Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried vpn ac with their trial, really not bad. Will be subscribing to a full year service. They also allow p2p and has many ways to encrypt in case one fail.
I don't any lag at all for surfing.

They keep log for one day only. By the time any people ask them for it, they delete liao. They are based in Romania with little alliance with spy countries. They also has an option for an overkill of 256bit encryption to make cracking super difficult.

Also has double hop encryption.

I used teamviewer to try my pc located in a kampung farmland in China, looks okay too.

Don't know how to use on android box and open up Hk channels :o

fishdundee

Reaction score
VPN to see china shows like youku, pptv....

Hi guys...

Other than Flyvpn, is there any other vpn that provides china ip addresses to access China streaming sites?

How does hidemyass fare in the streaming of video of china servers?

matique

Reaction score
What's everyones VPN speed connected to USA? I have tried several big VPN companies and they are well under 30Mbps. I'm connected via singtel gigabit plan and on local servers without vpn i get around 500Mbps wired. It is a low for gigabit but fixing it soon.

Connected to Los Angeles, USA (average of three speed tests, wired ethernet, 256bit encryption, VPN through respective apps on Nvidia Shield)
ExpressVPN: 17Mbps
IPvanish: 10Mbps
VyprVPN: 15Mbps

Although expressvpn is the fastest i find VyprVPN to be the most stable. All three can access HBOnow, Hulu & Netflix. However it takes a long while to buffer up to 1080p/4k quality.

Just wondering what speeds everyone else is getting, particularly VPNac, Mullard and Torguard. Using VPN more for relocating geolocation rather than security.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's everyones VPN speed connected to USA? I have tried several big VPN companies and they are well under 30Mbps. I'm connected via singtel gigabit plan and on local servers without vpn i get around 500Mbps wired. It is a low for gigabit but fixing it soon.

Connected to Los Angeles, USA (average of three speed tests, wired ethernet, 256bit encryption, VPN through respective apps on Nvidia Shield)

Although expressvpn is the fastest i find VyprVPN to be the most stable. All three can access HBOnow, Hulu & Netflix. However it takes a long while to buffer up to 1080p/4k quality.

Just wondering what speeds everyone else is getting, particularly VPNac, Mullard and Torguard. Using VPN more for relocating geolocation rather than security.
You can still watch USA Netflix? Earlier Netflix has blocked all VPN.

matique

Reaction score
You can still watch USA Netflix? Earlier Netflix has blocked all VPN.

ExpressVPN is a bit finicky, sometimes can sometimes cannot depending on what server you assigned to.

IPvanish using los angeles server a58 i can access netflix no issue also.

VyperVPN any server is fine, just use their chameleon encryption.

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wired connection, TorGuard, OpenVPN-TCP, 256-256
GYtFfam.png

Wired connection, TorGuard, OpenConnect-TCP, 256
NN4mjUr.png

The TorGuard VPN service that I subscribed to does not provide a dedicated IP so I believe can't bypass Netflix geo-block restriction. I believe dedicated IP is a pay-extra option.

matique

Reaction score
Wired connection, TorGuard, OpenVPN-TCP, 256-256

Wired connection, TorGuard, OpenConnect-TCP, 256

The TorGuard VPN service that I subscribed to does not provide a dedicated IP so I believe can't bypass Netflix geo-block restriction. I believe dedicated IP is a pay-extra option.

Damn the encryption matters that greatly huh? 14 and 101 is a huge difference. Maybe i'll try 128bit to see if that'll improve things.

ZenZeZ

Reaction score
I'm looking for a vpn for gaming, server's are located in south korea. Any recommendations, also opinions on WTFast for games? Been reading it up and some are saying its just a sham.

matique

Reaction score
I'm looking for a vpn for gaming, server's are located in south korea. Any recommendations, also opinions on WTFast for games? Been reading it up and some are saying its just a sham.

Just try out a few VPNs. Most have a 15day period where you can get a full refund anyway :)

sevenfightclub

Reaction score
I've scrolled through the comments and still not sure what to get.

I'm looking for a VPN for mainly US content. I won't be using it to torrent or download anything.

-Mac user (so something I can use on my iPhone and Mac would be great)
-Security and privacy crucial
-Not slow speeds

Any recommendations? Articles tend to point me to Nord and Express.

Last edited:

我猜我猜我猜猜猜

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've scrolled through the comments and still not sure what to get.

I'm looking for a VPN for mainly US content. I won't be using it to torrent or download anything.

-Mac user (so something I can use on my iPhone and Mac would be great)
-Security and privacy crucial
-Not slow speeds

Any recommendations? Articles tend to point me to Nord and Express.

choose those that have 7-30day money back guarantee, test it not happy change.

Last edited:

edocmv

Reaction score
https://torrentfreak.com/purevpn-logs-helped-fbi-net-alleged-cyberstalker-171009/

PureVPN Logs Helped FBI Net Alleged Cyberstalker

By Andy on October 9, 2017
C: 30

Breaking

A Massachusetts man was arrested late last week on suspicion of conducting a cyberstalking campaign against a female former roommate, her friends, and family. Court documents reveal that logs, obtained by the FBI from privacy service PureVPN, helped the prosecution. Until now, PureVPN had always maintained it carried no logs - almost.

Last Thursday, Ryan S. Lin, 24, of Newton, Massachusetts, was arrested on suspicion of conducting “an extensive cyberstalking campaign” against his former roommate, a 24-year-old Massachusetts woman, as well as her family members and friends.

According to the Department of Justice, Lin’s “multi-faceted campaign of computer hacking and cyberstalking” began in April 2016 when he began hacking into the victim’s online accounts, obtaining personal photographs, sensitive information about her medical and sexual histories, and other private details.

It’s alleged that after obtaining the above material, Lin distributed it to hundreds of others. It’s claimed he created fake online profiles showing the victim’s home address while soliciting sexual activity. This caused men to show up at her home.

“Mr. Lin allegedly carried out a relentless cyber stalking campaign against a young woman in a chilling effort to violate her privacy and threaten those around her,” said Acting United States Attorney William D. Weinreb.

“While using anonymizing services and other online tools to avoid attribution, Mr. Lin harassed the victim, her family, friends, co-workers and roommates, and then targeted local schools and institutions in her community. Mr. Lin will now face the consequences of his crimes.”

While Lin awaits his ultimate fate (he appeared in U.S. District Court in Boston Friday), the allegation he used anonymization tools to hide himself online but still managed to get caught raises a number of questions. An affidavit submitted by Special Agent Jeffrey Williams in support of the criminal complaint against Lin provides most of the answers.

Describing Lin’s actions against the victim as “doxing”, Williams begins by noting that while Lin was the initial aggressor, the fact he made the information so widely available raises the possibility that other people got involved with malicious acts later on. Nevertheless, Lin remains the investigation’s prime suspect.

According to the affidavit, Lin is computer savvy having majored in computer science. He allegedly utilized a number of methods to hide his identity and IP address, including TOR, Virtual Private Network (VPN) services and email providers that “do not maintain logs or other records.”

But if that genuinely is the case, how was Lin caught?

First up, it’s worth noting that plenty of Lin’s aggressive and stalking behaviors towards the victim were demonstrated in a physical sense, offline. In that respect, it appears the authorities already had him as the prime suspect and worked back from there.

In one instance, the FBI examined a computer that had been used by Lin at a former workplace. Although Windows had been reinstalled, the FBI managed to find Google Chrome data which indicated Lin had viewed articles about bomb threats he allegedly made. They were also able to determine he’d accessed the victim’s Gmail account and additional data suggested that he’d used a VPN service.

“Artifacts indicated that PureVPN, a VPN service that was used repeatedly in the cyberstalking scheme, was installed on the computer,” the affidavit reads.

From here the Special Agent’s report reveals that the FBI received cooperation from Hong Kong-based PureVPN.

“Significantly, PureVPN was able to determine that their service was accessed by the same customer from two originating IP addresses: the RCN IP address from the home Lin was living in at the time, and the software company where Lin was employed at the time,” the agent’s affidavit reads.

Needless to say, while this information will prove useful to the FBI’s prosecution of Lin, it’s also likely to turn into a huge headache for the VPN provider. The company claims zero-logging, which clearly isn’t the case.

“PureVPN operates a self-managed VPN network that currently stands at 750+ Servers in 141 Countries. But is this enough to ensure complete security?” the company’s marketing statement reads.

“That’s why PureVPN has launched advanced features to add proactive, preventive and complete security. There are no third-parties involved and NO logs of your activities.”

PureVPN privacy graphic

However, if one drills down into the PureVPN privacy policy proper, one sees the following:

Our servers automatically record the time at which you connect to any of our servers. From here on forward, we do not keep any records of anything that could associate any specific activity to a specific user. The time when a successful connection is made with our servers is counted as a ‘connection’ and the total bandwidth used during this connection is called ‘bandwidth’. Connection and bandwidth are kept in record to maintain the quality of our service. This helps us understand the flow of traffic to specific servers so we could optimize them better.

This seems to match what the FBI says – almost. While it says it doesn’t log, PureVPN admits to keeping records of when a user connects to the service and for how long. The FBI clearly states that the service also captures the user’s IP address too. In fact, it appears that PureVPN also logged the IP address belonging to another VPN service (WANSecurity) that was allegedly used by Lin to connect to PureVPN.

That record also helped to complete another circle of evidence. IP addresses used by
Kansas-based WANSecurity and Secure Internet LLC (servers operated by PureVPN) were allegedly used to access Gmail accounts known to be under Lin’s control.

Somewhat ironically, this summer Lin took to Twitter to criticize VPN provider IPVanish (which is not involved in the case) over its no-logging claims.

“There is no such thing as a VPN that doesn’t keep logs,” Lin said. “If they can limit your connections or track bandwidth usage, they keep logs.”

Or, in the case of PureVPN, if they log a connection time and a source IP address, that could be enough to raise the suspicions of the FBI and boost what already appears to be a pretty strong case.

If convicted, Lin faces up to five years in prison and three years of supervised release.
Tagged in:
logging, PureVPN

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Wireless Connection, No VPN, local speed test

Wireless Connection, Private Internet Access, connected to its US West server, UDP, AES-128

Wireless Connection, Private Internet Access, connected to its US West server, UDP, AES-256

sorry no wired connection speedtest results to share.. :o

oric1

Reaction score

All using wired Ethernet to test.

Local server, no VPN
6710472259.png

Astrill VPN (OpenWeb), Los Angeles, CA
6710477256.png

Astrill VPN (OpenVPN), Los Angeles, CA, AES-256 encryption, UDP
6710659242.png

Astrill VPN (OpenVPN), Los Angeles, CA, encryption disabled, UDP
6710695471.png

mospeada

Reaction score
Does anyone know why among all these top VPN listed, china is not in the listed location for their VPN servers? Is any VPN which covers China?

moot_sg

Reaction score
VPN newbie here, just dropping a note here to check if my experience is typical:

Spent the night trying out three different services.

Trust.Zone: 1 hour. Instructions does not match the fields on my router control panel at all. (ASUSWRT on a RT-68U). Gave up.

Smart DNS Proxy: 45 minutes. Not a VPN, I know. Anyways: Set it up on the router as well as on my PS4. Discovered that the Japan server is not available for trial users. Then tried the US Playstation Store--can't download free episodes. NEXT.

PIA: 30 minutes. Looked hopeful because it had a guide specific to ASUSWRT. Followed the steps, but connection status is... FALSE. Spends 15 minutes struggling with online form (it insists I didn't finish all the fields). I give up, sends by email instead.

And that's a night wasted. In the end it's not about speeds, but about whether it works AT ALL. Is this typical?

vabellabel

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently on astrill vpn until Jan 2018. I want to check what is the best vpn to use if i want to stream netflix USA.

Also, what are the procedures to subscribe to netflix USA? Do i pay using paypal or credit card? what address to put?

please advise. Thank you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.