Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Today at 8pm to 10pm there’s 90%.
Wondering why the offer so weird, logically, anyone see there's 90% cashback upcoming will wait for it since it's only few days or even hours now.

Will NordVPN chut stunt to increase price when 90% cashback kicks in?

Oh BTW, although it's listed usd 89 for 24+3 months, however, after cart in and check out, it's usd 95 instead.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wondering why the offer so weird, logically, anyone see there's 90% cashback upcoming will wait for it since it's only few days or even hours now.

Oh BTW, although it's listed usd 89 for 24+3 months, however, after cart in and check out, it's usd 95 instead.

That stunt is not from NordVPN, but rather from Shopback.

NordVPN original offer, it does not say when the offer ends though. But is says US$89.
https://nordcheckout.com/?product_group=nordvpn&cart_id=ec64aa7d-ed7d-430b-8512-b4a62bfc1ffc

Last edited:

IndianChief

Banned
Reaction score
Think when sign up for nordvpn, should use Google pay or amazon pay to make payment. Easier to cancel the automatic recurring payment.

If pay direct to nord using CC, read about so many horror stories about how difficult it is to cancel

Last edited:

loackerc

Reaction score
Think when sign up for nordvpn, should use Google pay or amazon pay to make payment. Easier to cancel the automatic recurring payment.

If pay direct to nord using CC, read about so many horror stories about how difficult it is to cancel

Yea I check the website, and automatic recurring payment can only be disable via chat/email, so it’s not something that can be done one-click.

YouTrip works too since there’s an option to deactivate card.

Nonetheless, we still need to disable automatic recurring payment via chat/email if you don’t want to be disabling them at payment end.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the other thread.

When I use a VPN or alternative solutions like Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Trojan, or use custom DNS servers like Pi-hole or Adguard Home, usually I will test using DNS Leak Test and What Is My IP Address.

DNS Leak Test: test DNS leak for IPv4
https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

What Is My IP Address: shows your IPv4/IPv6 address
https://whatismyipaddress.com/

"DNS Leak Test" will reveal your IPv4 address and usually the result is the same as "What Is My IP Address".

More capable website to check IP address.
1) https://tool.chinaz.com/
2) https://www.ipip.net/

Tested another v2ray app hosted on Salesforce Heroku (using Amazon AWS). All the tools detect the same AWS IP and AWS location in the US.

IPv6 test shows no IPv6 address but warns against broken of misconfigures IPv6. This may be an Amazon AWS problem.

However, since Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Trojan are mainly popular in China, so I tested with a few China websites and they are actually able to detect my Singtel IP address and not the Amazon AWS IP.

1) https://tool.chinaz.com/
2) https://www.ipip.net/

But when I use Windscribe VPN HK nodes, then they will detect the Windscribe HK IP. And they correctly detect the location as HK and not Australia. So it seems to me the above two sites are more capable than the other sites.

Lesson learned: for privacy and security, traditional VPN may be better than Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Trojan. Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Trojan are popular in mainland China to bypass GFW because traditiontal VPN are mostly been detected and blocked by GFW. So they are better than traditional for bypassing censorship. And they can be faster as well.

Last edited:

edwinloh

Reaction score

US$95 = ~SG$128
90% cashback by ShopBack = SG$115

Does this means for 2 years subscription we only paying for $13?... sorry for the newbie question..

loackerc

Reaction score
US$95 = ~SG$128
90% cashback by ShopBack = SG$115

Does this means for 2 years subscription we only paying for $13?... sorry for the newbie question..

Yes that’s about it. They advertise hard to gain users and make it real cheap via 3rd party cashback programmes. Make sure you read about this article shared by martintylor, and some other posts I posted above about the data breach - just make sure you’re using different password for nordvpn in case this happens again in the two year period (or for how long you’re subscribing), and avoid using credit card as a precaution to their notorious auto renewal subscription or potential breach.

Last edited:

edwinloh

Reaction score
Yes that’s about it. They advertise hard to gain users and make it real cheap via 3rd party cashback programmes. Make sure you read about this article shared by martintylor, and some other posts I posted above about the data breach - just make sure you’re using different password for nordvpn in case this happens again in the two year period (or for how long you’re subscribing), and avoid using credit card as a precaution to their notorious auto renewal subscription or potential breach.

Okay noted.. I will likely use Apple Pay and use another generic pwd for the nordvpn. Thanks for the advice.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For this nordVPN 90% cashback, can use PC web browser to do the purchase through shopback website or need to use shopback app?

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
4MJDrbZl.jpg

For 2 hrs only!

IndianChief

Banned
Reaction score
chnage to 90% lioa

remember to avoid direct credit card payment is possible as i heard cancelling the recurring payment is a nightmare

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Just sign up with 90% shopback link via desktop and paid with Google Pay @ usd 95.23. Next renewal date 27th Feb 2023.

Let's see whether Shopback really cashback 90% or not.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.