Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha ExpressVPN is advertised quite heavily in Singapore but I've barely heard of it in Europe and the cost was off-putting as well.

Ended up using it as I was looking for a Singapore server on a short notice and PIA wasn't fast enough.

Do you know who has the fastest Singapore VPN server? Options do seem rather limited compared to US / EU servers.

I use expressvpn app sideload on my nvidia shield tv. Totally cannot work! I choose both their Chicago and LA server but Netflix and Amazon TV all can't watch

stiwipl

Reaction score
I use expressvpn app sideload on my nvidia shield tv. Totally cannot work! I choose both their Chicago and LA server but Netflix and Amazon TV all can't watch

What's the reason? For me ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer DNS are enough to make stream US Netflix via Nvidia Shield (you need to insert them manually in Shield). No reason to use VPN. Also not all ExpressVPN servers are US Netflix unblocked. Check for example Washington's servers - they work.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. I think for the price and performance/experience, it's worth it for my usage.

Though I'm quite a light user. Actually, I was hoping to share the account with another light user.

Quite sian! They don't allow me to access the China server. I just wrote to Astrill and they say the list of available server is pre allocated! So not all are given the same list. Seems like I can only use it for US content

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite sian! They don't allow me to access the China server. I just wrote to Astrill and they say the list of available server is pre allocated! So not all are given the same list. Seems like I can only use it for US content

Is it mentioned anywhere or customers made known about this allocation thing?

Which server do you want? I can check my account. I don't use China.

blurfish29

Reaction score
Pre-allocated? I've used astrill for 7 years and I didn't know that such a thing exists :eek: All my friends' astrill accounts have the China server as well

stiwipl

Reaction score

If you are on 7 day trial, the server list is limited. You need to ask them to enable all servers.

oric1

Reaction score
If you are on 7 day trial, the server list is limited. You need to ask them to enable all servers.

That's correct. Last time when I was on trial, I asked for China servers and they granted all servers.

RachelBerry

Reaction score
Did you guys add any of the additional options (NAT firewall, ProAddon, CrytoPlus etc) for Astrill?
Every option cost ~$5 more per month.
PIA, doesn't have these, it's just straightforward how many months to sub. So this is very new to me.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Did you guys add any of the additional options (NAT firewall, ProAddon, CrytoPlus etc) for Astrill?
Every option cost ~$5 more per month.
PIA, doesn't have these, it's just straightforward how many months to sub. So this is very new to me.

ProAddon is great if you have Tomato/DDWRT/MerlinWRT and intend to use VPN on a router level. Their optimized RouterPro VPN protocol is much faster than standard OpenVPN.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.