Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

1scape

Banned
Reaction score
Test results in China (Fijian province).

1) purevpn openvpn configuration works.
Update: the app is also work now with HK server.

5592700505.png

2) My simple V2Ray SG server on Google VPS works pretty well.

3) Windscribe free version does not work.

4) Astrill explicitly mentioned that the free Android version does not support China.

5) 几鸡机场SSR provider free tier works.
https://ji-bn.pw/

6) Free VPN xiaoming VPN and Wang VPN are working and pretty fast (only for testing purposes, not recommend to use on phone, probably can be used for TV boxes with not important account)

7) Some free-ss.site SS servers are also working.

argh astrill and windscribe. what about nordvpn does it work?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Tested BVPN free and both SingTel TV Go and Toggle do not work.

Tested two free SS servers in Singapore and both do not work for either SingTel TV Go and Toggle.

I can not connect to purevpn SG server so I can not test it.

It was more of a question whether BVPN works in China and if yes, how well. I am sure that SG services can be blocked if they block data center IPs (SingTel TV and Toggle) - similarly to Netflix. Synology SSL VPN cannot be beaten in such case, as you would have your private SG IP and nothing would be blocked.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was more of a question whether BVPN works in China and if yes, how well. I am sure that SG services can be blocked if they block data center IPs (SingTel TV and Toggle) - similarly to Netflix. Synology SSL VPN cannot be beaten in such case, as you would have your private SG IP and nothing would be blocked.

I see. Yes bVPN works in China (Smoke mode). Speed is okay, the free version does not offer HK, but Taiwan and SG servers both work okay.

5594150819.png

SG server, needs to test with M1 test server, testing with SingTel or Starhub test server will show much lower download speed.

Last edited:

newfrog

Reaction score
I just paid for one year subscription at U$11.88. For the price I paid I think it is okay.

Then the VPN speed is pretty slow even in Singapore (SG server, US server, UK server). The HK server is okay.

Lastly the iOS app is pretty bad.

I wasted US$11.88 too on purevpn. Windows app is useless, keeps disconnecting and connecting every 3 minutes. didnt help with various protocol so I gave up on it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
argh astrill and windscribe. what about nordvpn does it work?

I do not have NordVPN. I am a bit reluctant to try out ExpressVPN or NordVPN using the money back guarantee feature -- feeling not nice to cancel if working well.

As for Astrill, they are very confident that Astrill will work in China -- but you have to pay, no free trial in China (got free trial for other countries) and the free Android version does not support China.

======
https://www.astrill.com/faq
Do you offer free trial in China?
We do not offer a free trial in China. Astrill service works well in China unlike any other VPN providers who often have problems there.
======

Windscribe free does not work in China, at least the server's I tried. This is perfectly okay.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wasted US$11.88 too on purevpn. Windows app is useless, keeps disconnecting and connecting every 3 minutes. didnt help with various protocol so I gave up on it.

For Windows, try fix IP address mode. Ignore the warning that you have not paid the fix IP address mode.

Live support is pretty good. As you have already paid, make good use of the support. I am actually impressed by the online support. The answer is short and to the point.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.changirecommends.com/overseas_wifi_form.aspx

Changi Airport can rent Wifi router that is configured to China (VPN), is it any good? Has anyone tried before?

In the China travel forum section, some comments mentioned that it worked but speed was slow.

CR vpn router has no issues on whatsapp but have issues on playing videos or watching live videos. My friend used the starhub data roaming is better without as much lags than CR vpn router. But if you only need it for normal fb scrolling, whatsapp, CR vpn is okay for me :)

The above answer was a year ago so not so sure now.

For short trip, data roaming is the best option.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes now I agree with you after trying to no avail to access SingTel TV Go and Toggle in China.

Thanks for the offer, but no need already. I agree with your point now.

It is actually easier to access Netflix in China, the reason is that Netflix does not really block China since the service is not available in China anyway. So you only need to bypass China GFW and connect to a US server then you can access Netflix already. And there are SS providers who offer Netflix shared account in some paid packages.

Not so easy for SingTel TV Go and Toggle. You need to bypass China GFW and connect to a Singapore server, usually the server will need to locate in a data center in SG, so SingTel TV Go and Toggle service providers just need to block the IP addresses from these data centers.

So hosting a home VPN server in SG is a good solution, but then normal openvpn server is too easily blocked by GFW, so you need a better ones, like the Synogy solution, or probably SS/V2Ray on a x86 based soft router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The following is based on my testing in China.

1. SG contents which can be used in China

SingTel Cast (I can watch CNN this way)
CNA app (including CNA live TV)
Zaobao
Ch8 8World app

2. SG contents geo-blocked by Singapore service provider, not easy to get access, so far not yet successful myself

SingTel TV Go
Starhub Go
Toggle

3. SG Contents blocked by China GFW, not so difficult to unblock.

The Straits Times
Today

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The following is based on my testing in China.

1. SG contents which can be used in China

SingTel Cast (I can watch CNN this way)
CNA app (including CNA live TV)
Zaobao
Ch8 8World app

2. SG contents geo-blocked by Singapore service provider, not easy to get access, so far not yet successful myself

SingTel TV Go
Starhub Go
Toggle

3. SG Contents blocked by China GFW, not so difficult to unblock.

The Straits Times
Today

most of what i using wasn't blocked. including sgpool
except dividends.sg. i have to use my home server to access

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes.... ss

Thanks.

BTW I just tried dividends.sg and there is no issue to access with my simple Google Cloud V2Ray SG server on Google Cloud VPS.

Tried another free SG SS server hosted on Linode and there is no issue as well.

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

BTW I just tried dividends.sg and there is no issue to access with my simple Google Cloud V2Ray SG server on Google Cloud VPS.

Tried another free SG SS server hosted on Linode and there is no issue as well.

should be the airport provider's issue. but i just tested dividends.sg. Working again

my friend using the most X provider rix, can't access sgpool :s13:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No. It is free forever as long as they do not discontinue the offer. I think this is probably new and may not last long. So hurry up if you want to try.

Windscribe 10GB (or 20GB) is usually listed as the best free VPN as it allows you to use on all platforms like Windows along with iOS/Android.

But this Astrill free Android VPN has no data limit. So as long as you are okay with the limit and use it on one Android phone, it is actually better than Windscribe free.

Great. I asked because there's an expiry date on the app in Android.

It's quite good.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great. I asked because there's an expiry date on the app in Android.

It's quite good.

Hmm, I do not see any expiry date other than "Get full account" at the top and big "Upgrade to the full plan" at the bottom.

Take note you need to register in order to use.

QOFaZbJ.jpg

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No. It is free forever as long as they do not discontinue the offer. I think this is probably new and may not last long. So hurry up if you want to try.

Windscribe 10GB (or 20GB) is usually listed as the best free VPN as it allows you to use on all platforms like Windows along with iOS/Android.

But this Astrill free Android VPN has no data limit. So as long as you are okay with the limit and use it on one Android phone, it is actually better than Windscribe free.

Thanks Xiaofan, I'm giving this a shot too but the free limit is 10GB, where do you get 20GB?

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I do not see any expiry date other than "Get full account" at the top and big "Upgrade to the full plan" at the bottom.

Take note you need to register in order to use.

QOFaZbJ.jpg

Yeah, I registered and is able to use but mine looks like that

49272092838_f69f400a03_o.jpg

Lil_d3viLz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can beat his record of Speedify. Then his speed of Astrill is too slow since my test of the free Android mobile version is faster.

Is that Speedify like dedicated server? Like paying ~$100/mth?
Right now mine is like 150 ~ 200 mbps.
Any faster recommendable ones above 400mbps?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.