Best alternative to iPad Mini now?

minamikaze

Reaction score
What's the best alternative to the iPad Mini now - one that's about the same form factor/weight, and also supports active stylus?

Thanks!

hkchew03

Reaction score
What's the best alternative to the iPad Mini now - one that's about the same form factor/weight, and also supports active stylus?

Thanks!

Don't think any mainstream 8" tablet support active stylus.
Personally i find 8" too small for stylus usage as well.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsung has an alternative but performance is so-so due to midrange hardware

https://mynexttablet.com/best-tablets-stylus/

Last edited:

minamikaze

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. It's surprising that nothing even comes close to the iPad mini in the last few years.

JustBored

Reaction score
Im looking towards samsung tab a 8.4" (2020). Not sure when available though.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. It's surprising that nothing even comes close to the iPad mini in the last few years.

Actually try the Huawei M5 8.4". Probably pretty close to the iPad Mini in performance but slightly larger and heavier. No stylus support though.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00421640/

Alternatively try the Huawei M6 8.4". This is the latest, launched a year ago in 2019. Still waiting for the M7. Both the M5 & M6 support GMS. But the M7 will not. The latest MatePad also will not support GMS. But MatePad doesn't have an 8" size.

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im looking towards samsung tab a 8.4" (2020). Not sure when available though.

The last 8.4" Galaxy Tab S2 was released in 2015... it's been 5 years... seems unlikely that Samsung will release another small premium tablet...

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually try the Huawei M5 8.4". Probably pretty close to the iPad Mini in performance but slightly larger and heavier. No stylus support though.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00421640/

Alternatively try the Huawei M6 8.4". This is the latest, launched a year ago in 2019. Still waiting for the M7. Both the M5 & M6 support GMS. But the M7 will not. The latest MatePad also will not support GMS. But MatePad doesn't have an 8" size.
M6 dont have gms. Need to sideload. I using m6 turbo edition as my main phone after my m5 screen crack and send for repair then convert to my main spare phone.

M7 next year or late this year only bah. Will upgrade once can sideload gms.

Sent from Sony SGP771 using GAGT

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M6 dont have gms. Need to sideload. I using m6 turbo edition as my main phone after my m5 screen crack and send for repair then convert to my main spare phone.

M7 next year or late this year only bah. Will upgrade once can sideload gms.

Sent from Sony SGP771 using GAGT

Oh thanks for the correction... so M6 onward no more GMS...

RockingHorse

Reaction score
M6 got no GMS. But can side load. I leave an instruction on how to do it. It work beautifully.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The last 8.4" Galaxy Tab S2 was released in 2015... it's been 5 years... seems unlikely that Samsung will release another small premium tablet...
Not sure what chipset it's using.
tGYcQodl.jpg

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

iceman15

Reaction score
how long do you plan to keep the device?

3-5 years? nothing beats the iPad.
2-3 years? you can look at options from Samsung

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how long do you plan to keep the device?

3-5 years? nothing beats the iPad.
2-3 years? you can look at options from Samsung

I agree. iPad can last 6-7 years when it comes to HW, and probably 4-5 years when it comes to FW upgrades.

My iPad 2 worked from 2011 to 2018 (battery swollen, died)

My iPad Mini 1 has been working from 2013 to now, no FW updates, stuck with iOS 9, but still working.

So I bought iPad 2018 and iPad 2019 in 2018/2019, mainly for the two kids. They were very useful during the Home Based Learing this April and May. We only have one Windows laptop at home. But the iPad can do most of the things for kids in primary school.

I buy the cheapest WiFi models of iPad.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree. iPad can last 6-7 years when it comes to HW, and probably 4-5 years when it comes to FW upgrades.

My iPad 2 worked from 2011 to 2018 (battery swollen, died)

My iPad Mini 1 has been working from 2013 to now, no FW updates, stuck with iOS 9, but still working.

So I bought iPad 2018 and iPad 2019 in 2018/2019, mainly for the two kids. They were very useful during the Home Based Learing this April and May. We only have one Windows laptop at home. But the iPad can do most of the things for kids in primary school.

I buy the cheapest WiFi models of iPad.

My observation comes from my sister's use case... the iPad 2 can be upgraded to iOS 12 but it's painfully slow. So while you can get continuous firmware updates, it doesn't mean it will work well. On the other hand, there are many apps that won't work on iOS 12 now... she can't install Google Drive for example... cos I was trying to help her during HBL during **... same for the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus.

So your mileage may vary...

My own experience with a Sony Tablet Z bought in 2014 and updated from Lollipop (Android 5.0) to Nougat (Android 7.0) is that it still works with most apps from the Play Store especially the important ones... there's no version restriction even though the latest is Android 10 now...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My observation comes from my sister's use case... the iPad 2 can be upgraded to iOS 12 but it's painfully slow. So while you can get continuous firmware updates, it doesn't mean it will work well. On the other hand, there are many apps that won't work on iOS 12 now... she can't install Google Drive for example... cos I was trying to help her during HBL during **... same for the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus.

So your mileage may vary...

My own experience with a Sony Tablet Z bought in 2014 and updated from Lollipop (Android 5.0) to Nougat (Android 7.0) is that it still works with most apps from the Play Store especially the important ones... there's no version restriction even though the latest is Android 10 now...

You mixed up iPad 2 with some other models. It does not support iOS10, let alone iOS 12.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_10

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You mixed up iPad 2 with some other models. It does not support iOS10, let alone iOS 12.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_10

Yes I think so... my apologies... I also have on hand a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 which I bought for my brother-in-law in 2017. It's running Android 7.0 (Nougat) and it still is able to download Call of Duty and run it... I think Android allows most apps to run but will warn that your user experience will not be optimal whereas Apple decides for you and doesn't allow installation at all... which is not surprising since it's quite reflective of the two OS philosophies...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.