Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Connected to US server from Surfshark but denied access to Yeezy Supply website. Seems like the website can detect you are using VPN. So fail...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Based on the feedbacks here and web reviews, ExpressVPN is basically the best all-rounder VPN available in the market with good support, good speeds, stability and enough features.

It is also the top VPN to bypass China GFW even though it may not work well at sensitive times.

Price is a bit higher than others.

Very good for Netflix and other media streaming apps.

2) Surfshark looks like a good and cheaper alternative to ExpressVPN based on the feedbacks here, suitable for different use cases.

It should work for bypassing GFW in China as well by using Shadowsocks or OpenVPN configuration. But the author says the support may not be good. Not so sure how true that is.
https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/best-vpn-for-china.html#2_Surfshark

3) ExpressVPN and Surfsharks may not be good to bypass China geo-blocking contents. For that you need special VPN like Transocks, SpeedIn and ChinaTunnel VPN (seems to be an Shadowsocks provider in disguise). Or you can try UfunR and SpeedCN.

4) Windscribe is also very good choice to bypass geo-blcking contents like Netflix. Speed is fast.

5) NordVPN used to be the top all-rounder VPN after ExpressVPN. But now it is challenged by Surfsharks. It may have better customer support than Surfsharks. Speed may not be the best.

6) Astrill VPN used to rank high in top VPN lists but now disappeared from the lists. Feature rich but more expensive.

7) 12VPN is interesting in its support of many protocols. It can be a good option for China GFW bypassing. Lack of no log policy means it is not the best for privacy.

Last edited:

camile89

Reaction score
Anybody knows which china vpn best for streaming? I tried speedin. Time out because speed CMI. Chinatunnel seems to have died.

1scape

Banned
Reaction score
u looking at streaming in china or out of china? into china can use transocks. out of china can use surfshark. still got the usd 0.8 promo per mth

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows which china vpn best for streaming? I tried speedin. Time out because speed CMI. Chinatunnel seems to have died.

I always use Transocks. Free version (with ads, only for mobile) is good for 720p streaming. You can use the phone version on Android TV boxes as well since the TV version is not free.

SpeedIn you have to use the VIP lines to have better results. Last time SpeedIn is much cheaper than Trabsocks VIP because of buy one get one offer. Now no more such offer.

ChinaTunnel VPN has no free version, you have to pay. But latest version seems to have problems -- I can not even load the app under my Huawei P20.

There are a few other options you can try, UfunR and SpeedCN may work.

You can test with Youku 长安十二时辰 which is blocked (even after paying for VIP). Transocks free lines, SpeedIn free lines, UfunR, SpeedCN VIP test lines, all three work at 1080p (I have VIP for Youku on Mobile/Tablet/PC, up to 1080p).

But SpeedIn free lines may not be so consistent. And I just started to try SpeedCN so they offer free trial for VIP lines. So it is back to Transocks for me and the other three are backups.

I have also paid for purevpn which claims to have China server but it failed. Beijing server can not be connected. Shanghai server becomes HK so can not unblock Youku 长安十二时辰 or even QQ Music.

Last edited:

pkc999

Reaction score
Anyone can pm about the $0.80 surfshark promo?
Thank you

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

BTW, there are a lot of fake SpeedIn apps. In fact now Google Play market only has the monster version of SpeedIn TV version which is authentic. The others are fake.

For Android mobile, you can download from its official website.
https://www.speedin.in/

stiwipl

Reaction score
1) Based on the feedbacks here and web reviews, ExpressVPN is basically the best all-rounder VPN available in the market with good support, good speeds, stability and enough features.

It is also the top VPN to bypass China GFW even though it may not work well at sensitive times.

2) Surfshark looks like a good and cheaper alternative to ExpressVPN based on the feedbacks here, suitable for different use cases.

It should work for bypassing GFW in China as well by using Shadowsocks or OpenVPN configuration. But the author says the support may not be good. Not so sure how true that I'd.
https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/best-vpn-for-china.html#2_Surfshark

3) ExpressVPN and Surfsharks may not be good to bypass China geo-blocking contents. For that you need special VPN like Transocks, SpeedIn and ChinaTunnel VPN (seems to be an Shadowsocks provider in disguise).

4) Windscribe is also very good choice to bypass geo-blcking contents like Netflix.

5) NordVPN used to be the top all-rounder VPN after ExpressVPN. But now it is challenged by Surfsharks. It may have better customer support than Surfsharks.

The absolutely best all rounder if obviously Astrill. It beats all the above mentioned hands down, apart from lack of SS support. However they increased the price to $120 per year, so they are one of the most expensive VPNs on the market. They just had BF promo 15 months for $99. I have also ExpressVPN and I don't find anything special about them that Astrill wouldn't have. Maybe their MediaStreamer DNS was unique as it was (maybe still is) the only DNS that could unblock US Netflix without using VPN. Astrill applet with Asus Merlin FW beats anything you can find on the market for router implementation and you don't have to flash a completely modified FW like in case of ExpressVPN. Astrill's routing options are fantastic, you can just set to route international traffic only, while SG local websites won't be routed.

For the protocols that are lacking at Astrill, I simply use 12VPN, as they have their own SS app on iOS. They support SS servers on 3rd party apps. They have OpenConnect protocol, native WireGuard (that can be used in 3rd party apps - including official, unlike Astrill's Wireguard implementation which is non compatible with 3rd party apps). 12VPN has aslo excellent guides for router setup of the non standard protocols such as WireGuard and SS (OpenWRT compatible routers).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes 12VPN is also recommended by the author of tipsforchina.com for China GFW bypass. But his comments say that 12VPN is more targeting mainland China users and not that good for privacy due to the lack of no log policy.

https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/best-vpn-for-china.html#6_12VPN

Astrill used to rank very high in the list of VPN vendors. Once upon a time it was also the No 1 choices for unblock China GFW but then was heavily targeted by Chinese Authority and then not working any more. Now it disappeared from the list of top VPNs from various websites.

Other VPNs worth looking at. (To be updated).

1) Vypr VPN
Works for China GFW

2) Torguard

3) Tunnel Bear

4) IPvanish
Not good for Netflix, not good for China GFW

5) Cyberghost
Not for China GFW

6) IVacy (Singapore based)

7) purevpn
Known to work with FBI on one case

8) Hotspot Shield Elite

9) StrongVPN

10) private internet access
Not good for Netflix

11) VPN.ac
Works for China GFW

12) AirVPN

13) PrivateVPN

14) ZenMate

Last edited:

decibels

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can nordvpn used in China? If so which country shd I connect to? Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can nordvpn used in China? If so which country shd I connect to? Thanks

Read here. It may not work with the default app.
https://nordvpn.com/blog/vpn-for-china/

In that case, follow the steps to install special OpenVPN configuration.
https://support.nordvpn.com/Connect...2.1307403139.1575727060-2099941557.1575727060

During sensitive times, almost all the well-known VPN will not work in China, including ExpressVPN which is top rank VPN for China GFW bypassing.

So for shorts trips, you may want to use roaming data as the main method for GFW bypass or as the backup to VPN.

SS/V2Ray/Wireguard protocols are popular in China because of this. Even then the Chinese authority has beefed up GFW to be able to detect some of them.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
purevpnas China server is apparently not good based on my testing.

Another VPN vendor openly advertising for China servers to go into China for China contents (bypass geo-blocking) is Ivacy.
https://www.ivacy.com/vpn-servers/china-vpn/

Ivacy has offers now, 5 years for US$30 and life time for US$40 with NAT Firewall add-on.
https://stacksocial.com/sales/ivacy-vpn-5-year-subscription

https://stacksocial.com/sales/ivacy-vpn-lifetime-subscription-5

It had the US$30 life time offer but now sold out.

Any Ivacy user here?

Last edited:

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Any gd vpn for nVidia Shield TV?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.