Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Cirevek67

Reaction score
turns out to be duckduckgo privacy addon
all good after disabling ... phew!
may i know if you watching netflix 4K and if 4K stream is stable?

Happy to hear that you fixed it. Sadly no, don't have 4k TV :( Nevertheless, the stream is stable as of now.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
didn't have much time to test, probably do a more detailed test during the weekend. but some quirks when using fast.com
1. client appears to be US irregardless where to connect to (i.e SG, US, UK etc)
2. server keeps changing

quick test, not good, thruput not consistent. not sure if it's problem with my hardware or ISP?

how do you test yours? normal surfing is OK. local speednet tests are fine too. am more concern how to test with netflix US ...

thanks! 200mbps certainly impressive with MU-MIMO. may i know how you test?
all the various speed test apps and sites online lor.. speedtest.net, speedtest.com.sg, fast.com, dslreport.com

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

kherro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have sign up for Ivacy VPN. I'm using it to watch Netflix with US content.

I managed to get it working on my iphone and my ipad.

However, I have a sony android TV, i installed the app on the TV, when I turn on the VPN and go into netflix, it shows me proxy error.

Anyway to go around this? Do i have to set up the VPN on the router instead?

My TV is connected via ethernet cable, not on Wifi.
TIA

biscuitee

Reaction score
This method doesnt work anymore. Just back from China and I managed to connect to my home VPN in the first day while I was there. From 2nd days onward, the China firewall blocked my VPN and am no longer able to connect to it anymore.

biscuitee

Reaction score
Why not just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home if u want to unblock Facebook etc in China?

This method doesnt work anymore. Just back from China and I managed to connect to my home VPN in the first day while I was there. From 2nd days onward, the China firewall blocked my VPN and am no longer able to connect to it anymore.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

It seems to work for my relatives that went to china for a month.

Maybe it's the isp/carrier that block it or the IP address of your home internet changed?

Meatfactory

Reaction score
Hi All,

However, I have a sony android TV, i installed the app on the TV, when I turn on the VPN and go into netflix, it shows me proxy error.

TIA

Are you connnected to the same US server for your tv as you did for your iPhone and iPad?

If you are, then sometimes Netflix could have blocked it if you are streaming from a tv.

I used to use smart dns and it worked on my computer but not via my tv.
Checked with the provider and they confirmed that streaming via tv was blocked.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using ac vpn in China. Still no problem.

Why people still using expressvpn is really weird. :o

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try connecting your TV via wifi ... for some reason, some apps may not work correctly on wired ethernet
Hi All,

TIA

kherro

Reaction score
Are you connnected to the same US server for your tv as you did for your iPhone and iPad?

If you are, then sometimes Netflix could have blocked it if you are streaming from a tv.

I used to use smart dns and it worked on my computer but not via my tv.
Checked with the provider and they confirmed that streaming via tv was blocked.
I actually set it to automatic sever. I asked the support, he mention might need to set up on router. But im staying with my parents, setting the VPN at router will slow down their internet speed.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems to work for my relatives that went to china for a month.

Maybe it's the isp/carrier that block it or the IP address of your home internet changed?

That could be the possibility.

On the other hand, the Great Firewall is getting better and better now and it can block normal VPN including your homebrew one.

Ref: overview of the GFW bypassing tool history
http://www.chinagfw.org/2018/11/blog-post_27.html?m=1

It is said that you may need to change the configuration and/or adding obfuscation patch to use OpenVPN to bypass GFW now.

SS/SSR/V2Ray and Wireguard (may need obfuscation enhancement) seem to be the more popular way to bypass GFW.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Why people still using expressvpn is really weird. :o

Yes from what I read VPN.ac is one of the best cost effective VPN to use in China.

On the other hand, ExpressVPN is always dependable in different use cases and that is probably why people are still using it despite the higher cost.

I have not tried VPN.ac and ExpressVPN yet for the trip last week. I used free TurboVPN and Seed4Me to get access to the following link and then use free shadowsocks server listed in the site.

https://free-ss.site/

Sometimes I just used Turbo VPN since the speed is decent.

260Wolskel

Reaction score

Why people still using expressvpn is really weird.
:o

I subscribe to vpn ac based on your input in this thread. I am currently in China and I can confirm vpn ac is working fine! Thanks for your input earlier!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I subscribe to vpn ac based on your input in this thread. I am currently in China and I can confirm vpn ac is working fine! Thanks for your input earlier!

Real life testing of VPNs in China.
https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/vpn-in-china-2018-blog.html

He recommends Express VPN, Nord VPN and VPN.ac. VPN.ac is the most cost effective among the three.

On the other hand, the author starts to try out ShadowSocks server as well --- faster speed than traditional VPN.

Cirevek67

Reaction score
A bit off topic but did anyone try using surfshark in China? I'm just curious if it works and if it does, how well.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but did anyone try using surfshark in China? I'm just curious if it works and if it does, how well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/92prkp/surfshark_vpn_for_china/

A bit old news but it seems to work in China but not fast. It may or may not work in China now since GFW evolves pretty fast.

From.what I gathered from various websites:

Updated on 31 Dec 2018

1) VPN vendors consistently working in China well over the years are limited.

Express VPN
Nord VPN
Astrill VPN
VPN.ac
Vypr VPN
2) Sometimes working sometimes not working
Pure VPN (most of time should work)
Hotspot Shield Elite (most of time should work).
CyberGhost

3) Usually not working in China:
Windscribe
Private Internet Access
Ivacy
TunnelBear

Edit to add:
4) VPN which is working now

Turbo VPN (tested the free version in Dec 2018 and with decent speed)

Surfshark

Seed4Me (tested in Dec 2018, works but slow)

Last edited:

Cirevek67

Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/92prkp/surfshark_vpn_for_china/

A bit old news but it seems to work in China but not fast. It may or may not work in China now since GFW evolves pretty fast.

From.what I gathered from various websites:

VPN vendors consistently working in China well over the years are limited.

Express VPN
Nord VPN
Astrill VPN
VPN.ac
Vypr VPN

Sometimes working sometimes not working
Pure VPN
CyberGhost

Usually not working in China:
Windscribe
Private Internet Access
Thanks for the insight! Good to know!

I found a more recent article (early December) about surfshark working in China.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.