Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

ilOmbr4

Reaction score
Is Astrill 1 year 29.99 a good deal?

Come with Stealth VPN. But it allows only 1 desk/laptop and 1 mobile device. Can I top up to add 1 more laptop?

iirc, they have the Home Plan add-on to be able to connect 5 devices at the same time. or the VPN sharing add-on to share the connection with other devices.

oric1

Reaction score
Which services are able to access China content without buffering problems during peak hours?

- does Astrill work? oric1 able to comment?

Picture paints a thousand words :D

No VPN connected
Tudou%20X_zpsmnzayxzl.png~original

Astrill was able to stream contents from China via OpenVPN in the past but not now because of China's Great Firewall. When trying to connect via OpenVPN, I kept getting "Waiting for server reply".

The Chinese government has long blocked popular Western Web services like Google, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. In January 2015, China went after Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, that people use to sneak around the Great Firewall.

China Censors VPNs To Protect Great Firewall, But Some Manage To Get Through

Astrill OpenVPN can't connect to China servers now
Astrill%20OpenVPN_zpsrxk6m5yz.png~original

After switching to StealthVPN, I was able to bypass the Great Firewall and the download speed was quite impressive too. There were no buffering when streaming in HD.

Astrill StealthVPN managed to bypass Great Firewall
Astrill%20StealthVPN_zpsuf8wk3ua.png~original

Tudou%20OK_zpshasjtarr.png~original

Salmonella, hope I answered your question :D

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am still on the fence on whether to sign up for the 5 years Purevpn or the 1+1 year for the PureVPN. i am be just using configuring the vpn on the Asus router , that's all

Any suggestion ?

Last edited:

Ian

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i am still on the fence on whether to sign up for the 5 years Purevpn or the 1+1 year for the PureVPN. i am be just using configuring the vpn on the Asus router , that's all

Any suggestion ?

I signed up both for the "5 Years or More" and Yearly Sub.
Should have wait for this Black Friday One+One Year Free.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...-4/purevpn-lifetime-subscription-5231673.html

If you use it on your iOS and Android than it should be fine.
I need the SmartDNS features for my Apple TV hence got to sub the Yearly one.

Ian

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Any suggestion ?

Tried it and it's super slow and remove it from my router setting.
Just use the PureVPN Mobile App on both my iOS and Android and it's way better. Just switch On/Off for my NetFlix viewing.

My Apple TV I use SmartDNS to configure within the Apple TV network setting since Apple TV don't have the App just like iOS and Android.

oric1

Reaction score
Which services are able to access China content without buffering problems during peak hours?

- How about Unotelly UnoDNS, since they claim to support pptv, youku, xiami, baidu music, etc? This one should have best performance since it uses SmartDNS?

Using Astrill StealthVPN on the websites above.

PPTV Before
PPTV%20X_zps3v68byyt.png~original

PPTV After
PPTV%20OK_zps13y9bdtq.png~original

Xiami Before
Xiami%20X_zps8jkdljrn.png~original

Xiami After
Xiami%20OK_zpsg188cdzf.png~original

Baidu Music Before
Baidu%20Music%20X_zpsvrbkarcy.png~original

Baidu Music After
Baidu%20Music%20OK_zpsb3a6hzkr.png~original

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried it and it's super slow and remove it from my router setting.
Just use the PureVPN Mobile App on both my iOS and Android and it's way better. Just switch On/Off for my NetFlix viewing.

My Apple TV I use SmartDNS to configure within the Apple TV network setting since Apple TV don't have the App just like iOS and Android.

how is the smartdns compared to unotelly one ?

Dreaming

Reaction score
About Astrill VPN
- private ips can do what with it?
- NAT firewall is it a good option to purchase that?

oric1

Reaction score
About Astrill VPN
- private ips can do what with it?
- NAT firewall is it a good option to purchase that?

I didn't purchase those. For bypassing geo blocking, you don't need that. As to what it's use for, I leave it to others to comment.

oric1

Reaction score
Last edited:

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just tested on Unlocator DNS. No drop in speed. Signed up cause of black friday sale.

Dreaming

Reaction score
I didn't purchase those. For bypassing geo blocking, you don't need that. As to what it's use for, I leave it to others to comment.

im thinking of getting it for gaming.. due to singapore ip block.. so no idea if private ip have any use :s11:

oric1

Reaction score
im thinking of getting it for gaming.. due to singapore ip block.. so no idea if private ip have any use :s11:

Before you start your game, select other country server and see if it's blocked, if it's not blocked then your will save on your monthly IP subscription. US$5/month?

salmonella

Reaction score
Picture paints a thousand words :D
Salmonella, hope I answered your question :D

Thanks much! Yeah, that looks good.

I've signed up for a unotelly trial, and that seems to unblock china content too. I wonder which would be better.

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
im using unotelly dns for a long time, it works good unblocks sites that are blocked .
no drop in speeds.

Dreaming

Reaction score
Before you start your game, select other country server and see if it's blocked, if it's not blocked then your will save on your monthly IP subscription. US$5/month?

the game website blocked me from buying their pre-order but i was able to go on the website pre-order page once i use astrill trial version. Does that mean it works?

Is NAT Firewall useful?

Sensational

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seems like astrill is a good deal? I am keen on signing up but what's up with their verification man? why only recognize US?

oric1

Reaction score
seems like astrill is a good deal? I am keen on signing up but what's up with their verification man? why only recognize US?

I don't have such problem. Why not you online chat with their support, I'm sure they will be able to solve your problem.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.