Back from South island New Zealand

megafortress

Reaction score
hey guys. on average what's the price of fuel in south island? we doing a 17 days road trip in a altis. how much should we budget for fuel taking account that we will be driving everyday.

Satki General

Reaction score
hey guys. on average what's the price of fuel in south island? we doing a 17 days road trip in a altis. how much should we budget for fuel taking account that we will be driving everyday.

I think its about the same price as Singapore around 2+ per litre

desboo

Reaction score

Budget on the high side. 10km/litre, cost at $2.00 per litre. Good thing is no need to worry about road toll.

You can reduce the price by getting a fuel card and clocking discounts at supermarkets.

shimesa

Reaction score
Hais been checking skyscanner for tix to auckland for one way.. hope there's better price/promo coming soon :/

silverwing

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, anyone has experience with glacier walk? Thinking of either
Franz Josef Glacier Guides or Fox Glacier Guiding.

hahalol86

Reaction score
Need help to plan 14 day South Island NZ Trip

Hi All,

I am planning a 14 days self-drive south island trip in June 11-25. Below is my itinerary so far. Appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Day 1 - Arrive at 9.30am. Pick up car and drive to Hokitika. Stay for the night
Day 2 - (Blank, any inputs for this pls?)
Day 3 - (Blank, any inputs for this pls?)
Day 4 - Drive to FJG
Day 5 - Drive to Wanaka via Haast
Day 6 - Wanaka
Day 7 - Wanaka - Arrowtown - Queenstown
Day 8 - Queenstown
Day 9 - Day Tour to Milford Sound
Day 10 - QT to Lake Tekapo
Day 11 - Lake Tekapo / Mt John
Day 12 - Lake Tekapo to Christchurch
Day 13 - Day tour to Kaikoura
Day 14 - Back to SG

Hoping to catch the Southern Light at Lake Tekapo, so according to the moon phase, I should be at Lake Tekapo from Day 10 onwards.

I have 2 empty days at the beginning of the trip. Can anyone give me suggestion where should I go?

Also, is it recommended to drive a SUV in June? Or a sedan car is good enough.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks!

_Dave_

Reaction score
If you're going with spouse and 3 kids, definitely get an SUV. You didn't provide any details, so we can only assume.
I assume you'll be flying into chch? Consider not driving immediately after arriving due to jet lag / tiredness etc.

Sent from ~ using GAGT

sellun

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning a 14 days self-drive south island trip in June 11-25. Below is my itinerary so far. Appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Day 4 - Drive to FJG
Day 6 - Wanaka
Day 8 - Queenstown
Day 14 - Back to SG

Hoping to catch the Southern Light at Lake Tekapo, so according to the moon phase, I should be at Lake Tekapo from Day 10 onwards.

I have 2 empty days at the beginning of the trip. Can anyone give me suggestion where should I go?

I would push forward FJG and put more days at wanaka to chill or Queenstown for adventure. Drive from FJG to wanaka can be quite long. Maybe can break a day there is you want. Enjoy the haast scenic view.

Definitely a SUV (heavier car) if no budget constraints. When the huge tankers fly past us on those single lane mountain roads, we feel that our camper van can fly away. Can't imagine us driving a lighter car.. quite scary.

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

Last edited:

sCuzzZy

Reaction score
What is a recommended car rental for a 6pax trip including luggages?

Will your typical 8 seaters be reasonably sufficient?

Have been shopping around but still undecided as not sure to get a mini bus or a 8 seater will suffice

sellun

Reaction score
What is a recommended car rental for a 6pax trip including luggages?

Will your typical 8 seaters be reasonably sufficient?

Have been shopping around but still undecided as not sure to get a mini bus or a 8 seater will suffice
6 berth campervan :p

8seaters should be enough if everyone just have a mid size luggage. Depends on your duration also to see how much things your group will bring.

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

lookers

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Day 4 - Drive to FJG
Day 6 - Wanaka
Day 8 - Queenstown
Day 14 - Back to SG

I think there is nothing much at Wanaka, I drove by for Skydive in the early afternoon then chiong to stay at Queenstown liaoz..

and your "Day Tour to Milford Sound", I hope you are not intending to drive there lol.. otherwise, you need some rest before leaving Queenstown for Lake Tepako haha

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think there is nothing much at Wanaka, I drove by for Skydive in the early afternoon then chiong to stay at Queenstown liaoz..

and your "Day Tour to Milford Sound", I hope you are not intending to drive there lol.. otherwise, you need some rest before leaving Queenstown for Lake Tepako haha

It's a good base for a lot of activities around the area. I went up to isthmus peak, mount iron and also visited rob roy glacier and the blue pools. Would have liked to stay another day to attempt roys peak.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if u r not a hiker, wanaka actually can skip...

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a good base for a lot of activities around the area. I went up to isthmus peak, mount iron and also visited rob roy glacier and the blue pools. Would have liked to stay another day to attempt roys peak.
u have pics of isthmus n rob roy?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.