Can car rental companies forfeit deposit because of speeding (based on in car tracker?)

natas

Reaction score
post on EDMW thread. sure alot of attention. but please share the company name.

no one drives at 50 or 60kmh on our small roads.

this sounds like a scam. check your rental contract , what does it say about the deposit portion?

I am the odd driver... I drive slow whenever near school.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
post on EDMW thread. sure alot of attention. but please share the company name.

this sounds like a scam. check your rental contract , what does it say about the deposit portion?
Most of the ppl who rents/ buy new rides, just signed on the papers, take ride and flew off. Only when there is disagreements/ accidents, then come in write online cry father cry mother. lolz

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This comment is scary... now I understand why got so many drivers overtake me in on small roads to test their brakes at the junctions. I always thought those 25/40 signage is the max speed limit but sounds like most drivers treat them as the minimum speed :crazy:

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This comment is scary... now I understand why got so many drivers overtake me in on small roads to test their brakes at the junctions. I always thought those 25/40 signage is the max speed limit but sounds like most drivers treat them as the minimum speed :crazy:
Yes, agreed. Guys like that are the reason why we get SGRV/BCL/Roads.sg FB posts every single damned day.

aspenco

Banned
Reaction score
This is madness. Totally ludicrous. Op, please share which firm is this, I would avoid renting or doing anything with them.

uniquely_ad

Reaction score
Lol that’s an extortion. If I am you I’ll make this BIG BIG. Seriously so many people drive way above that speed even on a normal road

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol that’s an extortion. If I am you I’ll make this BIG BIG. Seriously so many people drive way above that speed even on a normal road

Just because so many break the law doesn't mean it is legal to do so. While personally I find it disagreeable and some leeway should be allowed, I believe the rental company is within their rights to monitor for "illegal" activities performed with their property. Pretty sure there must be some fine print on this, if not, then TS might be able to contest it.

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just because so many break the law doesn't mean it is legal to do so. While personally I find it disagreeable and some leeway should be allowed, I believe the rental company is within their rights to monitor for "illegal" activities performed with their property. Pretty sure there must be some fine print on this, if not, then TS might be able to contest it.
sure they can monitor. But they cannot enforce anything. Can anyone just arrest u when u do some thing wrong? Similarly all the rental coy can do is report the “offence” to LTA and let them issue the fine. What if LTA just issue warning letter? And GPS is not absolute, when it lose signal it might bounce location indicating a very fast speed.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Tracker is nothing new~ my fren rented a car at Msia and was asked to pay a fine for smoking in the car~ the rental co email him the chart on the time and smoke concentration~ he was surprised there's such smoke tracker~ anyway, he gave lame reason and was waive off under exception case~

The rental co has long lists of T&C which most renters weren't awared~ perhaps TS wanna read thru clauses again~

Ec7171

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rented a car yesterday. Today when I returned the car, company said I exceeded speed limit (50km/hr on normal roads). Turns out they were tracking my speed with a tracker and this was not made known to me.

So question - is it even legal for companies to track speed without informing customers? And can they report this to TP? (the company is offering me a bargain for not reporting. But doesn't it violate the PDPA?)

Nothing to do with PDPA.
The speed tracker does not identify who are you.

I suppose the company has right to put any tracker on the car.

But im not sure whether the police will accept the speed tracker as an evidence to charge you for speeding.

I do agree with many here. Take back deposit and deal with the speeding separately.

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sure they can monitor. But they cannot enforce anything. Can anyone just arrest u when u do some thing wrong? Similarly all the rental coy can do is report the “offence” to LTA and let them issue the fine. What if LTA just issue warning letter? And GPS is not absolute, when it lose signal it might bounce location indicating a very fast speed.

They can enforce their own T&C, e.g. if their T&C says that they reserve the right to forfeit the deposit if the renter is found to be in violation of any clause, and there is a clause against speeding or illegal activities, the rental company is within their right to forfeit the deposit. Whether they report the illegal act and whether TP does anything about it, is a completely different story.

I agree GPS can be inaccurate at times, so it depends on the location as well. One possible reason they brought up not reporting him to TP is likely trying to psycho TS into not kicking up a fuss or contesting it further.

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with PDPA.
The speed tracker does not identify who are you.

I suppose the company has right to put any tracker on the car.

But im not sure whether the police will accept the speed tracker as an evidence to charge you for speeding.

I do agree with many here. Take back deposit and deal with the speeding separately.

next issue will be not refunding deposit even if tell them to report the speeding issue.

it's already a scam to makan deposit liao. it's a form of blackmailing tbh.

Ec7171

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
next issue will be not refunding deposit even if tell them to report the speeding issue.

Sad to hear.

I am not sure what is your options going forward. You should consult a friend who know law. I guess thats the only way.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It’s not really a scam if it’s written in the black and white.

so the qns is, is it?

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eh makan deposit is normal standard practice across all industries if violate T&C or trigger some conditions.

funky05

Reaction score
Hi TS, if u really wanna go all out then pls post on FB, IG , Stomp, mothership. It'll force the rental company to speak up on their part.

Either u win or u lose. But most importantly, you tried.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sometimes take it as a cheap lesson, no need to 'win' everytime.

Lessons learned are important. Don't fret the small thing in life.

At least you got away 'cheaply'.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Hi TS, if u really wanna go all out then pls post on FB, IG , Stomp, mothership. It'll force the rental company to speak up on their part.

Either u win or u lose. But most importantly, you tried.

sure back fire~ its telling the world you were speeding and claim you hv been scammed cos you wasn't told there was speed tracker installed in the car~

i would rather negotiate with the rental co. to waive off or reduce the amount~

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.