Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Looking for VPN for online video streaming only.

Is Astrill the better ones out there in term of speed?

For online streaming, FlyVPN is the best with the cheapest price in town, that it is also able to bypass virtually any geo-blocked contents.

Check it out using their trial.

There are just some purposes of a VPN that a particular user is looking for. Hence, apart from knowing what u dun want(expensive, not reliable.. etc), ask yourself why u wanna use a VPN service.

Astrill's add-ons are expensive, I have paid almost 180 USD just for a year's service(number of simultaneous connections are getting more considerations from VPN users. You might want to assist hooking up a tunnel for your sibling who uses public WIFI often for security; and your parents who begin to enjoy online shopping. a "standard" 5 connections will cost 60 USD from Astrill.). I can't afford another 60 USD just for a NAT-firewall. 240 USD, I might as well get a VPS and set up a VPN company to sell u guys cheap but unreliable service. Jokes aside, in term of support, most of the time, I feel useful on my own only. Spoke to their Level 3 support once, and other than the usual "problem all lies on others", "we can't control many factors" type of talk, nothing else. You cant expect anything from their level 1 tech lines, a simple acknowledging reply averaging 3-5 mins is pissing ppl off. Despite u r already chatting with Astrill's level 1 tech support, after u've been asked to reset your astrill app, switching between servers, protocols, port numbers, u will be asked to email their level 2/3 support... then I wondered, "why can't u just create a ticket for me."

If you hate video contents from China, I personally favor airVPN and switchVPN, they are cheaper yet stable. If security and privacy are your type of things, ExpressVPN provides the most reliable service, their SG server co-located at Jurong is hosted by Softlayer(not the best, but better than most hostings. Astrill's best SG server is from Leaseweb, good and bad experiences). If an all-rounded better routing is in search for, IPvanish's "Tier-1 network" will get you to the furthest. BT and deepweb users will enjoy Torguard's promotional price the most. A small portion of users who are really discerning about "no-logging policies", Perfect privacy is the choice.

Need a review for a specific VPN provider, let me know. I did some hosting tests during the recent years too.

Last edited:

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
For online streaming, FlyVPN is the best with the cheapest price in town, that it is also able to bypass virtually any geo-blocked contents.

Check it out using their trial.

There are just some purposes of a VPN that a particular user is looking for. Hence, apart from knowing what u dun want(expensive, not reliable.. etc), ask yourself why u wanna use a VPN service.

Astrill's add-ons are expensive, I have paid almost 180 USD just for a year's service(number of simultaneous connections are getting more considerations from VPN users. You might want to assist hooking up a tunnel for your sibling who uses public WIFI often for security; and your parents who begin to enjoy online shopping. a "standard" 5 connections will cost 60 USD from Astrill.). I can't afford another 60 USD just for a NAT-firewall. 240 USD, I might as well get a VPS and set up a VPN company to sell u guys cheap but unreliable service. Jokes aside, in term of support, most of the time, I feel useful on my own only. Spoke to their Level 3 support once, and other than the usual "problem all lies on others", "we can't control many factors" type of talk, nothing else. You cant expect anything from their level 1 tech lines, a simple acknowledging reply averaging 3-5 mins is pissing ppl off. Despite u r already chatting with Astrill's level 1 tech support, after u've been asked to reset your astrill app, switching between servers, protocols, port numbers, u will be asked to email their level 2/3 support... then I wondered, "why can't u just create a ticket for me."

If you hate video contents from China, I personally favor airVPN and switchVPN, they are cheaper yet stable. If security and privacy are your type of things, ExpressVPN provides the most reliable service, their SG server co-located at Jurong is hosted by Softlayer(not the best, but better than most hostings. Astrill's best SG server is from Leaseweb, good and bad experiences). If an all-rounded better routing is in search for, IPvanish's "Tier-1 network" will get you to the furthest. BT and deepweb users will enjoy Torguard's promotional price the most. A small portion of users who are really discerning about "no-logging policies", Perfect privacy is the choice.

Need a review for a specific VPN provider, let me know. I did some hosting tests during the recent years too.

Thanks.

Simply too many VPNs in the market to choose..:s22:

avo7007

Reaction score
Looking for VPN for online video streaming only.

Is Astrill the better ones out there in term of speed?

Why consider VPN only if you are just doing video streaming? How about smart DNS services? I am getting Netflix USA on a USD1/mth smart DNS service.

Last edited:

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
Agreed. In term of streaming, DNS proxy is the more economical way of bypassing geo-blocked contents, moreover there's no speed variant.

Nevertheless, VPN serves many other purposes should a user in concern with. Despite the expensive services offered by Astrill, should any bro interested to test its service free for 7 days, please do consider using my reference link: https://astrill4u.com/trial/372871880880b After page is loaded, click bottom right to speak with the sales department to activate your 7 days trial.

God bless.

I am using Smart DNS Proxy. No lost in download speed on my end. Try this link for their current promo:

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/sdppr...email&utm_campaign=MothersDay&utm_medium=drip

Make sure to enable Netflix proxy after you registered. It is disabled by default for some reason. They have free trial so no worries.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
My 2-year contract with Astrill will expire in 27 days time

Mainly used to watch Chinese video streaming sites like iQiyi, Youku, Tudou, ACFun, Bilibili, etc

I don't torrent

Current price for a 2-year membership is USD169.99,without any add-ons

The connection speed to China is stable and good but sometimes the China server will disappear for a while and then re-appear

Is smartDNS a better option since i do not torrent and i presume smartDNS can geo-unlock Chinese video streaming sites?

jimbo73

Reaction score

Mainly used to watch Chinese video streaming sites like iQiyi, Youku, Tudou, ACFun, Bilibili, etc

I don't torrent

The connection speed to China is stable and good but sometimes the China server will disappear for a while and then re-appear

Is smartDNS a better option since i do not torrent and i presume smartDNS can geo-unlock Chinese video streaming sites?

same boat.. interested to know too

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
dude, drop the hope. these dns servers are mostly good with anywhere else than China. if u read more on China government's approach to internet usage at the mainland, hardly there will be any company who has the intention of selling u DNS servers to work in China, even there is they won't survive for long.

astrill's china2 sucked to be honest, never once like to use it. the most connect to USA china optimised.

I don't torrent

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
dude, drop the hope. these dns servers are mostly good with anywhere else than China. if u read more on China government's approach to internet usage at the mainland, hardly there will be any company who has the intention of selling u DNS servers to work in China, even there is they won't survive for long.

astrill's china2 sucked to be honest, never once like to use it. the most connect to USA china optimised.

Oh...so you recommned to use the USA China Optimised server?

I know China is very tricky to stream media from.... so far Astrill has not a bad connection to China.....

If that is the case then maybe i should extend for another 2 years..?

oric1

Reaction score

I don't torrent

The best time to sign-up is Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I paid only US$99.95 for 2-year with ProAddon (StealthVPN, RouterPro VPN & connect 2 devices at the same time). I suggest you wait for Nov or Dec when the offer is on.

suntanoi1983

Reaction score
I need to know your purposes of using the VPN.

If just for streaming China contents, u shouldn't even buy Astrill. There is the infamous FlyVPN outrunning every of its competitors to bypass geo-blocked China contents . U will be amazed by their China servers after u pay. Refund can be done if ur not satisfied. Alternatively, search harder for a free China proxy server every time u want to stream, then u don't have to pay anything. Do note that, if u r connected to a China local server from the VPN, then u will not be able to get access to Facebook etc... common sense? duh.

Look a bit deeper under this thread, I have a more detailed introduction of a China VPN/accelerator, it's the most expensive yet best tunnel(better than FlyVPN) in term of speed/latency(for gamers) for all China servers - N2ping, http://www.n2ping.com?toreg=69735&platform=email, u can use my referral link to test the premium service for 12 hours. And if you intend to purchase afterwards, we both will get rewarded. Otherwise, there won't be any bonus time. If u get this, then the client will only tunnel ur traffics to/from China. U can still use another VPN to partner with N2ping theoretically bypassing all restricted contents worldwide.

IMHO, I would not buy any VPN service over 1 year. Things are changing fast these days... be wise.

Oh...so you recommned to use the USA China Optimised server?

I know China is very tricky to stream media from.... so far Astrill has not a bad connection to China.....

If that is the case then maybe i should extend for another 2 years..?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.