Back from South island New Zealand

sellun

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe an alternative is to ride campervan for a couple of days when I travel from CHC to Queenstown. Then change to Sedan back to CHC. Might be too troublesome also, not sure. Still exploring my option.

As for accommodation, is there a lot of motel/hostel all around? I was thinking not to book accommodation for all nights, and just look while travelling each day (Assuming I'm on Sedan all the way). Would that be risky at (25 Nov to 10 Dec) period?

Currently, I'm looking at NZ Air which seem to be the best option right. There's transit though but given the price point / travelling time. I'm quite ok with it. But the flight from Auckland to CHC is using a small plane though, like budget airline kind. Kinda suck.

My current budget should be catering around 4k per pax. Hopefully won't exceed too much.

As far as i know, almost all campervan would have minimum number of days of rental. I believe at least 7 to 10days for summer.. You could do day 1 to 10 from chc to qtn (campervan) then day 11 to 16 qtn back to chc via sedan i suppose..
I'm not sure about motels as i stayed in campervan parks & campsites. There's certainly alot of camping grounds & camper park everywhere tho, but summer would be really crowded best to book in advance.

1hr 30mins of flight only.. just bear with it?

With 4k it will be really tight if including skydive. (at least 600+ including video and photo). Please choose a reputable company to do your dive....

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as i know, almost all campervan would have minimum number of days of rental. I believe at least 7 to 10days for summer.. You could do day 1 to 10 from chc to qtn (campervan) then day 11 to 16 qtn back to chc via sedan i suppose..
I'm not sure about motels as i stayed in campervan parks & campsites. There's certainly alot of camping grounds & camper park everywhere tho, but summer would be really crowded best to book in advance.

1hr 30mins of flight only.. just bear with it?

With 4k it will be really tight if including skydive. (at least 600+ including video and photo). Please choose a reputable company to do your dive....

Yeah I know. It's just a estimation of budget right now. And not both will be doing skydiving.

Any company to recommend for skydive?

Posted with Nexus 5 via PCWX

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know. It's just a estimation of budget right now. And not both will be doing skydiving.

Any company to recommend for skydive?

Posted with Nexus 5 via PCWX
there's no specific company to recommend one

it depends on the location

i would recommend to do the skydive at fox glacier or queenstown for the views

i did it at wanaka cuz it was the cheaper one and queenstown was the most expensive at that time

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there's no specific company to recommend one

it depends on the location

i would recommend to do the skydive at fox glacier or queenstown for the views

i did it at wanaka cuz it was the cheaper one and queenstown was the most expensive at that time

Ytd I did some checking, and saw http://www.skydivefranz.co.nz/.

the 19k ft jump is expensive, haven't include video/photo. after include about 700+ sgd. 16k ft one seem to be still ok.

I was thinking of doing at glacier area for the view.

I just went to see https://www.skydivewanaka.com/prices-and-packages/, franz one like cheaper abit?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up to u mine was during 2012

I didnt do at franz josef or fox cuz i remember clearly during my trip then, the weather at the 2 glacier towns were quite gloomy and rained quite abit...

My jump at wanaka was about 500 including video and photo

Ytd I did some checking, and saw http://www.skydivefranz.co.nz/.

the 19k ft jump is expensive, haven't include video/photo. after include about 700+ sgd. 16k ft one seem to be still ok.

I was thinking of doing at glacier area for the view.

I just went to see https://www.skydivewanaka.com/prices-and-packages/, franz one like cheaper abit?

sellun

Reaction score
i did mine at QTN with Nzone skydive, 12,000ft if i'm not wrong. around 600 with photo and video, no handicam.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, i have decided to take domestic from north to south island instead of driving down and ferrying across.

here is my revised itinerary. please help to review and comment. thanks! :)
day 1: SG to Auckland
day 2: arrive Auckland airport at 1145, rent car, drive to Waitomo
day 3: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Ruakuri Loop walk. drive to Mt Taranaki
day 4: short hike in Mt Taranaki area. drive to Taupo
day 5: explore lake Taupo, drive to matamata
day 6: hobbiton
day 7: drive to Te Whanganui-A-Hei, drive to Auckland
day 8: Auckland
day 9: domestic flight from auckland to christchurch
day 10: Christchurch -> Castle Hill -> (via Aurther Pass) -> Greymounth
day 11: Greymounth -> Punakaiki (pancake rocks and blowholes) -> Franz Josef Glacier (helicopter ride)
day 12: Fox Glacier, Lake Matheson
day 13: Fox Glacier -> Wanaka
day 14: Wanaka
day 15: Wanaka -> Te Anau (cruise to Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound)
day 16: Te Anau -> cruise to Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound) -> Te Anau
day 17: Te Anau -> Queenstown
day 18: Queenstown (Glenorchy, Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables)
day 19: Queenstown -> Mt Cook
day 20: Mt Cook (Hooker Valley trek)
day 21: Mt Cook -> Lake Tekapo
day 22: Lake Tekapo -> Christchurch
day 23: domestic flight from Christchurch to Auckland. 1:30pm flight from Auckland to SG

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, i have decided to take domestic from north to south island instead of driving down and ferrying across.

here is my revised itinerary. please help to review and comment. thanks! :)
day 1: SG to Auckland
day 2: arrive Auckland airport at 1145, rent car, drive to Waitomo
day 3: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Ruakuri Loop walk. drive to Mt Taranaki
day 4: short hike in Mt Taranaki area. drive to Taupo
day 5: explore lake Taupo, drive to matamata
day 6: hobbiton
day 7: drive to Te Whanganui-A-Hei, drive to Auckland
day 8: Auckland
day 9: domestic flight from auckland to christchurch
day 10: Christchurch -> Castle Hill -> (via Aurther Pass) -> Greymounth
day 11: Greymounth -> Punakaiki (pancake rocks and blowholes) -> Franz Josef Glacier (helicopter ride)
day 12: Fox Glacier, Lake Matheson
day 13: Fox Glacier -> Wanaka
day 14: Wanaka
day 15: Wanaka -> Te Anau (cruise to Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound)
day 16: Te Anau -> cruise to Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound) -> Te Anau
day 17: Te Anau -> Queenstown
day 18: Queenstown (Glenorchy, Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables)
day 19: Queenstown -> Mt Cook
day 20: Mt Cook (Hooker Valley trek)
day 21: Mt Cook -> Lake Tekapo
day 22: Lake Tekapo -> Christchurch
day 23: domestic flight from Christchurch to Auckland. 1:30pm flight from Auckland to SG
Thinking whether i shld replace mt taranaki with rotorua coz taranaki is a bit out of the way.
For rotorua, any recommendations for geothermal attractions? Seems like there are quite a few different geothermal parks there. Dunno which one to go

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rotorua can visit hell's gate

Can do the luge at rotorua too, it's better than the one at queenstown cuz it's longer

Yes taranaki is quite out of the way... jus narrow down to those closer to auckland...

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rotorua can visit hell's gate

Can do the luge at rotorua too, it's better than the one at queenstown cuz it's longer

Yes taranaki is quite out of the way... jus narrow down to those closer to auckland...
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Any comments on the rest my itinerary?
Issit too rush? Number days at each place ok, or too long/short?
Any places i shld add or drop based on ur personal experience?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider staying one night at arthur pass instead of greymouth

Other than that looks ok

I still rmb i caught the first amazing spiderman at greymouth :o

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider staying one night at arthur pass instead of greymouth

Other than that looks ok

I still rmb i caught the first amazing spiderman at greymouth :o
Thanks!
Good idea... I may just skip greymount if staying at arthur pass

U worked/studied in new zealand? How come watch movie there?

Last edited:

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jus spent one night there before lor... nth to do and that movie just come out that time then go watch...

Arthur pass also got some tracks u can do... look at temple basin or the devil punchbowl waterfall...

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jus spent one night there before lor... nth to do and that movie just come out that time then go watch...

Arthur pass also got some tracks u can do... look at temple basin or the devil punchbowl waterfall...
Icic

I only scared waterfall not much water, coz i going in nov, snow from mountains may not have melted. But yah, will still go walk walk ard arthur pass

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Icic

I only scared waterfall not much water, coz i going in nov, snow from mountains may not have melted. But yah, will still go walk walk ard arthur pass
u can check out the department of conservation website for brochures for various tracks at various places... very informative... nz is a heaven for hikers...

arthur's pass beside temple basin and devil's punchbowl still got 1 or 2 other nice tracks... the problem is not nth to choose but is hard to choose cuz u got limited time but all nice views :s13:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u can check out the department of conservation website for brochures for various tracks at various places... very informative... nz is a heaven for hikers...

arthur's pass beside temple basin and devil's punchbowl still got 1 or 2 other nice tracks... the problem is not nth to choose but is hard to choose cuz u got limited time but all nice views :s13:
Hahaaa.. Yah, too many nice places and not enuf time.
I feel that i am doing a touch-and-go covering only the main attractions at each place. But at the same time, i dun wan to skip some of those places coz all looks amazing >_<

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.