Back from South island New Zealand

IGfusion83

Reaction score
i think it be better to go with a guide? if not i 'ho lan' how?
Urm which motorhome rental do you guys recommend?
Anyway, happy cny to u guys!

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think it be better to go with a guide? if not i 'ho lan' how?
Urm which motorhome rental do you guys recommend?
Anyway, happy cny to u guys!
wont ho lan one... alot ppl will be doing it...

plus it'll be marked along the way...

it's not those totally "no paths" or "anyhow make ur own way up" that kind of hike... all well known trails in nz will be like that...

IGfusion83

Reaction score
Compact 7.00 days @ $43.00 $300.99
Premium Location Fee - Auckland Airport, Fixed @ $10.00 $10.00
Stress Free - Car, Daily @ $17.00
$119.00
Social Media Booking Assistance, Fixed @ $0.00 $0.00
Total Estimate of Charges: NZD $429.99
(All Prices GST Inclusive)
i was quoted for this by Juicy - compact.
is this a good deal?

IGfusion83

Reaction score
which do u suggest?
actually i just changed my mind and wana try something which i wont get to drive in SG
Am thinking of SUV, any to recommend?

raist85

Reaction score
When does SIA release fare promotion for direct flights to NZ ah? specifically Christchurch in Jan 2018 period.

noticed they just launched promotion for May 2017 period at 1.1k return.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
When does SIA release fare promotion for direct flights to NZ ah? specifically Christchurch in Jan 2018 period.

January? Forget about it - middle of summer, vacation time. Why would they run promotion when can sell tickets for full price? My roundtrip ticket in Economy costed me $2235...

IGfusion83

Reaction score
Yup i looked at them, in the end i am going with Europcar, MB GLC220D AWD AUTO.NZD1,293.78 for 10days.
Do u think i got a gd deal?

Satki General

Reaction score
Yup i looked at them, in the end i am going with Europcar, MB GLC220D AWD AUTO.NZD1,293.78 for 10days.
Do u think i got a gd deal?

Well, you have to decide on what is a good deal for you. We drive normal sedan, book 15 days with GPS and full insurace cost the same as you book Merc for 10 days. But do factor in fuel which is expensive and for Merc I believe should be more thirsty than your typical Japanese car.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, you have to decide on what is a good deal for you. We drive normal sedan, book 15 days with GPS and full insurace cost the same as you book Merc for 10 days. But do factor in fuel which is expensive and for Merc I believe should be more thirsty than your typical Japanese car.

Which company did you rent from? How was the experience

Satki General

Reaction score
Which company did you rent from? How was the experience

I have used ezi car before but my trip this year I might want to try Apex. Currently visa card got some promo for some tier 1 rental company like hertz and the price difference around NZ$200. Not sure if 200 bucks is a ok premium to pay for driving a newer car over 15 days :s13:

I am not very particular and my past experience with Ezi or any other car rental firm were quite uneventful. Pretty much just pick up + some simple explanation and off we go.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have used ezi car before but my trip this year I might want to try Apex. Currently visa card got some promo for some tier 1 rental company like hertz and the price difference around NZ$200. Not sure if 200 bucks is a ok premium to pay for driving a newer car over 15 days :s13:

I am not very particular and my past experience with Ezi or any other car rental firm were quite uneventful. Pretty much just pick up + some simple explanation and off we go.

Hmm their pick up locations quite limited. Would prefer a pick up at nelson or picton.

Anyway, has anyone here done the full coastal walk at Abel Tasman? Would love to hear your experience.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've only done the 1st portion before... from anchorage bay to marahau...

iirc we took the boat to anchorage bay then walk backed to marahau...

there's a few points along the way u can see the coast... the waters/islands... but half or more than half the time is walking through bushes/trees... not much to see...

i cant say for the subsequent portions of abel tasman since i havent been there so it may be better?

jX9ZK9T.jpg

Kziybgh.jpg

TKgEV0Q.jpg

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i've only done the 1st portion before... from anchorage bay to marahau...

iirc we took the boat to anchorage bay then walk backed to marahau...

there's a few points along the way u can see the coast... the waters/islands... but half or more than half the time is walking through bushes/trees... not much to see...

i cant say for the subsequent portions of abel tasman since i havent been there so it may be better?

jX9ZK9T.jpg

Kziybgh.jpg

TKgEV0Q.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I'm planning to the the full track. When did you go and how was the weather like?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. I'm planning to the the full track. When did you go and how was the weather like?
we did south island in july... cold... even at abel tasman we had to wear proper jackets...

how much time do u have for ur whole trip? whole track can take a few days u know right?

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we did south island in july... cold... even at abel tasman we had to wear proper jackets...

how much time do u have for ur whole trip? whole track can take a few days u know right?

My entire trip is 3 weeks, will be going end feb, autumn just starting so should still be warm I hope.

keigo22

Reaction score
My entire trip is 3 weeks, will be going end feb, autumn just starting so should still be warm I hope.

that is a wrong assumption, you will get a shock thinking that.

The wind is the one that make you cold even the temp is 27~28. By night it will drop to 16~18 degree.

You don't need to bring long john for summer but at least a wind and rain resistant jacket is needed for the whole year of NZ.

There will always have a chance of Snow even during summer at South Island due to southerlies.

Lastly Feb is not a right season to see the best of NZ. Most of the lupin should have die off. Feb will be either sunny or rainny. Well up to individual.

Last edited:

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that is a wrong assumption, you will get a shock thinking that.

The wind is the one that make you cold even the temp is 27~28. By night it will drop to 16~18 degree.

You don't need to bring long john for summer but at least a wind and rain resistant jacket is needed for the whole year of NZ.

There will always have a chance of Snow even during summer at South Island due to southerlies.

Lastly Feb is not a right season to see the best of NZ. Most of the lupin should have die off. Feb will be either sunny or rainny. Well up to individual.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be packing layers. Reason why I picked end feb is that I figured it will be the time less people are visiting and the weather will still be good. I'll definitely expect rain, but that's just part of the fun anyway.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.