Broadband Recommendations

Zoinks

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking to recontract my singtel broadband and have been reading on the modems, not too sure which company I should recontract with, was hoping to get some insights.

Im looking to get broadband with mesh, almost considered a 2gbps but I don't think that it is necessary as it's just being used for normal surfing and streaming across around 8 devices at one go. Im really lost now whether I should sign up for the broadband with wifi6 or just a normal router. Also which router and mesh would be the best as the contract will be for 24 months. Any help will be appreciated!

bert64

Reaction score
Don't choose an ISP based on the router they bundle... You'll be much better off buying a router commercially and using it with any provider you choose. Once you have a decent setup, you also get to keep it if you switch providers. Especially important if you have a larger property where you need multiple access points to cover the area, ripping everything out and replacing it just because you switched providers is an unnecessary hassle and the replacement may perform worse in some cases.

ISP supplied routers tend to be lowend, you have limited choice, and in some cases the routers are locked to their service so become unnecessary e-waste if you cancel the service etc. These forums are full of complaints about ISP-supplied routers.

In terms of choosing an ISP:

Avoid any using CGNAT if you can.
Avoid any that don't provide IPv6.

All the ISPs will provide good speeds to the common big name sites, but if you have specific use cases or latency sensitive operations like gaming that are important you should check, as some providers have better routes to specific destinations than others.

irbadboyz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking to recontract my singtel broadband and have been reading on the modems, not too sure which company I should recontract with, was hoping to get some insights.

Im looking to get broadband with mesh, almost considered a 2gbps but I don't think that it is necessary as it's just being used for normal surfing and streaming across around 8 devices at one go. Im really lost now whether I should sign up for the broadband with wifi6 or just a normal router. Also which router and mesh would be the best as the contract will be for 24 months. Any help will be appreciated!

If you are looking for cheap and good, M1. Yeah they have not been performing well this year, but it seems all the ISPs are not performing well with outages across. M1 does have some nice mesh router bundles too. Monthly plan, I think.

My Republic is I think the more expensive one, has connection to game servers. So they are probably better for you if you are gaming a lot. For streaming, maybe you are paying a lot, but they have always been known as reliable.

Singtel and Starhub is next.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually if just for Internet then can go for any major ISP. If for TV and Internet then only Singtel or Starhub. Whether Singtel or Starhub will depend on the channels that you are watching.

tuntun

Reaction score
singtel is locking their router with ONR. Need to talk a lot to get bridge mode. Speedwise so so...latency is hugh for gaming. Stability is a bit better than others due to big ISP and coverage of all area......

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

If you use SingTel ONT with the 1Gbps plan and you do not have major issues with SingTel, just recontact with SingTel.

As a long term Singtel Fibre internet user since Feb 2012, I will say SingTel is pretty stable for me. With ONT, you can choose your router freely as long as it supports SingTel VLAN. All the major brand routers support SingTel VLAN with exception of Google (do not buy Google anyway as its price performance is pretty low) and Linksys Velop compatible lines (E series is okay).

As for the router, Asus RT-AX86U is exclusive to SingTel and it is one of the best router in the market. You can also get AImesh compatible routers to complement RT-AX86U if single router is not good enough.

But if you are facing issues with SingTel like higher latency for gaming, then jump ship to M1 or maybe MyRepublic (but pay for Static IP).

If you are using SingTel ONR, then it will depend on your usage pattern.

I would not recommend new users to sign up for SingTel because of ONR, but for existing SingTel ONT users I will recommend to stick to SingTel unless you are into gaming.

TheCoolDude89

Reaction score
Out of the 3 major ISP, which one would you recommend for general use like netflix streaming and mobile gaming?

tuntun

Reaction score
Can I checkfor DNS settings in router. Is it possible to set as 208.67.222.222 and 1.1.1.1 as pri/sec instead of using default singtel DNS?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I checkfor DNS settings in router. Is it possible to set as 208.67.222.222 and 1.1.1.1 as pri/sec instead of using default singtel DNS?

Whatever DNS you like, you do not need to even keep SingTel DNS. For example I use my Pi-hole DNS with 1.1.1.3 as the backup.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.