Back from South island New Zealand

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy the starhub prepaid card

Can roam in many countries so u dun jus use it for nz

Im currently using it in Australia and will also use it for my NZ trip in October

shimesa

Reaction score
Hello,

My friends and I are going to new zealand from 8 july to 28 july.
We are planning to book campervan through Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan.
I have some questions prior to booking which me and my friends are confuse about.

Would appreciate if anyone here can help me as this is the first time we are booking campervan.

1) How does the single vehicle rollover cover works?

2) One way fee (Road user charge recover fee) ?

3) Liability Reduction Option ? (From what i know this is like a campervan insurance?)

4) Is singapore driving license eligible to drive campervan in New Zealand as there is a weight limit of the campervan

Last edited:

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Hi guys, just came back from a 15days road trip around south island. If anyone need any help or comment regarding anything, feel free to ask. Cheers!

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Hello,

My friends and I are going to new zealand from 8 july to 28 july.
We are planning to book campervan through Britz Explorer 4 Berth Campervan.
I have some questions prior to booking which me and my friends are confuse about.

Would appreciate if anyone here can help me as this is the first time we are booking campervan.

1) How does the single vehicle rollover cover works?

2) One way fee (Road user charge recover fee) ?

3) Liability Reduction Option ? (From what i know this is like a campervan insurance?)

4) Is singapore driving license eligible to drive campervan in New Zealand as there is a weight limit of the campervan

3. Yep it's just like insurance
4. Yes, eligible.

Btw, I suggest you hire a bigger campervan if you are traveling with more than 2 friends. 4berth is really small. With all ur luggages and stuff in the campervan, you literally have no space to walk.

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll be travelling to NZ in a few weeks and would like to know what's the best way to obtain internet there. Sadly the hotels which I'll be staying in do not offer free wifi and currently I'm considering renting a pocket wifi (pocwifi) to share among my family.

Just for consideration, you may want to buy the 3gig data sim from Vodafone. From all the places that I went to in South Island, only these 2 places where I encounter no connection at all, milford sound and a campsite before wanaka. And most of the eateries there have free WiFi access.

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs so far (had combed through 90 pages 😩)

Here's my proposed itinerary for first two weeks of July (13 days)

Day 1: Collect campervan and set out to Lake Tekapo (~3.5 hours drive) and spend one night at a campsite/freedom ground. This is where I hope to do star gazing, southern lights(?) and church of good Shepard.

Have to see the moon phase on that night. If full moon good luck.

Day 2: Tekapo to Pukaki (~40 min drive). Swing by High Country Salmon and Twizel town for groceries (or is there a nearer one?). BBQ at Pukaki.

Don't need you can go 4 square at Lake Tekapo to buy some groceries.

Day 3&4: Pukaki to Mt Cook (~40 min drive). Plan to do Hooker Valley track on first day and camp at Glentanner Park Centre or White HOrse Hill (any recommended ones?). I am thinking if i should spend 2 nights here and do Muller Hut. Otherwise, what else is there to do on 2nd night at Mt. Cook?

Mt Cook is also nice for star gazing. There are also other hiking track in Mt Cook, go visit the visitor centre at Mt Cook village.

Day 5&6: Travel to Lake Wanaka and spend 2 nights in this area. Plan to do Blue Pools track and Rob Roy track in one day (is this too adventurous?). Second day plan to do Roys Peak trail and then perhaps visit Wanaka town. But not sure where to park campervan in Wanaka area yet.

I don't do campervan so can't advice you.

Day 7: Wanaka to Queenstown, return campervan and check in hotel. I think I will rent a normal car for the 4 nights in Queenstown. Day 7 planning to just chill in city. Any recommended things to do otherwise? Perhaps track up Queensown hill?

At queenstown you can go for horse riding at high country horse.

Day 8: Day trip to Milford Sound (taking the tour recommended by Keigo22).

Day 9: Drive to Glenorchy and explore the area.

Day 10: Do two bungees with Canyon Swing.

Day 11: Fly out from ZQN to CHC in the morning. And explore Christchurch .

Day 12&13: Explore Christchurch and depart back to SIN on Day 13 morning.

Hope to hear your thoughts and suggestions!!! Thank you and Happy Labor Day

Just my suggestion.

1. Not sure what time you are collecting your vehicle. But I believe most probably it will be dark by the time you reach tekapo.

2. Do visit Mt John observatory in the morning. Really stunning view. It cost 8bucks per vehicle.

3. It's rather fuel inefficient to travel from tekapo > pukaki > twizel > high salmon > twizel > pukaki for me. And you can buy your groceries in christchurch. Pack n save is a good place to go.

4. Hooker Valley will take around 3 hrs to complete(round trip). You may want to visit Tasman glacier Lake if you have the time. For me, there's nth much to do in Mt cook. By the way, if you are driving from pukaki to Mt Cook, you can stop by at the scenic viewing point (Paterson or what, I forgot the name).

5. Mt Roy will take you around 5hrs. You can download campermate app to find the nearby campsite. It will be your savior.

6. In queenstown, you can try the Nevis combo, skydive, the overated fergburger(go there early in the morning to avoid long queue), flame restaurant, or a short drive to arrow town.

7. In glenorchy, you can drive to the 'lord of the ring' scenic site. It a rather long drive. For more information, you can visit the isite over there.

8. There's really nth much in chc. Perhaps botanic Garden or museum? Or u cN drop by kMart, warehouse, or cookies time.

Hope these helps.

* download campermate. It will tell you the nearest dump station, petrol station, campground, etc.

Last edited:

MaGixT

Reaction score
I was searching more information about Milford Sound and i found out about sandflies there. I am abit worry as I am heading there with my two young kids who are sandflies best best best friends.

I am heading there this year end Nov, anyone knows if I were to stops at some famous points like mirror lakes, Home Tunnel, are there alot of sandflies? I dont plan to do any trekking.

My girl gets terrible swell when she was bitten. Not too sure if i should forgo going the place at all.

Advice appreciated

Thanks!

sellun

Reaction score
I was searching more information about Milford Sound and i found out about sandflies there. I am abit worry as I am heading there with my two young kids who are sandflies best best best friends.

I am heading there this year end Nov, anyone knows if I were to stops at some famous points like mirror lakes, Home Tunnel, are there alot of sandflies? I dont plan to do any trekking.

My girl gets terrible swell when she was bitten. Not too sure if i should forgo going the place at all.

Advice appreciated

Thanks!
The sandflies/blackflies are worse all along west coast, if you really want you can avoid the west side. Milford will have them too.

Just wear long sleeve and long pants. Fully cover yourself. Use lots of repellent (only use the local repellent containing DEET) on the clothing's don't apply directly on body.

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

shimesa

Reaction score
3. Yep it's just like insurance
4. Yes, eligible.

Btw, I suggest you hire a bigger campervan if you are traveling with more than 2 friends. 4berth is really small. With all ur luggages and stuff in the campervan, you literally have no space to walk.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My friends and i (total 4 pax) is going for 4 berth. haha trying to save as much as we can.

So for 4) as long as have IDP license, they will allow us to drive their campervan regardless of our SG licenses limit?

sellun

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. My friends and i (total 4 pax) is going for 4 berth. haha trying to save as much as we can.

So for 4) as long as have IDP license, they will allow us to drive their campervan regardless of our SG licenses limit?
Do get self contained campers and you can do freedom camping at free camp sites every other day. Can save even more & experience the wilder NZ!

The last I went don't even need IDP license. Just Singapore licence enough as ours license is in English. Best is email & check with the rental company and print black and white in case of any dispute.

shimesa

Reaction score
Can i know which campervan you book??

Do get self contained campers and you can do freedom camping at free camp sites every other day. Can save even more & experience the wilder NZ!

The last I went don't even need IDP license. Just Singapore licence enough as ours license is in English. Best is email & check with the rental company and print black and white in case of any dispute.

shimesa

Reaction score
KEA 6berth self contained. 3years ago.

Alright, thank you!

As my friends and i are going during july period which is winter month. It is definitely needed to put on the snow chain on the wheels whenever we driving?? Is the road condition very icy??

lastly, is it wise to book the ferry ticket from the campervan company itself or get it separately?

Last edited:

sellun

Reaction score
Alright, thank you!

As my friends and i are going during july period which is winter month. It is definitely needed to put on the snow chain on the wheels whenever we driving?? Is the road condition very icy??
Just look out for road signs. You will only need chain if there are signs telling you to use. On normal road I don't think you'll need. I think black Ice is more scary, do not drive too early in the morning and after sun sets.

shimesa

Reaction score
Just look out for road signs. You will only need chain if there are signs telling you to use. On normal road I don't think you'll need. I think black Ice is more scary, do not drive too early in the morning and after sun sets.

Alright, thank you so much!

Lastly, is it wise to book the ferry ticket from the campervan company or thru the ferry company?

angy

Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much!

Lastly, is it wise to book the ferry ticket from the campervan company or thru the ferry company?

you know that ferry booking from North to South or South to North is very expensive. You can book directly with the ferry company, either interislander or Blueridge. If you intend to goto the North Island, please allocate them for your travel from CHC to the Picton terminal.

You asked about Snow chains. There is one route you have to be extremely careful, Crown Range road. This is the road lies between Queenstown and Wanaka. It is also the road to go to the key ski fields. Please check the weather report before you drive on that road. If there is a slight chance of snowing, dont use that road or postpone your trip for another day. You dont want to get stuck in there. Driving with snow chains is no fun. it is also not easy to fit them in.

Drive carefully, and drive slowly.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.