Back from South island New Zealand

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
What model was it? $540 including no excess?
Did u apply any promo code?

Your Rental Car
Mazda Demio or similar
Daily Rate: $33.00
Total: $537.00
Deposit: $53.70
Balance Owing: $483.30

No promo code, just regular booking.

Regarding excess - they blocked $2000 on the card which was released back when I dropped the car back.

appledabble

Reaction score
I c. Thanks. What was your consideration for not having the excess covered? I'm checking if there is any insurance provided by credit card that covers such rental car excess coverage.would you have any idea as well? Thanks!

No promo code, just regular booking.

Regarding excess - they blocked $2000 on the card which was released back when I dropped the car back.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
I c. Thanks. What was your consideration for not having the excess covered? I'm checking if there is any insurance provided by credit card that covers such rental car excess coverage.would you have any idea as well? Thanks!

I actually have such card - Chase Sapphire Preferred.

AUTO RENTAL COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER
Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.

The ONLY reason I keep that card and continue paying US $95/year fee is for potential auto rentals. But I am well aware that in case of problems I can rely on that card if car rental is in a developed countries, NZ included. I am not that naive to think that I can rent car in Thailand/Indonesia and hoping that Chase will cover/work for me there.

Don't know if there is a card with similar benefits in Singapore but doubt it.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don't have such card, but I bought travel insurance from MSIG which cover rental excess up to $1500

megafortress

Reaction score
hey guys. quick question on the car rental. is there really a difference between a 5 year old car and a 1 to 2 year old car? coz the difference in the rental between the 2 is quite big sia.

_Dave_

Reaction score
No difference to me. Car is just to drive from A to B. I usually get the full insurance, but so far I never had to invoke it ie never sustained any damage before.

Sent from ~ using GAGT

xorionn

Reaction score
do ya all know if any airlines got promos below $900-1k now? previously qantas but i think over liao...

megafortress

Reaction score
do ya all know if any airlines got promos below $900-1k now? previously qantas but i think over liao...

emirates got promo until end jan so you should really go check it out now.

i got mine to christchurch in apr for slightly less than $900

sCuzzZy

Reaction score
I got mine from SQ for 1288 as it's a direct flight.

I did recall a qantas flight for 893. two weeks back. not exactly great timings tho.

IGfusion83

Reaction score
Hi Guys and girls,

I be travelling to NZ , northernisland on 1st week of March. Thought of sharing my itenary and would welcome if you can share your opinion or suggestion to make our trip better.

Bought an airticket from SG to auckland at 1288 per pax. (NOW they come out with second birthday sale, which only cost 980!!).
Reach auckland airport on 3rd March at ~1140pm
-Will check in a nearby hotel and have a quick rest.
-Next day i would be renting a motorhome at nearby hotel, Wilderness is the company.
- Will travel down south, towards Waitomo for black water rafting. Will probably have brunch at Huhu Cafe
-After waitomo, will drive towards Lake taupo for a stay over.
- Skydiving the next day. follow by exploring of town at lake taupo.
- Go for the Torigario Alphine crossing, which will most probably take a day. Stay over at lake taupo again.
So its gona be 3d2n at lake taupo
-Go for the huka fall jet before driving off to Rotorua.
-Probably stay there for 3d n. Will join Te puria tour, try the Rotura night market. And go for the Wai O tapu or Hells gate tour. If time permit, will go for wine tasting at the wineary near the skyline condola.
-Drive towards Hobbiton village on the 7th day. Before proceeding back to Auckland main city.
-Explore the city for 3d2n, and back to SG

Budget would be around 2.5k per pax for 2 person.

Any suggestion?

anyone can help me in in my planning as above? i am not sure if its good or too rush or anything
also i am rching auckland in the midnight arnd 12am. Is there any place to stay nearby as i would need to pick up my motorhome then ext day morning

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone can help me in in my planning as above? i am not sure if its good or too rush or anything
also i am rching auckland in the midnight arnd 12am. Is there any place to stay nearby as i would need to pick up my motorhome then ext day morning
jus to confirm ur skydive is 1 day and alpine crossing is 1 day right?

havent done the tongariro alpine crossing but i had housemates who did it... takes up 1 full day from early day... your fitness will also determine how soon you start/end...

the spot u start and end can also be different right? so since u have ur own car u have to ownself see how best to get back to ur car...

hell's gate is interesting... very large areas of those pools... can play with the mud too...

i think there's a geyser in the taupo area too but i cant rmb exactly the name or where it is...

the luge at taupo has a longer trail than the one at queenstown, i tried both and taupo's one is definitely more enjoyable...

the schedule seems ok to me

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those who have been to mt cook and glenorchy in the south... how is my schedule like?

i've been to all areas about 5 years back for except mt cook and the Glenorchy area of queenstown...

BRwUavJ.png

IGfusion83

Reaction score
jus to confirm ur skydive is 1 day and alpine crossing is 1 day right?

havent done the tongariro alpine crossing but i had housemates who did it... takes up 1 full day from early day... your fitness will also determine how soon you start/end...

the spot u start and end can also be different right? so since u have ur own car u have to ownself see how best to get back to ur car...

hell's gate is interesting... very large areas of those pools... can play with the mud too...

i think there's a geyser in the taupo area too but i cant rmb exactly the name or where it is...

the luge at taupo has a longer trail than the one at queenstown, i tried both and taupo's one is definitely more enjoyable...

the schedule seems ok to me

yes 1 day each. but i will stay 3 days at lake taupo to cater if theres any bad weather for my jump.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone did the tongariro alpine crossing tour?
May i get some suggestion on which tour group to go for?
outside of winter season u dun need a guided tour right?

only during winter then it's compulsory to go on guided tour...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.