Bookshelf Speakers chat

LiLAsN

Reaction score
More like our local distro jiak too much $$$

Not really. I do keep track of Amazon Singapore's speaker pricing from time to time. These are nothing more than timed deals. After this, it will skyrocket back up to prices matching our local stores. So our stores aren't as bad as you think.

And Alpha Audio is our official distributor for Elac speakers anyway. So support them whenever you can. :s12:

As mentioned, this deal will go away soon. And then it's back to fair game. Local distros = got local warranty as an added bonus.

Amazon Singapore is mostly imported units from US. So you only have those few weeks to months of exchange period with Amazon Singapore before the period ends. But considering that these are passive speakers, the chances that you ever need to exchange if the speakers are damaged are during those exchange period. So it isn't as bad.

And as mentioned, those are 2 different models. 1 is the Slim model. The cheaper one is the original fat model that our local shops are no longer carrying. So fair game.

benedium

Reaction score
I think it's possible Elac doesn't have an official distributor in SG. Another shop told me to check their elac website and see for myself. And I saw no mention of alpha audio.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible Elac doesn't have an official distributor in SG. Another shop told me to check their elac website and see for myself. And I saw no mention of alpha audio.

I search Elac distributor singapore and got

Singapore/Singaput
Alpha Audio Sound & Vision Pte Ltd.
No. 1 Coleman Street #01-16, The Adelphi, Singapore 179803
0065 6337 9010
alpha148@singnet.com.sg

benedium

Reaction score
Oh there u go, I often suck at research. Was it listed on elac website?

benedium

Reaction score
Ah so wwenze is right. Other shops salesmen can be so dishonest. Or maybe just clueless.

Last edited:

benedium

Reaction score
So how? Unifi uf5 (fat version) or dbr62 or dynaudio emit m20? Heheh really scratch head

benedium

Reaction score
The Elac Uni-Fi UF5 accepts 40 to 140W of power from your amplifier and produces a 42 Hz to 25 kHz frequency response. The cabinet is made from MDF.

Take note, Amazon Singapore loves to gives superbly fantastic deals on speakers from time to time.

Here's the price of the Elac Uni-Fi UF5 (Slim version) selling at our normal retail store called Alpha Audio. $1999
https://sg.carousell.com/p/elac-uni-fi-uf5-slim-96436970/

Here's the price of the Elac Uni-Fi UF5 (original version) on Amazon Singapore. S$548.22
Yup. Their tower speakers are going for an even cheaper price than their Bookshelf UB5s currently.
(take note, the prices will change very quickly in the next few days)
https://www.amazon.sg/ELAC-Uni-fi-Floorstanding-Speaker-Single/dp/B01CRYWVLM/

The price of the Elac Debut Reference DBR62 bookshelf speakers are going for around $850 from Alpha Audio as well.

Now taking this into consideration, yes, usually many of the more technical reviews will be using their bookshelf counterparts. So it's hard to find reviews for their Tower equivalents. Notice that the speakers only have the typical 2 terminals at the back. So no bi-amping or bi-wiring options. A good thing is because it doesn't need a lot of power to drive the speakers. Thus why typical 2 banana plug style is enough to drive all of those woofers and tweeters.

Now, it all comes down to do you want the reference series bookshelf speakers that has a really high rating. Or will you go for these UF5 towers that are going for cheap, you could literally have another 2 sides and even 2 rear surround speakers to add as a result. If you are using Audyssey, then the audio will be relatively flat afterwards anyways. It is only if you choose to play these speakers without any sort of EQ or DSP or Room Correction, that I will turn away from any poorly measured speakers.

Here are the Elac Debut Reference series and the Elac Uni-Fi UB5 (bookshelf) review for you to see how flat the measurements are without any Room Correction software so you can decide if Audyssey can easily solve some of its shortcomings if need be.

Elac Debut Reference DBR62 bookshelf speakers
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Elac Uni-Fi UB5 bookshelf speakers
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-bs-u5-slim-3-way-coaxial-speaker-review.13735/

Ultimately, this is your money. So I can only point you to where the good deals are and what their measurements are like. Then you ultimately decide where the money should go to. Be it to having a lesser scoring set of speakers but having more of them for that added immersion or spend on the higher scoring one for that added precision in audio.
And don't forget how a good room EQ can also help fix any peaks and dips if need be. Though dips are definitely harder to EQ since its a flaw with the drivers itself. Something to consider.

Ok I finally understand what u saying liao haha. I really am retarded. Lol.

Ok so based on my blindish faith in ASR, will probably go with dbr62. Thanks so much for your help LiLAsN and wwenze!

Oh and know anyone selling used one pls pm me thanks!

Last edited:

LiLAsN

Reaction score
So how? Unifi uf5 (fat version) or dbr62 or dynaudio emit m20? Heheh really scratch head

You can also have a look at the KEF Q350. Price range is almost there with the Elac Debut Reference series. The score is slightly lower.
But it could be attributed to the lack of bass on the low end due to it only having that 1 concentric driver speaker smack right in the middle of the bookshelf speaker.

So both of these are around the same price range of around $800. Have a look. Remember, the easiest way to read a measurement graph is, the straighter the line is, that means you can easily hear details without any of them being missing due to 1 of the frequencies having a low volume.
Straight line means all details are playing at the same volume. So you can hear from low to high without any loss of details due to a softer volume.

If you have the time and have picked your favourite line-up of speakers, then as recommended, you can head down to the stores to give all those speakers a test. See which one suits your taste in terms of how wide the sound is (though this can easily be adjusted with certain room correction softwares. It is just a matter of matching all the phases (timing) of these speakers in order to have a bigger or smaller sound stage).
If all of them sound the same, then go for your taste. Which bookshelf speaker will look nice in your home setup?

Are your subwoofers able to drive the bass up to more than 100 Hz since those KEF Q350s are lacking them and need a subwoofer to compensate those missing low frequencies.

Again, between the Elacs and the KEF Q350s, The scores are
ELAC DBR62 5.69 (without subs) 7.76 (with subs)
KEF Q350 5.65 (without subs) 7.45 (with subs)

As for the Dynaudio Emit M20, they measure well. Almost on par with the Elac Debut Reference. So it will all come down to price, looks and whether you are putting these speakers up against a wall.
The Dynaudio Emit M20 are going for around $1099.

Here's the measurements from another review site that shows the M20 on and off-axis in comparison with the Elac Debut Reference.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-do-the-dynaudio-emit-m20-speakers-measure.13881/

If you are putting the speakers against a wall, then only the Elacs matter because their ports are at the front.
The KEF Q350 and Dynaudio Emit M20 have ports at the back. So you must leave at least some spacing for it to breathe at the back.

benedium

Reaction score
Oh another question... hope u guys don't mind... if some speakers are designed for slight toe in only and not on-axis use, would ASR measurements and ratings still directly correlate to actual sound performance? Of cos if speaker is designed for on axis use is best cos then I can also use as center speaker.

Last edited:

LiLAsN

Reaction score
Oh another question... hope u guys don't mind... if some speakers are designed for slight toe in only and not on-axis use, would ASR measurements and ratings still directly correlate to actual sound performance?

Yes, they show you a lot of those colour coded measurement lines to tell you how they sound when they are off-axis. Due to my cabinet design, my speakers are being used off-axis too. But Dirac helped increase and decrease the volume of each frequency to help balance out the sound to make it sound as neutrally flat as possible.

Don't forget. Have a listen to all of your top choice of speakers before you make your final purchase. If everything sounds the same, then by all means, you can now decide which speaker you want based on looks, back or front ports and price.

benedium

Reaction score
U right heheh. Yup heard dynaudio m20 and elac dbr62. Thanks again LiLAsN! Any other recommendations that might measure well around this budget?

benedium

Reaction score
Dynaudio sound is super tight with very low extension of treble. Maybe I got abit used to the airy sound of my mission lx2 liao so now just need to add greater dose of bass that also blends wells with subwoofer use.

petetherock

Reaction score
Branched off this to avoid OT over at the other chat.
Cheers :)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm always wary of audition at shop because bass and general sound depends a lot on positioning. Your bass at home may be greater because back wall + table + small room + small distance

benedium

Reaction score
Yah I also learn that shop audition isn't totally reliable. Plus noobs probably remember more outstanding sounding speakers for all the wrong reasons which may not translate into benefits for long term use at home. Thats why the measurements are really more convincing even to noobs.

-Sora-

Reaction score
U right heheh. Yup heard dynaudio m20 and elac dbr62. Thanks again LiLAsN! Any other recommendations that might measure well around this budget?
Close to that price I would recommend giving Monitor Audio Silver 50 or 100 and the cheaper Triangle BR03 a try.

Never tried dynaudio or dbr62 but I own a BR02 and Monitor Audio Silver 2, I think in general music listening they are both much more superior to my Debut B6.2, I like having very forward and focused vocals.

I'm always wary of audition at shop because bass and general sound depends a lot on positioning. Your bass at home may be greater because back wall + table + small room + small distance
Agree with this completely, went to alpha audio to audition triangles and it sounded ok, they use quite expensive cambridge audio amp and player, but the layout and room really not ideal.
Speakers quite far from wall i think? But they stack like a dozen pairs of speakers together which probably killed a lot of bass.

Triangles sounded too sharp and bright there, maybe its cuz of the glass entrance. Put at home much much better.

benedium

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for sharing guys. Very useful for me cos I am super confused even after hearing so many speakers.

For people like me who are seriously unsure of their own judgement or just plain lazy, authoritative sources with science backing really helps in decision making and provides great after purchase 'peace of mind' heheh.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Speaker review/audition should be a comparison - You know how one speaker sounds and you want to change it, so you want to know how speaker B compares to speaker A.

And subjective listening is bad at this. Measurements are consistent.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.