Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

jowy_ham

Reaction score
Is the Surfshark $0.80 promo code still valid ?

Can someone plsssss PM me the Surfshark $0.80 promo code ?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ExpressVPN works for me in china, and unlike surf shark does not need me to subscribe for 1 year before allowing me to use 7 days trial

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surfshark dont work in china for me

https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/how-to-set-up-and-use-surfshark-vpn-in-china.html

Have you tried the Shadowsocks method or the OpenVPN method in the above article?

ExpressVPN works for me in china, and unlike surf shark does not need me to subscribe for 1 year before allowing me to use 7 days trial

Yes ExpressVPN is better than Surfshark in China. The above author ranks it the top VPN in China. But take note even ExpressVPN may not work in China from time to time. It is said that even plain Shadowsocks server is being recognized and blocked in China now.

As per the other poster, Astrill VPN may still be better in China. 12VPN is another option.

https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/how-to-set-up-and-use-surfshark-vpn-in-china.html

Surfshark is one of the best VPN deals that you will find anywhere.

Get Surfshark for only $1.99/month

But the question you may want to know is: Does Surfshark VPN work in China?

Yes, Surfshark does work in China. In fact, it is currently rated #2 on the Best VPN for China page.

However, it can be very tricky to set up.

If you are looking for a more user-friendly VPN to use in China, ExpressVPN is a better choice. The apps are always working in China and they are easy to use.

The main problem with Surfshark is that the apps don't usually work in China, so you will likely need to set up manual connections. And don't expect too much help from Surfshark support (it's about as good as you can expect from a VPN that charges under $2/month).

But don't worry, I'm going to show you everything you need to know about how to use Surfshark in China with manual OpenVPN and Shadowsocks connections.

The Surfshark apps may or may not be working in China at the time you are reading this guide, so you could always try them first before following these steps.

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Have you tried the Shadowsocks method or the OpenVPN method in the above article?

Yes ExpressVPN is better than Surfshark in China. The above author ranks it the top VPN in China. But take note even ExpressVPN may not work in China from te to time. It is said that even plain Shadowsocks server is being recognized and blocked in China now.

As per the other poster, Astrill VPN may still be better in China. 12VPN is another option.

ExpressVPN Works well when connected but it will lose connectivity randomly as well

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes ExpressVPN is better than Surfshark in China. The above author ranks it the top VPN in China. But take note even ExpressVPN may not work in China from te to time. It is said that even plain Shadowsocks server is being recognized and blocked in China now.

https://10beasts.net/best-vpn-china/
This website has some interesting info as well. It has testing data for a few VPNs, including ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, IVacy and purevpn.

如果使用正规VPN厂商的产品,出现无法正常连接翻墙的时候,不要着急,这很正常。请第一时间先去检查你所使用的版本是否为最新的,也可以查阅本站的“VPN连接问题”栏目,最重要的还是要第一时间联系VPN的官方客服。购买正规VPN好处不止在于安全,你还能得到强有力的售后保障。请永远也不要相信,拥有一款VPN之后就可以一劳永逸,那是不可能的,因为你身处中国,一个神奇的国度。

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will visit China from next Monday onwards for one week. So I will put purevpn (app and openvpn) and some free SS servers for testing.

If I can bypass GFW (hopefully I can), I will test whether the SG servers can use Toggle, SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

I do not have high hopes for purevpn though. So I have a few backup solution as well. But this time I will try without Starhub prepaid card data roaming which is the sure working solution for short term visit.

Dec 2017 China visit: SingTel data roaming + company VPN on laptop. Both were working.

Dec 2018 China visit: Starhub prepaid card data roaming (working), Seed4Me one year free (sometimes working), free SS servers (some servers working). Bought the Shadowrocket client for my iPhone 6S. Used official SS client on Huawei P20.

Dec 2019 China visit: purevpn paid version, free SS servers, to be tested.

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I will visit China from next Monday onwards for one week. So I will put purevpn (app and openvpn) and some free SS servers for testing.

If I can bypass GFW (hopefully I can), I will test whether the SG servers can use Toggle, SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

I do not have high hopes for purevpn though. So I have a few backup solution as well. But this time I will try without Starhub prepaid card data roaming which is the sure working solution for short term visit.

Dec 2017 China visit: SingTel data roaming + company VPN on laptop. Both were working.

Dec 2018 China visit: Starhub prepaid card data roaming (working), Seed4Me one year free (sometimes working), free SS servers (some servers working). Bought the Shadowrocket client for my iPhone 6S. Used official SS client on Huawei P20.

Dec 2019 China visit: purevpn paid version, free SS servers, to be tested.

I tried, no need to use any vpn to see singtel cast epl but toggle is blocked

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried, no need to use any vpn to see singtel cast epl but toggle is blocked

Thanks. So Singtel Cast is not blocked in China. Interesting. It is blocked in some other countries as per the reports.

Cirevek67

Reaction score
Easter Egg in Surfshark on Windows

As I can see many of us here use Surfshark I'm pretty sure I've got something you didn't know.

I updated my app today to be able to turn on dark mode (yes, that's also new) and I found an easter egg :s12: Looks like some Star Wars inspired theme.

Just switch on dark mode in the settings > then click on the menu icon next to the 'fastest server' in the blue Connect button and there it is, the Hyperspace option. It's pretty nicely done, has anybody seen this before? I'd add a gif, but have no idea if I can do that on this forum :s13:

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As I can see many of us here use Surfshark I'm pretty sure I've got something you didn't know.

I updated my app today to be able to turn on dark mode (yes, that's also new) and I found an easter egg :s12: Looks like some Star Wars inspired theme.

Just switch on dark mode in the settings > then click on the menu icon next to the 'fastest server' in the blue Connect button and there it is, the Hyperspace option. It's pretty nicely done, has anybody seen this before? I'd add a gif, but have no idea if I can do that on this forum :s13:
https://medium.com/@jahimfernandes/stop-being-so-serious-with-your-design-4075a021fea3

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
Wondering if there's any networking pro who can advise on how to accomplish my dream setup.

Currently, I am able to access US Netflix with ExpressVPN MediaStreamer DNS on my LG TV (thank god the Netflix app in WebOS doesn't have hardcoded DNS). I'm happy with it. Speed is great unlike accessing through VPN which is an absolutely terrible streaming experience (total waste of the 4K subscription plan). The problem lies in going back and forth on changing the DNS whenever I want to check out stuff in the SG library.

Given that I have an Nvidia Shield as well, I figured why not get US Netflix on Nvidia Shield and watch SG Netflix on LG webOS Netflix app. There's just a problem, as you know, Netflix for Android has hardcoded DNS. Googling for solutions seems to indicate that one can bypass the hardcoded DNS through static routes, hence I thought the optimal solution would be the following:

-main router standard settings and LG TV connects to main router to get SG Netflix
-secondary router connected as second network (main router LAN to secondary router WAN) with MediaStreamer DNS configured in secondary router
-secondary router blocks Google DNS and known Netflix DNS through the use of static routes (see https://www.tipsforchina.com/best-vpn-for-netflix.html)
-nvidia shield connects to secondary router to access US Netflix

I've literally spent the whole of yesterday until now attempting to do this. It has been... frustrating. Oddly enough, this works for my Android phone and I am able to access US Netflix, but when I try to access US Netflix on my Shield TV, it loads till 24% and errors out. Has anyone managed to get such a setup going?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.