Asus RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U

freedomcamp

Reaction score
Good day to hwz fellows.
I have a question to ask you.
i am planning to switch to wifi 6 router. But i’m confuse which to get. My usage is iptv/video streaming , download torrents and multiple webpages but no gaming and i’m looking at ax-86u or ax-82u. Could any kind soul advise?

thanks

Last edited:

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, noobie here.
I just installed RT-AX86U router at home on starhub 1G plan. Just basic setup, smart connect switch off and QoS switch off.
I have been using my Samsung note 10+ to test the speed of my internet. Seems that the numbers that I am getting for download speed of 264Mbps and upload speed of 514Mbps.
May I know why my download speed is slower than my upload speed?
Is there anyway to increase my speed?
is there any settings i need to do my router?
thanks

Sometimes it is just the test server. You can try using some other test servers like Viewquest or OVH Cloud.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good day to hwz fellows.
I have a question to ask you.
i am planning to switch to wifi 6 router. But i’m confuse which to get. My usage is iptv/video streaming , download torrents and multiple webpages but no gaming and i’m looking at ax-86u or ax-82u. Could any kind soul advise?
thanks

Both should be fine.

If you are willing to pay, get RT-AX86U since it has much faster CPU and the 2.5Gbps LAN port. But take note RT-AX86U normal version local set is still exclusive to SingTel.

freedomcamp

Reaction score
Both should be fine.

If you are willing to pay, get RT-AX86U since it has much faster CPU and the 2.5Gbps LAN port. But take note RT-AX86U normal version local set is still exclusive to SingTel.
hi xiaofan,
thanks for the reply , may i know if the 2.5g lan port serve other purpose than gaming?

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi xiaofan,
thanks for the reply , may i know if the 2.5g lan port serve other purpose than gaming?

The 2.5G LAN port is useless for gaming, mainly it is useful if you have high speed NAS or computers with 2.5G LAN ports.

The faster CPU in RT-AX86U is useful for things like VPN.

For general purpose usage, RT-AX82U should be fine and I am using it as my main router.

freedomcamp

Reaction score
The 2.5G LAN port is useless for gaming, mainly it is useful if you have high speed NAS or computers with 2.5G LAN ports.

The faster CPU in RT-AX86U is useful for things like VPN.

For general purpose usage, RT-AX82U should be fine and I am using it as my main router.
thanks xiaofan,
your reply helps a lot.
appreciate very much.

Have a great weekend.

oetem

Reaction score
Just placed an order at Shopee for Asus Ax5700 Gaming Router Rt-ax86u Gundam for $358. Seller is Gain City. Hope it is a good deal.

Vectors_2

Reaction score
previously used Linksys wrt32x, mounted it center of room wasn't powerful enough to cover entire house of 1300 Sqft constant signal drop-off in rooms esp in rooms had to revert to 4g on phone, hence bought 2x ax866u for the AiMesh,

tested it same location mounted, no issues with signal even in rooms DL speed lowest was 200Mbps at furthest range. went to yard area with at least 2 layers of concrete between router DL speed avg 120mbps still.

Sold off the extra one!

I have devices with wifi6 getting around 600-700Mbps in rooms

Hidetoshi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the info on ax86U... I am considering between buying the router separately and going for other telcos like M1 vs signing up with Singtel and paying the extra $15 a month to get the router... any advice on this? I also heard some people talking about how importing from china gives you a better set etc...

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for the info on ax86U... I am considering between buying the router separately and going for other telcos like M1 vs signing up with Singtel and paying the extra $15 a month to get the router... any advice on this? I also heard some people talking about how importing from china gives you a better set etc...

If you are not with SingTel already, no point signing up with SingTel just to get the RT-AX86U. In fact new sign-up will get the ONR and the recommended setup from SingTel is to set the RT-AX86U as an AP if you sign up for 1Gbps plan. RT-AX86U will lose many features as an AP.

As for the gamer 1+1 Gbps plan, that plan can use the full feature of RT-AX86U but it is more expensive and most of the users will not really need the plan.

Hidetoshi

Reaction score
If you are not with SingTel already, no point signing up with SingTel just to get the RT-AX86U. In fact new sign-up will get the ONR and the recommended setup from SingTel is to set the RT-AX86U as an AP if you sign up for 1Gbps plan. RT-AX86U will lose many features as an AP.

As for the gamer 1+1 Gbps plan, that plan can use the full feature of RT-AX86U but it is more expensive and most of the users will not really need the plan.

Oh i see... any advice on which provider to go for if I were to buy the AX86 or 88U separately? Starhub? M1?

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh i see... any advice on which provider to go for if I were to buy the AX86 or 88U separately? Starhub? M1?

Either one is okay. I have both SingTel (ONT user, not using ONR) and Starhub myself.

I tend to think M1 is better but they did have some stability issues last year.

skpuppy

Reaction score
Anyone bought AX82U from China? Wonder why the price is so cheap? Their AX82U is selling for less than $200 whereas ours is $352.

8👈,560LXg3Txqn啊 https://m.tb.cn/h.4GFHwKG?sm=d11a71 asus/华硕RT-AX82U高速千兆端口双频5400M WIFI6家用穿墙路由 游戏电竞路由 5G无线1000M宽带AX家用路由

3.0微EEmrXg3hEeM, https://m.tb.cn/h.4GFHr9c?sm=710834 asus/华硕RT-AX82U腾讯电竞版 高速千兆端口双频5400M WIFI6穿墙游戏电竞路由 5G无线1000M宽带AX家用路由器

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought AX82U from China? Wonder why the price is so cheap? Their AX82U is selling for less than $200 whereas ours is $352.

I bought the AX82U from Taobao and it works well for me.

Basically we are paying a bit of Asus tax here in Singapore. Price of Asus routers in Singapore are in general higher than US and China.

But take note local version does have three year local warranty. So it will all depend on your risk profile.

Good China version of Asus routers to buy:
TUF AX3000
RT-AX82U
RT-AX86U

Last edited:

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not worth to buy from China is probably RT-AX88U, especially with good promotion here in Singapore (eg: Courts promotion).

oetem

Reaction score
Just placed an order at Shopee for Asus Ax5700 Gaming Router Rt-ax86u Gundam for $358. Seller is Gain City. Hope it is a good deal.
Received it yesterday. However, on my Samsung S21 Ultra, I am getting 150 Mbps for download and 553 Mbps for upload. Whereas on iPhone 11, 784 Mbps download and 555 upload.

Sometimes S21 Ultra connected to AX86U but no internet.

Any setting that can resolve these issues?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Received it yesterday. However, on my Samsung S21 Ultra, I am getting 150 Mbps for download and 553 Mbps for upload. Whereas on iPhone 11, 784 Mbps download and 555 upload.
Sometimes S21 Ultra connected to AX86U but no internet.
Any setting that can resolve these issues?

Do not worry too much about the slow speed from the Samsung. In reality it does not matter for normal usages.

But if you want to dig further, you can try a different speedtest server to see if you can improved speed on the Samsung, for example, try Viewquest speedtest server.

The speed difference may also be because of the compatibility of the wifi chipsets. RT-AX86U uses Broadcom WiFi chipsets and also the iPhone 11. And Samsung S21 Ultra may well use Qualcomm wifi chipset. (Edit: incorrect, S21 Ultra uses a wifi 6E chipset from Broadcom, so I will say it is probably due to not so mature chipset driver for the Samsung).

If you have a router based on Qualcomm chipset, the results may be the other way around.

If you have a Huawei router then Huawei mobile phone may perform the best.

It could also be a Samsung FW problem and future updates may sort out the issue.

Last edited:

oetem

Reaction score
Do not worry too much about the slow speed from the Samsung. In reality it does not matter for normal usages.

But if you want to dig further, you can try a different speedtest server to see if you can improved speed on the Samsung, for example, try Viewquest speedtest server.

The speed difference may also be because of the compatibility of the wifi chipsets. RT-AX86U uses Broadcom WiFi chipsets and also the iPhone 11. And Samsung S21 Ultra may well use Qualcomm wifi chipset. (Edit: incorrect, S21 Ultra uses a wifi 6E chipset from Broadcom, so I will say it is probably due to not so mature chipset driver for the Samsung).

If you have a router based on Qualcomm chipset, the results may be the other way around.

If you have a Huawei router then Huawei mobile phone may perform the best.

It could also be a Samsung FW problem and future updates may sort out the issue.
Thanks for the advice.
Observed that if the download speed of 5ghz is at 150Mbps, I just need to switch to 2.4Ghz and back to 5ghz, the download will back to 800 -900 Mbps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.