Buying electronic from yodobashi online store

vincent007

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried buying electronic items, a camera in particular from yodobashi.con and got it sent to hotel? Seems that the price there is a lot cheaper. Also if buying online, can we get tax refund?

lapucelle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually the yodobashi card has 10% rebates, so you might wanna consider asking someone with the card to help you get more discount. I've bought items and got them sent to my house (in tokyo) before, but not to a hotel. However, the items (appliances) did take some time to come (2 weeks). Not sure about small items though.

buzzmario

Reaction score
Actually the yodobashi card has 10% rebates, so you might wanna consider asking someone with the card to help you get more discount. I've bought items and got them sent to my house (in tokyo) before, but not to a hotel. However, the items (appliances) did take some time to come (2 weeks). Not sure about small items though.

YOU will be at tokyo? if so make a trip to shinjuku, there is map camera, near to yodabashi shinjuku. it is much cheaper than yodabashi and there is visitor tax rebate.

https://www.mapcamera.com/

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol yodabashi is not cheap at least not for e camera i was looking to get. Try kakaku.com it will show u the prices of different places and mostly are alot cheaper than yodabashi

lapucelle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing about yodobashi is the rebates they give out for big purchases. Recently bought a washing machine for Y50,000 and got back Y15,000 of rebates. Y10,000 in cash and Y5,000 in vouchers. And then got a further Y10,000 rebate off my internet plan (some tieup with the ISP). Essentially free!

Small items probably not as worthwhile unless the usual 10% rebate with the yodobashi card covers the difference in price diff from other shops. We usually go to the yodobashi in Akiba cos can buy everything from furniture to appliances to kids toys to IT stuff at one go and deliver all.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I share the same consensus as angcsbenny, I have personally shopped online for camera lenses regularly myself in the past, and can confidently share that Yodobashi.com's prices are not exactly the most attractive in terms of lowest retail prices. From a tourist visitor stand POV, point rebates/cash rebates value does not really apply to us since we do not have a physical living residence add and those are also usually only for use right after your initial purhase.

Unless you are determined to buy typical big ticket items from the exact same store and are absolutely sure you are getting the best value for each electronic item you will be purchasing, I wouldn't exactly place my bet on getting frm Yodobashi.

For camera-related stores that offers the tourist visitor tax rebates, other than places such as Yodobashi/BicCamera big-name stores, do check out Fujiya Camera located in Nakano, or MapCamera as someone have mentioned located in Shinjuku. I have personally used them over the years as I have a friend living there so I request him to purchase lenses for me, their prices are generally very competitive and their stock availability status for most camera items are usually also better/shorter compared to Yodobashi or BicCamera. (of course for natives living there or pple on long-term residence there on alien registration, point rebates/cashback is of course an attractive option as well from Yodobashi, but only if the camera lense or body is in-stock)

Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐ ƒtƒWƒ„ƒJƒ*ƒ‰“X - ƒJƒ*ƒ‰*EƒŒƒ“ƒY*EŽO‹r‚̔̔„‚Æ”ƒŽæ‚è‚Ì*ê–å“X 1938”N*Ý—§ - (New item listings are listed here, they have used section separately as well)
https://www.mapcamera.com/html/worldguide/english_page.html

To quote an example, I recently purchased the Zeiss Sony SEL1670Z for my Sony E-mount, this model has been OOS at Yodobashi.com for a quite long time, I have been tracking this lense online since early April and as listed on the right hand side, their 在庫のある店舗 listed as 0 outlets have the item in-stock atm. OTOH, Fujiya Camera has the lens avail in-stock, and also retails for a much lower pricing at 72,800 yen. (compared to 84,420yen on Yodobashi, that's more than 11k yen worth of savings)

There are quite afew foreigner tourist/shoppers found on Japan-Guide discussion who shares the same sentiments as me. So I would prolly suggest to you to search up Fujiya Camera/MapCamera first to search for the camera product you want, and probably use Yodobashi/BicCamera as your last resort.

You may also wish to keep in mind that BicCamera currently have a 10% tax rebate vouchers campaign for tourist visitors, as long as you print out the coupon listed on their Chinese website. (just kindly remember BicCamera may not have the lowest prices for most electronics/camera-related product you are intending to get)
:)

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing about yodobashi is the rebates they give out for big purchases. Recently bought a washing machine for Y50,000 and got back Y15,000 of rebates. Y10,000 in cash and Y5,000 in vouchers. And then got a further Y10,000 rebate off my internet plan (some tieup with the ISP). Essentially free!

Small items probably not as worthwhile unless the usual 10% rebate with the yodobashi card covers the difference in price diff from other shops. We usually go to the yodobashi in Akiba cos can buy everything from furniture to appliances to kids toys to IT stuff at one go and deliver all.

From my personal experience and what my japanese friend told me, Yodobashi.com usually has this policy in place, if the tourist visitor is already using the visitor tax rebate of 8%, they will not offer any form of points rebate/cashback rebate back to the buyer, because this form of promotion campaign is only valid for those who are currently japanese citizens living in JP, or people who are on long-term visa like for your case. They usually will request the purchasers for actual living residence upfront and if you write that you are living in a hotel temporarily, the application form will usually be rejected by the staff members. I'm not exactly sure about BicCamera's situation but at least for Yodobashi, this is the case for me when I was there the previous time.

But then again, it's actually been awhile since I have been back in Japan, perhaps it may have been an isolated case of the gaijin racism at work here. :s22::s22: I will try and monitor the situation again when I'm back there this June, but I honestly think I don't have anything to get from there since Yodobashi.com's prices are not exactly the most attractive to me. (merchants such as Sofmap, Joshin Web and Amazon Japan usually have much better prices for the electronic items I'm usually interested in)
:o

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried buying electronic items, a camera in particular from yodobashi.con and got it sent to hotel? Seems that the price there is a lot cheaper. Also if buying online, can we get tax refund?
what item u wanna buy? i check the price for u. =)

Albedo

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also keen to get a Sony alpha camera when i go Tokyo later this year.

Will the menu be able to change to english?

And if i know very little japanese, is it difficult to converse with the shopkeeper there?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

And if i know very little japanese, is it difficult to converse with the shopkeeper there?
Some will have, most will not have...
You will pay more. Haonan is an expert on this.

Albedo

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some will have, most will not have...
You will pay more. Haonan is an expert on this.

Thanks. No english menu will be a problem haha...

I will pay more because I don't know japanese? but no more than the listed price right?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the RRP is e.g 35000 yen, u might end up paying 40000-45000 yen.
Can ask Haonan-san as i am not really into camera...

But can share with u, my new NEX, SG selling $1100~, i bought in JP for about $750 (zoom lens + normal 15-50~ mm lens). Cannot compare la.. apple vs orange..

Last edited:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sony Mirrorless ILCs (older NEX systems or the latest ILCE-5000/6000 or A7/A7r series) as well as their current Alpha dSLR line-ups all along have no built-in bilingual menu system, it's all only in Japanese menu. Sony Japan however does offer overseas models with overseas warranty for sale under their own domestic market, catered for foreigners like you and me but you can only get these models from their Ginza HQ flagship store, or Nagoya flagship store/Osaka flagship store if you happen to be staying in other regions apart from Kanto Tokyo.

The exact addresses for all 3 flagship stores in japanese can be found on this website, and there are also some english guide directions to their Ginza, Tokyo HQ store building via this website. Please take note the overseas models found in their Ginza HQ store building or in the 2 other regional flagships stores are more expensive than their domestic models you will find sold in the non-tax free sections, or the ones found in Yodobashi/BicCamera store outlets.

Regarding the language barrier, Sony's very own flagship stores in all 3 respective prefectures all have English/Chinese speaking working staffs, so rest at ease. As for other places to my knowledge Yodobashi do have some Chinese speaking staffs as well who may be also able to speak passable English, but they may not be available at every Yodobashi outlet so it's best that you try the Downtown Tokyo areas like those found in Shinjuku/Akihabara wards, you would have a better chance meeting a salesperson who is able to assist you in Chinese or English.

MapCamera does have English-speaking japanese staff the last time I was there. But if you have met before japanese natives who lives in Singapore and works for a living here, you would probably have a rough understanding abt their accent and their way of English conversing so I hope you can brace yrself to pick up their conversations w/o any hiccups. Nah actually I'm just joking, just be patient and go slow and I'm sure you will do fine talking with them.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More info about the Overseas models sold in their 3 respective flagship stores, can be found here.

Albedo

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Haonan-san, thanks a lot for the info.

I checked the link you provided, the prices do seem to be listed. If the overseas models are more expensive, then it may not be that worthwhile for me to get in Japan already. :(

Would have been nice if I had buck up on my Japanese back then, won't have to worry about menu in japanese...:s8:

Nevertheless, many thanks for the help and advice!

vincent007

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies! Mapcamera.com is indeed cheaper than Yodobashi. I might have passed by this store when I stayed in Shinjuku area last March. Didn't know that camera is cheaper in Japan :(

Still thinking what to get between Fujifilm x series or Canon SLR. But the saving for Canon is not as much as compared to the Fujifilm one.

My friends are going to Hokkaido, so thinking to ask them to buy for me. But I think Mapcamera is not there in Hokkaido.

what item u wanna buy? i check the price for u. =)

Bro dimitri can help me buy? With fee of course :D

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u see what u want, let me know. i check price for u... then u go buy while u in japan. :p

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Albedo and @vincent007, no worries gentlemen glad to be of some help. Feel free to PM me again if you guys have any other questions, I typically purchase electronic items from Japan quite regularly myself so if you have any other electronic-related inquires I will try my best to answer any of your personal doubts if I can.
:)

Albedo, you can still buy yr Sony ILCE-5000 locally here, and go over there hoot the E-mount lenses when you go there for yr holiday trip during Oct/Nov period as you have told me under yr PM msg. Sony E-mount lenses are def much cheaper in JP, and I have been using the Sony's E-mount since late-2010 period, nv had any problems with any of the Sony native lenses I had procured frm JP. If you have followed Clubsnap or DPreview communities before, you would prob know that Kyocera's own Contax G Zeiss lenses or Leica M-mount Voigtlander lenses are generally quite popular with people who own Sony bodies due to the lens IQ/colors. I own a vintage Contax G Zeiss Planar 35mm myself, can tell you Japan is truly a heaven for searching for good quality, vintage lenses so don't give up shopping there.

buzzmario

Reaction score
hi, any idea the price for Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, Olympus 25mm f1.8 and Olympus FL-600R ? thks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.