Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

stiwipl

Reaction score
@kira.yiktah why don't you just set MediaStreamer DNS on Nvidia Shield and leave default DNS settings on LG? This way you would achieve what you want. There is no need to force DNS via router or even use 2 routers... Also if you have Asus router with Merlin firmware in DNSFilter tab you can assign DNS per device. This would allow you to set a local SG DNS global for all devices and the custom MediaStreamer DNS for Nvidia Shield.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Given that I have an Nvidia Shield as well, I figured why not get US Netflix on Nvidia Shield and watch SG Netflix on LG webOS Netflix app. There's just a problem, as you know, Netflix for Android has hardcoded DNS. Googling for solutions seems to indicate that one can bypass the hardcoded DNS through static routes, hence I thought the optimal solution would be the following:

-main router standard settings and LG TV connects to main router to get SG Netflix
-secondary router connected as second network (main router LAN to secondary router WAN) with MediaStreamer DNS configured in secondary router
-secondary router blocks Google DNS and known Netflix DNS through the use of static routes (see https://www.tipsforchina.com/best-vpn-for-netflix.html)
-nvidia shield connects to secondary router to access US Netflix

I do not think you need 2nd router.

Try the following.
1) In your main router set up Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This will not affect your LG TV or other devices.

2) Set up MediaStreamer DNS in Nvidia Shield TV and do not mess with any other DNS settings. Turn off location services. Check if this works for US Netflix.

3) If the above does not work ( I do not use Netflix so I can not test), then try ExpressVPN app on the Nvidia Shield TV to see if you are able to get enough bandwidth to have 4k. You may need to change to different servers to try. The good thing is that you can on/off the VPN to switch between SG/US.

Last edited:

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
Appreciate your replies @stiwipl and @xiaofan, but I think you missed my point regarding the limitations of the Netflix app in Nvidia Shield. The Netflix app for Android TV has a hardcoded DNS. To be clear, I have done what you both suggested which is to set mediastreamer DNS in the networking section of the Nvidia Shield. This does display the US library but the US titles won't actually play and the proxy error message pops out because the Netflix app for Android TV has hardcoded DNS to detect location. Hence the whole roundabout way of blocking Google DNS and other known Netflix DNS.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your replies @stiwipl and @xiaofan, but I think you missed my point regarding the limitations of the Netflix app in Nvidia Shield. The Netflix app for Android TV has a hardcoded DNS. To be clear, I have done what you both suggested which is to set mediastreamer DNS in the networking section of the Nvidia Shield. This does display the US library but the US titles won't actually play and the proxy error message pops out because the Netflix app for Android TV has hardcoded DNS to detect location. Hence the whole roundabout way of blocking Google DNS and other known Netflix DNS.

There are people here who are using Nvidia Shield TV and watch Netflix US. Hopefully they can chime in and answer your question.

The other thing is that you should also contact ExpressVPN for support.

I am using purevpn with much less good name but the customer support is pretty helpful.

bodohboy

Reaction score

Why not just use your LG TV for US content and Nvidia Shield for SG content? Btw what movies/shows does Netflix SG has that Netflix US does not?

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
There are people here who are using Nvidia Shield TV and watch Netflix US. Hopefully they can chime in and answer your question.

The other thing is that you should also contact ExpressVPN for support.

I am using purevpn with much less good name but the customer support is pretty helpful.

They're probably watching through the VPN app and are connected through VPN. The speed takes quite a beating that way and 4K streams are nigh impossible. Heck, sometimes it slows to a 480p or 360p stream. Intolerable.

Anyone using strictly VPN able to get US Netflix at 4K stream with no lag?

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
Why not just use your LG TV for US content and Nvidia Shield for SG content? Btw what movies/shows does Netflix SG has that Netflix US does not?

I know right? That's the most sensible way, I agree. Only 1 problem. If I set it up this way, I lose Hulu on my Nvidia Shield since my Shield wouldn't be set up with the US-spoofing DNS. I have figured out a solution for this but it requires me to get a decent programmable remote / phone with IR blaster: I gotta enter the LG TV service menu and change country code to the US and then download the Hulu app on the LG TV. This way, it's all settled.

bodohboy

Reaction score
They're probably watching through the VPN app and are connected through VPN. The speed takes quite a beating that way and 4K streams are nigh impossible. Heck, sometimes it slows to a 480p or 360p stream. Intolerable.

Anyone using strictly VPN able to get US Netflix at 4K stream with no lag?

I know right? That's the most sensible way, I agree. Only 1 problem. If I set it up this way, I lose Hulu on my Nvidia Shield since my Shield wouldn't be set up with the US-spoofing DNS. I have figured out a solution for this but it requires me to get a decent programmable remote / phone with IR blaster: I gotta enter the LG TV service menu and change country code to the US and then download the Hulu app on the LG TV. This way, it's all settled.

I am able run 4K content on Netflix and other US/Canada Apps on my Apple TV but I am running through ExpressVPN’s OpenVPN client on my Asus Router. Tried using the same server on my Mi Box S while using the Express VPN app and could only sometimes hit 25Mbps with the OpenVPN setup I can hit about 250Mbps. Quite satisfied with this setup.

Your second solution seems more sensible but does the native LG Netflix app have better performance than your Nvidia Sheild? If yes then maybe can just get the remote to download the apps then after that return/exchange the remote.

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
Bro, which server are you connected to? I might just follow suit and configure ExpressVPN OpenVPN client on my second router (DIR 868L flashed to DD WRT). You can hit 4K streams swee swee through this setup? I just tested Washington DC server using the ExpressVPN app on my Nvidia Shield and while Disney+ seems to stream decently, Netflix was blah. I think it was 480p, lol.

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
I am able run 4K content on Netflix and other US/Canada Apps on my Apple TV but I am running through ExpressVPN’s OpenVPN client on my Asus Router. Tried using the same server on my Mi Box S while using the Express VPN app and could only sometimes hit 25Mbps with the OpenVPN setup I can hit about 250Mbps. Quite satisfied with this setup.

Your second solution seems more sensible but does the native LG Netflix app have better performance than your Nvidia Sheild? If yes then maybe can just get the remote to download the apps then after that return/exchange the remote.

Holy moley, I didn't know that Merlin supports AiMesh already. Ok, to the other expert bros out there like charlie_zhan, should I flash my AC5300 and AC68U to Merlin? Currently I'm on stock Asus firmware with AC5300 as router and AC68U as node. I'm guessing bodohboy used Merlin because he can set split tunneling and so only the Nvidia Shield is on the US VPN, correct? Can teach me how to do this setup?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Holy moley, I didn't know that Merlin supports AiMesh already. Ok, to the other expert bros out there like charlie_zhan, should I flash my AC5300 and AC68U to Merlin? Currently I'm on stock Asus firmware with AC5300 as router and AC68U as node. I'm guessing bodohboy used Merlin because he can set split tunneling and so only the Nvidia Shield is on the US VPN, correct? Can teach me how to do this setup?

I was able to use Shield + MediaStreamer DNS to access US Netflix before. If something has changed in their app, I have no idea, as I don't use their DNS solution anymore.

You were probably not being able to reach 4k Netflix because you were using ExpressVPN app on Nvidia Shield and OpenVPN protocol is too heavy for Shield in my experience.

I will give you one advise. Cancel or do not renew this ExpressVPN. Buy Astrill. Flash Merlin on RT-AC68U. Install Astrill applet, use their StealthPro UDP protocol on their router applet, route selected devices for US Netflix via their e.g. New York server.

Thank me later. You won't want any other solution beside that point.

Otherwise flash Merlin, install OpenVPN profile from ExpressVPN and just route the selected devices via OpenVPN. The speed on RT-AC68U will be half of what Astrill protocol could get you but should suffice for 4k Netflix.

In my very broad experience in heavily testing more than 20 VPNs (and living in highly censored country where they do block VPNs like in China), there are only 10% who does go beyond standard solutions. This would be Astrill and 12VPN. The rest is piece of crap not worth being paid even $12 per year.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In my very broad experience in heavily testing more than 20 VPNs (and living in highly censored country where they do block VPNs like in China), there are only 10% who does go beyond standard solutions. This would be Astrill and 12VPN. The rest is piece of crap not worth being paid even $12 per year.

Haha I paid US$11.88 per year for purevpn and I will not recommend it myself based on the experiences over the past two weeks. Anyway the real tests will be next week to see if it can bypass China GFW or not.

My requirements are a bit low as mainly for browsing or 480p/720p/1080p streaming.

Let's see the experiences of those who paid US$9.6 per year or US$19.2 for two years Surfshark. I think at least Surfshark should be better than purevpn.

I do not think Astril/12VPN are that attractive to me though as my main use case is going into China and only need to bypass China GFW for less than 10days every year.

My use cases are probably less common here since I have zero interests in Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or Hulu or things like that.

1) dedicated going into China VPN like SpeedIn or Transocks or SpeedCN, etc. Unfortunately no better solution than these dedicated solutions which you can throw privacy and security out of the window, with probably FlyVPN as an exception.

2) free Windscribe is already good for my Singapore public wifi uses cases. Paid purevpn works even better

3) occasionally I want to try BBC iPlayer and purevpn is good enough.

4) Still I like to try out alternative protocols like SS/V2Ray/Wireguard/Trojan next year, probably on VPS (eg, Aliyun to go into China and Google/etc to bypass GFW), nothing mission critical, just want to play with Linux based stuff.

stiwipl

Reaction score
[...]
4) Still I like to try out alternative protocols like SS/V2Ray/Wireguard/Trojan next year, probably on VPS (eg, Aliyun to go into China and Google/etc to bypass GFW), nothing mission critical, just want to play with Linux based stuff.

This is what 12VPN did recently, they have updated all their SS servers to V2Ray.
They also support native WireGuard, so it is compatible with WireGuard official apps. Astrill implementation of the same is non native, so it is not compatible but it works very good as well (not sure about China).

camile89

Reaction score
Hi to all using surfshark, Which country can I connect to on surfshark to watch US netflix? It seems like netflix has detected quite a number of their servers. :( Cant continue my shows.

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi to all using surfshark, Which country can I connect to on surfshark to watch US netflix? It seems like netflix has detected quite a number of their servers. :( Cant continue my shows.
Detroit

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a limited time you can get a 20 months of Windscribe Pro for $20! After your Pro account subscription ends, you just go back to having your old Big Gig plan!

https://windscribe.com

Alternatively, StackSocial has 3-Year Subscription of Windscribe VPN Pro on sale for $36

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha I paid US$11.88 per year for purevpn and I will not recommend it myself based on the experiences over the past two weeks. Anyway the real tests will be next week to see if it can bypass China GFW or not.

My requirements are a bit low as mainly for browsing or 480p/720p/1080p streaming.

Let's see the experiences of those who paid US$9.6 per year or US$19.2 for two years Surfshark. I think at least Surfshark should be better than purevpn.

I do not think Astril/12VPN are that attractive to me though as my main use case is going into China and only need to bypass China GFW for less than 10days every year.

My use cases are probably less common here since I have zero interests in Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or Hulu or things like that.

1) dedicated going into China VPN like SpeedIn or Transocks or SpeedCN, etc. Unfortunately no better solution than these dedicated solutions which you can throw privacy and security out of the window, with probably FlyVPN as an exception.

2) free Windscribe is already good for my Singapore public wifi uses cases. Paid purevpn works even better

3) occasionally I want to try BBC iPlayer and purevpn is good enough.

u can try 爱加速. its free at the moment. it has plenty of china servers

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a limited time you can get a 20 months of Windscribe Pro for $20! After your Pro account subscription ends, you just go back to having your old Big Gig plan!

https://windscribe.com

Alternatively, StackSocial has 3-Year Subscription of Windscribe VPN Pro on sale for $36

36 for 3 years is definitely a no brainer

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.