Asus GT-AX11000/Pro, RT-AX89X, , GT-AX6000, RT-AX88U Pro, RT-AX86U/Pro, RT-AX86S, TUF-AX6000, RT-AX82U (V1/V2), TUF-AX5400, RT-AX5400 and TUF-AX4200

ahyoo2002

Reaction score
Sorry for this stupid question - buying from Courts, the usual 3 years warranty still applied for model like AX86U?

SongManKranji

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yah - Asus customer service super fast. My AX3000 keep giving me red light, I went down and gotten a 1 to 1 exchange immediately.
Thats why think stick to Asus better. At least 3yrs pang sim.
I thot hoot the xiaomi ax9000 space ship worry about warranty issues. Later tell u must ship back China repair take 1 yr to come back ha ha

Life is v short. Ai song song nia kao tuas ah.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does anyone seen this before :
https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng
DSL-AX82U
, is it different from the rt-ax82u in terms of firmware ?
tried googling but it all leads back to rt-ax82u vs USA/ EMEA DSL-ax82u
thanks in advance !

You do not want to try this as DSL-AX82U firmware is not compatible with normal RT-AX82U.

I believe RT-AX82U is not yet officially supported by Merlin yet. There are so called Merlin梅林 firmware from the Chinese websites which is also based on the Asus stock firmware source codes but in reality not really Merlin firmware. Again, I will say it is not recommended to try.

Personally I do not even recommend official Merlin FW for Asus AX routers including RT-AX86U. Stock Asus Firmware is good enough. I myself use stock Asus Firmware for my RT-AX82U. It has SSH access already for you to poke into the internal information.

Merlin firmware main advantage is to be able to install Entware software packages, which is not that useful for most of the people.

Technically you can install some 3rd party software packages as well on the stock Asus firmware but more limited compared to Entware.

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You do not want to try this as DSL-AX82U firmware is not compatible with normal RT-AX82U.

I believe RT-AX82U is not yet officially supported by Merlin yet. There are so called Merlin梅林 firmware from the Chinese websites which is also based on the Asus stock firmware source codes but in reality not really Merlin firmware. Again, I will say it is not recommended to try.

Personally I do not even recommend official Merlin FW for Asus AX routers including RT-AX86U. Stock Asus Firmware is good enough. I myself use stock Asus Firmware for my RT-AX82U. It has SSH access already for you to poke into the internal information.

Merlin firmware main advantage is to be able to install Entware software packages, which is not that useful for most of the people.

Technically you can install some 3rd party software packages as well on the stock Asus firmware but more limited compared to Entware.
ahhh i see, thanks man !

was looking around and i found nothing nor information on it

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

oh yea, last i heard you were doing the smart connect testing ,

hows the results for you ?

i;ve copied some stuff, but was hoping to see what else i could optimze haha @xiaofan

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yea, last i heard you were doing the smart connect testing ,
hows the results for you ?
i;ve copied some stuff, but was hoping to see what else i could optimze haha
@xiaofan

It kind of worked based on my testing. But I have moved on already -- I have disabled 2.4GHz band altogether. Majority of our devices at home support 5GHz band. And now that the coverage of the 5GHz band is sufficient, I do not need the 2.4GHz band from RT-AX82U.

Now I have another AP (the free SingTel Mesh Router) which provides 2.4GHz access to the few legacy 2.4GHz clients, including the Huawei Nova 3 Lite (backup phone), wireless printer and 1st gen Google Chromecast. That AP has a different SSID and Smart Connect turning ON (but I may want to disable its 5GHz wifi in the future).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do have quite some more 2.4GHz only wireless clients like maker boards or low end Android TV boxes. But then I usually do not use the on board wireless adapters (usually not good) but rather use their LAN port to connect to my Powerline adapter or wireless media bridge. I have a few devices which can act as the wireless media bridge, including the Huawei AX3 Pro and a TP-Link RE350 (now running openwrt).

Using the Asus RT-AX82U as the main router, the AX3 Pro can reach 500-850 Mbps for its LAN clients. RE350 can provide 200-350Mbps, the powerline adapters can provide 100-200Mbps.

Take note I do not have LAN ports in the rooms. With the good 5GHz wifi coverage from the RT-AX82U, I do not feel the need to lay Ethernet cable for my flat (4 room 106 sqm HDB flat built in 1998).

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noice

have a loaner ax82u, for the smaller footprint, and its exceeding most of m expectations, coming from a ax88u user lol

to be honest, if theres a much easier way an smarter way, then it could be a game change....

for now , think for the best compact, ax86u still my ideal router

for the AP mode, does you subsequent asus ax router suffer in performance degradation ?

Thanks for the 2cents bruh......

It kind of worked based on my testing. But I have moved on already -- I have disabled 2.4GHz band altogether. Majority of our devices at home support 5GHz band. And now that the coverage of the 5GHz band is sufficient, I do not need the 2.4GHz band from RT-AX82U.

Now I have another AP (the free SingTel Mesh Router) which provides 2.4GHz access to the few legacy 2.4GHz clients, including the Huawei Nova 3 Lite (backup phone), wireless printer and 1st gen Google Chromecast. That AP has a different SSID and Smart Connect turning ON (but I may want to disable its 5GHz wifi in the future).

I do have quite some more 2.4GHz only wireless clients like maker boards or low end Android TV boxes. But then I usually do not use the on board wireless adapters (usually not good) but rather use their LAN port to connect to my Powerline adapter or wireless media bridge. I have a few devices which can act as the wireless media bridge, including the Huawei AX3 Pro and a TP-Link RE350 (now running openwrt).

Using the Asus RT-AX82U as the main router, the AX3 Pro can reach 500-850 Mbps for its LAN clients. RE350 can provide 200-350Mbps, the powerline adapters can provide 100-200Mbps.

Take note I do not have LAN ports in the rooms. With the good 5GHz wifi coverage from the RT-AX82U, I do not feel the need to lay Ethernet cable for my flat (4 room 106 sqm HDB flat built in 1998).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noice

have a loaner ax82u, for the smaller footprint, and its exceeding most of m expectations, coming from a ax88u user lol

to be honest, if theres a much easier way an smarter way, then it could be a game change....

for now , think for the best compact, ax86u still my ideal router

for the AP mode, does you subsequent asus ax router suffer in performance degradation ?

Thanks for the 2cents bruh......

I only have one Asus router which is RT-AX82U. I feel it is good enough for most of the people. But of course RT-AX86U is better with a more powerful CPU.

As for smart connect, it actually more depends on the device. Unfortunately many devices may not be that smart even if the router is smart. So if you want to have more control, use different SSIDs.

If you use it as an AP, you will not suffer wireless performance degradation -- and thermal will be a bit better compared to router mode. Take note BCM6750 is already pretty good at thermal even you run RT-AX82U in router mode, it should be much better than the more powerful BCM4908 CPU (in RT-AX86U or GT-AX11000) or BCM49408 (in RT-AX88U).

In terms of size, it depends on whether you are limited in the horizontal side or vertical side.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW, AImesh seems to be the main problem when people complained about FW updates. That seems to be the case from the RT-AX88U thread (take note I do not recommend RT-AX88U unless you need 8 LAN ports -- RT-AX86U is better and cheaper).

On the other hand, I do not see much complaints in this thread about AIMesh for RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U. Maybe there are just less users compared to RT-AX88U which is the first AX router in the world (read: not so mature design).

SongManKranji

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
BTW, AImesh seems to be the main problem when people complained about FW updates. That seems to be the case from the RT-AX88U thread (take note I do not recommend RT-AX88U unless you need 8 LAN ports -- RT-AX86U is better and cheaper).
On the other hand, I do not see much complaints in this thread about AIMesh for RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U. Maybe there are just less users compared to RT-AX88U which is the first AX router in the world (read: not so mature design).
I am using 82U w Xd4 aimesh. No problems. Song speed.

Life jin short. Ai song song kao tuas

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For RT-AX82U, since there is no official Merlin firmware, there are no options to install Entware.

However, some older/outdated Optware-NG packages can be used with the stock Asus FW (for both RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U). Many packages can be installed but not working due to missing dependencies. Asus still uses Optware-NG for some of its packages. It get's installed if you enable the Download Manager in the GUI.

Optware-NG: https://github.com/Optware/Optware-ng --> no longer maintained.

/tmp/opt/bin# ipkg update
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/optware-ng/buildroot-armeabi-ng/Packages.gz
Inflating http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/optware-ng/buildroot-armeabi-ng/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/optware.armeabi-ng
Downloading http://nw-dlcdnet.asus.com/asusware/arm/stable/Packages.gz
Inflating http://nw-dlcdnet.asus.com/asusware/arm/stable/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/optware.asus
Successfully terminated.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.