Bookshelf Speakers chat

Clearnfc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kind of worried the Neumann will sound small compared to the dbr62 heheh.

I agreed since the neumann is 4 inch woofer cone. For sound, although i have never heard both, i am inclined to go for the elac.

1. You avr is pretty good one and i dont see why it cannot drive the elac.

2. What you pay is what you get. In order for the nuemann to be at same price as elac, corners have to but. The speaker has both integrated amp + speaker. So alot of that money goes into the amp.

3. Plastic housing.... Forget it. Polycarbonate composite vs mdf... No way i will get plastic box.

4. No upgrade path for the neumann. Speakers can last 20yrs or more....

So i would get a good speaker instead.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
i've bought several cables from infinite cables, they are pretty good quality. though i don't have any measurements to share.

i quite like their in house RCA, speaker and power cables. quite good value. think about $100 for a pair of rca about 1m.

benedium

Reaction score
I agreed since the neumann is 4 inch woofer cone. For sound, although i have never heard both, i am inclined to go for the elac.

1. You avr is pretty good one and i dont see why it cannot drive the elac.

2. What you pay is what you get. In order for the nuemann to be at same price as elac, corners have to but. The speaker has both integrated amp + speaker. So alot of that money goes into the amp.

3. Plastic housing.... Forget it. Polycarbonate composite vs mdf... No way i will get plastic box.

4. No upgrade path for the neumann. Speakers can last 20yrs or more....

So i would get a good speaker instead.

Thanks so much for your thoughts Clearnfc.

benedium

Reaction score
Eh Clearnfc. Maybe u should also go listen to studio monitor see how they differentiate in sound from passive speakers. Senheisser said Luthermusic carries the neumann. So I'll probably go there for a listen.

I guess I have been so doubtful of passive speakers cos I have been using the $300/pair cheap stuff which I might have grown out of.

Clearnfc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh Clearnfc. Maybe u should also go listen to studio monitor see how they differentiate in sound from passive speakers. Senheisser said Luthermusic carries the neumann. So I'll probably go there for a listen.

I guess I have been so doubtful of passive speakers cos I have been using the $300/pair cheap stuff which I might have grown out of.

Hmm. Good idea. Perhaps it will change my perception of it.

benedium

Reaction score
Ok I went to listen liao. All small ones still CMI. Need 6inch onwards which will cost a bomb. Genelec sounds most pleasant with just nice warmth to my noob ears. Going back to passive options liao haha.

Clearnfc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I went to listen liao. All small ones still CMI. Need 6inch onwards which will cost a bomb. Genelec sounds most pleasant with just nice warmth to my noob ears. Going back to passive options liao haha.

Cool!! Thanks for taking the time to audition the speakers.

benedium

Reaction score
We discussed this liao...
My half opinion and half guessing...

For table/console top use, isoacoustics is maybe best but costs more. Good match for expensive speakers. Difference between other stands and isoacoustics is all the rubber/silicon surfaces/joints they use I think.

I tried wooden hivi/clone table top speaker stands and could feel the speaker vibrations all the way from stands to table. So I think worst of all. Not recommended.

As for spikes, best for use on solid surface like floor or super heavy furniture.

Foam is cheapest at around $10-$15/pair so worth trying and also with option to tilt speaker up.

Last edited:

benedium

Reaction score
If u talking about feet to put between bookshelf speakers and stands then I recommend simple rubber feet. Small and flat surface better than round semi circle ones. Small is to have minimum contact to speaker and stand. Flat surface is to provide more resistance to micro lateral movement caused speaker drivers. May help speakers sound more precise and textured. Maybe that's why if u buy speaker stands they usually come with rubber feet to put on the stand top plate.

From daiso... The earthquake gel I feel is no good. Seems to mess up timing of sounds. I tried cork before also so so only. After many months of trying I decided small rubber feet is best and cheap and easy to use. Spike should be good although more expensive but I dont wanna have glue on speaker bottom.

Last edited:

hmsweethm

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u talking about feet to put between bookshelf speakers and stands then I recommend simple rubber feet. Small and flat surface better than round semi circle ones. Small is to have minimum contact to speaker and stand. Flat surface is to provide more resistance to micro lateral movement caused speaker drivers. May help speakers sound more precise and textured. Maybe that's why if u buy speaker stands they usually come with rubber feet to put on the stand top plate.

From daiso... The earthquake gel I feel is no good. Seems to mess up timing of sounds. I tried cork before also so so only. After many months of trying I decided small rubber feet is best and cheap and easy to use. Spike should be good although more expensive but I dont wanna have glue on speaker bottom.

Okie. Thanks.

Am at Sim Lim tower, looking for these spikes.
Saw a shop selling palic spike $16 per pic. And their palic y spade $10.80.

Popped into a cable shop and owner recommend to me use coaxial cable for speaker. So any diff between coaxial and regular copper cable?
I see the coaxial core is so thin.
Quite stun cos all along I thought speaker use those copper cable.

Last edited:

benedium

Reaction score
Dont think so bah. Think coaxial is for signal only and have shielding to prevent noise or interference. Not for passive speakers lah. I pm u pls chk

SMLeir

Reaction score
Hello all, looking for a little advice from you guys again. Are there any differences in audio quality between using the 3.5mm jack vs USB A for active speakers when connected to let's say a desktop/ laptop setup?

My understanding is that I'm utilizing the inbuilt DAC of my computer system when connected using the 3.5mm jack, and if connected via USB it will be pure digital signal that goes through the active speaker's amp? If my line of thought is accurate, I should be use the USB connection to fully utilize the active speakers I purchased? Many thanks for your guidance.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are there any differences in audio quality between using the 3.5mm jack vs USB A for active speakers

Measurable, audible, or magical?

Depends on what speaker.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is coaxial cable better than copper cable for spks?

Copper is material
Coaxial is construction type / form factor
Coaxial are usually made of a copper center conductor like most wires. Shield can be made of whatever
Going one step deeper, there are also cable standards, like RG6 for example is a coaxial with 75 ohm characteristic impedance. (Worth noting is that cheaper RG6 use copper-clad steel for the center conductor)

Or in other words, question is invalid :D

Coaxial is more expensive than just 2 bare wires and there is no advantage using it for speakers. Doesn't mean you can't, tho. As long as DCR is low enough, and RG6 has pretty decent DCR. Proper cable manufacturers like Belden and Canare have datasheet available.
https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/1694A_techdata.pdf

SMLeir

Reaction score
Measurable, audible, or magical?

Depends on what speaker.

Hahaha I've read about the cable saga and have no wish to recreate another scene like that.

I'm more inclined towards dealing with factual statistics that can actually be seen. The speakers in question are the Edifier S3000 Pros, for which I really appreciate your review of it (probably should have gotten the s2000 pros for my desk, but they were out of stock and the 3000s were on sale for a price that would hit your 4.5 score requirement).

Can't resist the opportunity to ask another question: As I recall, you also posted a tip about placing a piece of paper between the $2 daiso earthquake gel and the speaker in another thread. Is it just for aesthetics (to avoid the speaker base discolouration after removing the gel in the future) or are there other considerations too?

Keen to hear about what you have to say about the 3.5mm jack vs USB topic, and any additional thoughts about the Edifiers are welcome too!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.