASUS/GIGA websites from the links I posted. If I'm reading correctly

ASUS has 2xPCIE 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) slots connected to the CPU. I interpret this as both are x16 and both are x8, right? Or even 1x16 and the other 1x8 as well?

GIGA has 1xPCIE 4.0 x16 (x16) and 1xPCIE 4.0 x16 (x8) slots connected to the CPU

So ASUS has an advanatge when installing the GPU card in a vertical position.........if I interpret correctly

Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMO Dark Hero is one of the few boards some really tight memory like 3800 C14 is guaranteed to work out of the box stably and actually listed as QVL certified as a few boards guaranteed to work with it. It also has alot of feature set if you're looking to overclock and tweak. Also, Asus has far more matured bios with a handful of public testers who actually test with realistic workloads. Not to say Gigabyte doesn't but their recent bios releases have been plagued with alot of issues.

If you want to run fast memory and push memory, dark hero hands down. If you wanna run normal memory, plug in and forget, the Aorus Master will do.

Granted, it depends on your priority and how much overclock means to you. CPU overclock both boards will do fine as with most boards in the market. Most new CPUs today are already pushed to the edge stock so there isn't much left to tweak other than power/heat management. Memory overclock only few selected boards can do it stably and have far more options for that with the dark hero.

soltrdc

Reaction score
All the PCIe slots should be able to provide 75W power to the GPU. The difference is the number of PCIe lanes (bandwidth). As mentioned above, all mobos recommend if you have only 1 GPU, to install in the first (direct to CPU) slot. It may also be possible that unless you do this, the other slots won't work properly, because of the bifurcation mode. But as I said, you won't know until you try, so why not just try? At least you know worse case scenario no choice just install 1st slot lor. You may have a hard time installing the riser cable on the bottom most slot though. Also, if you already have another PCIe component intended to be installed, then just put that one in the top slot and your riser in the middle one should be fine. As long as first slot is populated, when you populate the middle slot it will automatically bifurcate both slots.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linkup PCIE 4.0 ribbon works very well. I'm using one but it's expensive. No whea errors and completely stable.
Lian Li also has one too but come in only one length of 200mm whereas Linkup has different connector configurations and come with different lengths of ribbon cable

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All the PCIe slots should be able to provide 75W power to the GPU. The difference is the number of PCIe lanes (bandwidth). As mentioned above, all mobos recommend if you have only 1 GPU, to install in the first (direct to CPU) slot. It may also be possible that unless you do this, the other slots won't work properly, because of the bifurcation mode. But as I said, you won't know until you try, so why not just try? At least you know worse case scenario no choice just install 1st slot lor. You may have a hard time installing the riser cable on the bottom most slot though. Also, if you already have another PCIe component intended to be installed, then just put that one in the top slot and your riser in the middle one should be fine. As long as first slot is populated, when you populate the middle slot it will automatically bifurcate both slots.
ASUS has 2xPCIE 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) slots connected to the CPU. I interpret this as both are x16 and both are x8, right? Or even 1x16 and the other 1x8 as well? Can help to confirm from ASUS website link that I provided in the 1st post?

Thanks

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ASUS has 2xPCIE 4.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) slots connected to the CPU. I interpret this as both are x16 and both are x8, right? Or even 1x16 and the other 1x8 as well? Can help to confirm from ASUS website link that I provided in the 1st post?

Thanks
You have 24 pcie lanes:
16 to the GPU and 4 to the first NVME slot.
Nothing can compromise these.

The last 4 lanes go to the X570 chipset and break out to SATA, USB, more NVME, etc. Anything from here out is confined to those 4 lanes.

The top two PCIe x16 slots can support PCIe 4.0 but only one at a time if you want to run it at x16. The two slots will run in dual x8 mode if you install two graphics cards for either NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFire. The most bottom x16 slot is a PCIe 3.0 only x16 slot that runs in x8 mode, but that’s plenty enough for most of the add-in cards i.e network card and soundcard.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have 24 pcie lanes:
16 to the GPU and 4 to the first NVME slot
Nothing can compromise these.

The last 4 lanes go to the X570 chipset and break out to SATA, USB, more NVME, etc. Anything from here out is confined to those 4 lanes.

The top two PCIe x16 slots can support PCIe 4.0 but only one at a time if you want to run it at x16. The two slots will run in dual x8 mode if you install two graphics cards for either NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFire. The most bottom x16 slot is a PCIe 3.0 only x16 slot that runs in x8 mode, but that’s plenty enough for most of the add-in cards i.e network card and soundcard.
Aha. So I can use the 2nd slot to install my GPU card instead of the topmost slot nearest the CPU since both are connected to the CPU. The ASUS has an advantage over the GIGA here when come to vertical installation of the GPU card.

So do I need to populate the topmost PCIE slot in the ASUS mobo if I install the GPU card in the 2nd PCIE slot?

Thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.