Back from South island New Zealand

vil

Reaction score
Have been here since start of the month, cold weather has brought snow to some of the mountains and higher elevation places. It’s like winter during summer.

h0neystars

Reaction score
I'm here too. The weather has been super erratic for the entire spring. It can be rainy, sunny and windy within like a short time frame :/

Right now there seem to be a cold wave and the temperatures feels even colder than two months ago on some mornings. Sometimes I still need to wear my winter jacket out because the wind is too strong and cold.

feigningfancy

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm here too. The weather has been super erratic for the entire spring. It can be rainy, sunny and windy within like a short time frame :/

Right now there seem to be a cold wave and the temperatures feels even colder than two months ago on some mornings. Sometimes I still need to wear my winter jacket out because the wind is too strong and cold.
Hopefully the rain don't stay too long for u there. I was quite turned off when it kept raining there.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

h0neystars

Reaction score
how the flooding? i am heading to south in like 8 days time...

has road been cleared?

I think the roads have been cleared but west coast still have some construction going on. Best that you check the NZTA website before you move.

Flooding wise, Queenstown is fine but heard that wanaka tree is still submerged and the waterfront area is still quite unsightly.

There was like a full day of rain on Sunday and Tuesday and more rain on Thursday night till Friday. When it rains, it snows at the mountains and when the sun comes out, it melts all the snow and sends them down into the lake.. causing the water level to rise.

It is also super cold. Night time can go down to single digit too. It doesn't even feel like summer at all!

achtung7

Reaction score
When I left Wanaka on 6 Dec, the water levels are still rising slightly. But I saw news that it has subsided. Queenstown would not feel any after rain effect I guess.
The temp is like single digits at night and it was cold when I was camping out in Queenstown. Back on East coast the temps are better.. low 10s at night.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 SE using GAGT

rabboni

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info here.
Planning a trip next June to NZ for 2 weeks.
Deciding if should chiong Auckland/Wellington/South Island or just Wellington/South Island. Duno if just south island for 2 weeks will sian If similar scenery everyday?

Also will hikes be closed/dangerous during winter?
Rafting/boating can’t be done also?

Thanks.

axe.lim

Reaction score
Hi, need advice here. I'm planning South island trip for my family in dec, especially for my parent. My parent love NZ scenery, so our objective will be mainly "see see look look enjoy the scenery". We're not interested and wont attempt any sport relate activities.

D1 Depart to CHC
D2 CHC (overnight)
D3 CHC to Hokitika (overnight)
D4 FZ/Fox Glacier (overnight) (as I think need overnight break in between)
D5 Glacier to Wanaka (Overnight)
D6 Wanaka (Overnight)
D7 Arrowtown /QN (Overnight)
D8 QN and nearby (Overnight)
D9 QN to Mt Cook village (Overnight)
D10 Mt Cook village to CHC (Overnight) via Lake Tekapo
D11 CHC > SG

Is the above generally feasible?
Our group:
Myself, my sister, my wife and our 6 six years kid
My parent in early 70s

Not sure if this is doable so want to seek as much details as possible...

For D3 enough time to visit Punkaiki before overnight in Hokitika?
For D8, possible to do a day trip to Milford Sound, maybe with local coach tour?
D9/D10 feasible?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, need advice here. I'm planning South island trip for my family in dec, especially for my parent. My parent love NZ scenery, so our objective will be mainly "see see look look enjoy the scenery". We're not interested and wont attempt any sport relate activities.

D1 Depart to CHC
D2 CHC (overnight)
D3 CHC to Hokitika (overnight)
D4 FZ/Fox Glacier (overnight) (as I think need overnight break in between)
D5 Glacier to Wanaka (Overnight)
D6 Wanaka (Overnight)
D7 Arrowtown /QN (Overnight)
D8 QN and nearby (Overnight)
D9 QN to Mt Cook village (Overnight)
D10 Mt Cook village to CHC (Overnight) via Lake Tekapo
D11 CHC > SG

Is the above generally feasible?
Our group:
Myself, my sister, my wife and our 6 six years kid
My parent in early 70s

Not sure if this is doable so want to seek as much details as possible...

For D3 enough time to visit Punkaiki before overnight in Hokitika?
For D8, possible to do a day trip to Milford Sound, maybe with local coach tour?
D9/D10 feasible?

Thanks in advance

What u planned are doable. However u can reduce the number of time to move accommodations.

I did a similar route like u last year May. Arrival at CHC - 1 night, Hokitika 1 nights, Wanaka 3 nights, Queenstown 2 nights, Twizel 2 nights and back to CHC for 1 nights before depart.

On my way from CHC to Hotikita. I visited both at castle hills and devil punchhole waterfall. Plus rest and stop. I reached Hotikita early evening. I didn't have time to go punkaiki. If u like to visit punkaiki and wanted to stay at fox Glacier . Then u can consider staying over at punkaiki and go FJ or fox Glacier the next day. In this way. U spilt up the travel distance equally. Unlike Hotikita to fox Glacier which is not a long drive at all.

The main reason I stayed at Hotikita after coming from CHC is because I did not intend to visit the both glacier and go to wanaka from Hotikita. It was a very long drive from wanaka to Hotikita and I still make it within 5 hours plus.

Arrowtown is in between wanaka and Queentown. U can visit while on the way to Queentown after leaving wanaka. U don't have to stay 1 night there and this way. U will have the extra day for wanaka or Queenstown which can help u to decide to go milford sound. As I did Roy peak hike. That why I stayed 3 nights at wanaka there.

For milford sound. I didnt make the trip there and going there is a very subjective choice. Over here.many recommendated to go but all my friends who visited told me can don't go. Maybe u can decide when u r there since there are many day trip organised from QT.

After driving that kind of long distance in NZ. It is easy for u to drive from QT to Mount cook. Don't have to worry. For me. I didnt stay Mount cook as I prefer to make day trip from twizel to Mount cook and lake Tekapo since twizel is between

Last edited:

fxsg123

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, seeking advice. I read in one article, for south island it's not recommended to drive more than 250KM a day.

I'm going in NZ summertime so should I plan my driving between cities/town and route within 250KM?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, seeking advice. I read in one article, for south island it's not recommended to drive more than 250KM a day.

I'm going in NZ summertime so should I plan my driving between cities/town and route within 250KM?

it's just a guideline, rly depends on the drivers stamina and if u got other ppl to rotate with

for e.g., 1 way from queenstown to milford is alrdy about 280km

i drove from queenstown to/fro milford sound cuz i didnt wan to waste 1 night in te anau cuz i know there's nth much there.

it's very shag for 1 person, but lucky i got my gf to share the load... we woke up before sunrise n started drive in the dark. assuming u can 100km/hr all the way u also need about 3 hrs.

i also drove from mt cook village back to Christchurch, that's more than 300km too.

Posted from PCWX using VOG-L29

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is just a guideline. I drove up to 450km a day before. But I always take a break every 100km in distance and I never drive long distance after a red eye flight. I know some travellers ever took their rental car and camper van go straight to lake Tekapo immediately after arriving Christchurch on the same day

fxsg123

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi both, thks alot.
Good to know, break per 100km look like a gd idea.

I've one qns, from Oamaru toward Wanaka, you will pick which route?

A) SH83 via waitaki valley
B) SH85 via Ranfurly and Cromwell

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi both, thks alot.
Good to know, break per 100km look like a gd idea.

I've one qns, from Oamaru toward Wanaka, you will pick which route?

A) SH83 via waitaki valley
B) SH85 via Ranfurly and Cromwell

From oamaru. SH83 is faster and required shorter distance to go wanaka . (based on Google map)

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have to postpone my trip. My trip was supposed to be next month, i guess can only go next year May.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, things resume back to normal soon, I need to see this beautiful country. Postponed flights to next year already, haven't fixed a date.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.