Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

camile89

Reaction score
Anybody using Surfshark with Windows PC? I seem to be having an issue with connecting to their servers via IKEv2 protocol and the support team has no solution for me.

Once I am connected to their server,my internet dies. I have to disable the vpn for my internet to be normal again.

Wondering if I am the only one....

Cirevek67

Reaction score
Anybody using Surfshark with Windows PC? I seem to be having an issue with connecting to their servers via IKEv2 protocol and the support team has no solution for me.

Once I am connected to their server,my internet dies. I have to disable the vpn for my internet to be normal again.

Wondering if I am the only one....

Could it be a problem with your ISP? Maybe are blocking you somehow? I'm on mac surfshark app and never had this kind of problem.

camile89

Reaction score
Could it be a problem with your ISP? Maybe are blocking you somehow? I'm on mac surfshark app and never had this kind of problem.

Unfortunately, netflix not working on my andriod box either. Looks like i am stuck with expressvpn. Sigh. Pricey.

Tried surfshark since i read other reviews about good speed. When I did a speed test though, my down speed dropped from 48 to 20mbps.

Last edited:

cooldude00

Reaction score
hi - looking for help to set up expressvpn and watch US netflix via xbox app? can't seem to find much on this so help appreciated.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In China for a short trip, a few notes.

1) Singapore SIM card roaming data works for Facebook and WhatsApp. I bought 1GB 30 days for S$11 with a Starhub Prepaid Card, which is cheaper than the S$20 SingTel 1GB roaming data plan with my SingTel main plan (Combo 2).

2) Tunsafe (Wireguard implementation) does not seem to work.

3) The free one year Seed4Me VPN seems to work with the Taiwan Server, speed is quite slow but good enough for WhatsApp and Facebook.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2998887231
Server: SingTel
Download: 1.37Mbps
Upload: 0.44Mbps

The test may not reflect the real speed. At least I can watch 720p YouTube video.

Without VPN it is decent with a 100Mbps broadband and a cheap S$12 Wireless N router.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2999184467
41.6Mbps down and 20.1Mbps up.

4) Free Windscribe does not work.

5) Free TunnelBear does not work.

Will try Shadowsocket servers later.

Last edited:

Cirevek67

Reaction score
How is the experience with surfshark so far? Do they have trial or money back guarantee?

As far as I know, there's no free trial, but they do offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

My opinion didn't really change after using it more. My personal conclusion is that it's a solid, still rising, VPN provider. Wouldn't surprise me that they would become a top 10 provider in a few years.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
big event today.
recommend not to use ssr.
if u can...use xchacha20-ietf-poly1305 + TLS

Hmm, what happened?

I just found a free SG SS server with decent speed with pretty fast loading on Facebook and YouTube. But it only supports aes-256-cfb.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2999791972

BTW, for the 7 day trip, I bought Shadowrocket full version from App Store. I have also 1GB StarHub prepaid roaming data for outside use. And the free 1 year Seed4Me works albeit a bit slow.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the tip, read the news and there were indeed big events in China. I am just a tourist and only access Facebook and Gmail so should be okay.

Just some quick notes.

1) For short trip, it is possible to survive on 1GB data using Starhub prepaid roaming data (S$8 for 7 days or S$11 for 30 days.

2) Install the software before the trip to China and test them before hand. Like Shadowrocket (worth to pay for, better experience than the free Android counterpart ) for iOS and Shadowsocks for Android (free). And your preferred VPN.

3) For this trip I tried a few free ones and only Seed4Me Taiwan server works. It enables me to access Facebook and WhatsApp. It also give me access free shadiwsocks server list sites using Google.

4) ShadowSocks servers are much faster than VPN and many of them are on the Digital Ocean or similar VPS. Free ones usually only last one day or very short life span.

5) I have not found any working Wireguard server yet. Supposedly Tunsave works but it does not work for me.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home if u want to unblock Facebook etc in China?

Not ready for that yet. No one else is tech savvy at home and I do not want to mess up with Internet access for the family members.

It is perfectly okay for me not to have access to Facebook or Google or WhatsApp for a week. It is absolutely disaster (for me) if the rest of the family members lose internet access for half a day.

And actually I do not really use PC myself at home — laptop is mainly used by my wife and I am using Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi or Android TV boxes as my PC occasionally— mostly on iPhone or Android phones.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Not ready for that yet. No one else is tech savvy at home and I do not want to mess up with Internet access for the family members.

It is perfectly okay for me not to have access to Facebook or Google or WhatsApp for a week. It is absolutely disaster (for me) if the rest of the family members lose internet access for half a day.

And actually I do not really use PC myself at home — laptop is mainly used by my wife and I am using Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi or Android TV boxes as my PC occasionally— mostly on iPhone or Android phones.

You can run a VPN server on one of your PI if u do not want to mess around on the router. At most you have to forward a port on your router to the pi for VPN access. I don't see how it will break your internet.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can run a VPN server on one of your PI if u do not want to mess around on the router. At most you have to forward a port on your router to the pi for VPN access. I don't see how it will break your internet.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this when I am back to SG next week.

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
Norton has a new Norton Secure VPN that charges yearly subscription.

Anyone already tried? Will it work in China (eg let you access Facebook, Youtube etc?).

TIA.

Edit : Spoke to support from Norton, they said cannot due to China's policy.

Last edited:

Sadist4life

Reaction score
How is the experience with surfshark so far? Do they have trial or money back guarantee?

They keep their word. I've ever refunded the subscription on the 30th day and they processed it. But they will ask you for the reasons and try their best to troubleshoot the issues you are facing prior to the refund.

Unfortunately, netflix not working on my andriod box either. Looks like i am stuck with expressvpn. Sigh. Pricey.

Tried surfshark since i read other reviews about good speed. When I did a speed test though, my down speed dropped from 48 to 20mbps.

Surfshark's speeds are okay for streaming, but it's not so good for torrenting.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.