Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

rubyrain90

Reaction score
Hi, my 2 friends and I (all girls) are planning to hunt for auroras in Iceland around 20-30 Nov (yes, next month!). Looking for khakis to join us in our travels, preferably someone who can (and dare to) drive as we are intending to rent a car.
Please drop me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks!

laksanice

Reaction score
I was there last year in nov and did the ring road. If you need any help, feel free to post here

prada young

Reaction score
Iceland aurora tour

I went there couple of times. We rented a car to drive downwards to the south of Iceland. As for the aurora, it's advised that you join the bus tour because we are not familiar with the area, at night it's total darkness and you may get stuck in a heavy snow condition. In addition,the tour agency will advise us on the weather condition whether they are going to depart for the search of the northern's light.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went on overnight tours when in iceland. We had luck when stopping at Hekla near River ranga. NL just outside the restaurant. So can try that side if you are in Southern Coast. Another night we were coming back from Snaefellsness and stop at 'whale fjord' near Reykjavik next to a small waterfall. Not bad as well.
We also went on those hunting tours but I notice they like to go near Thingvelir and golden circle. One good place will be near Geysir where the air would be warmer.

mrtan10

Suspended
Reaction score
I was there few years ago.. but sad.. can't see the aurora as the sky abit too cloudy...

hope to go back there and see again..

when the best time to go and see aurora?

pepper goh

Reaction score
I saw the Aurora at 3 separate places in Europe. Iceland, Norway and Sweden. The first time in Iceland was during December when there were early winter, very challenging as it snowed heavily everyday. Managed to get a glimpse of it. Returned to Iceland 2 years later in late January,this time round it's like tio TOTO, Angels dancing in the sky full bloom.
As for Norway and Sweden, it was about end Jan and early February, good aurora activity and cleared sky, therefore managed to get some good pictures in the frozen cold deep winter.

alpc

Reaction score
I saw the Aurora at 3 separate places in Europe. Iceland, Norway and Sweden. The first time in Iceland was during December when there were early winter, very challenging as it snowed heavily everyday. Managed to get a glimpse of it. Returned to Iceland 2 years later in late January,this time round it's like tio TOTO, Angels dancing in the sky full bloom.
As for Norway and Sweden, it was about end Jan and early February, good aurora activity and cleared sky, therefore managed to get some good pictures in the frozen cold deep winter.

Being able to see aurora from Iceland is like tio TOTO as they would have the most challenging cloud conditions compared to the other areas - i think the least number of times aurora being seen in the area is Iceland, and it's mainly due to the cloud covers.

I have seen it in Finland, and also Norway. Yet to head to Sweden and Iceland for it. Although I think I would only be heading to Iceland around Aug period which will not be good for Aurora.

Ice.Ice

Reaction score
I'm planning to go there too end of this year too. We've been waiting for a long time so I really hope that the weather don't fail us. When will you guys be going?

Ekspakk

Reaction score
We'll be going Feb next year, any recommendation how long we should stay since it's winter?

minimice

Reaction score
If you're chasing the northern lights I recommend staying at least a week. It has to be very cold i.e. no clouds, very clear skies for the lights to be seen. So it's all dependent on the weather. Some people have stayed for a week and did not manage to get to see the lights. To get to see the lights you have to go up as north as possible, that is why Tromso in Norway is one of the best places to see them as you're in the arctic circle.

Ice.Ice

Reaction score
If you're chasing the northern lights I recommend staying at least a week. It has to be very cold i.e. no clouds, very clear skies for the lights to be seen. So it's all dependent on the weather. Some people have stayed for a week and did not manage to get to see the lights. To get to see the lights you have to go up as north as possible, that is why Tromso in Norway is one of the best places to see them as you're in the arctic circle.

thanks for the info! shall make adjustments to my trip.

minimice

Reaction score
thanks for the info! shall make adjustments to my trip.

No worries. If you catch one of the many northern lights seeking buses (in Tromso) there, they'll try their best to find the lights for you, even if it means taking you to the Finnish border. It'll cost about 1000 Norwegian crowns or 164 SGD per person, so if you're taking that route then budget that in.

Ice.Ice

Reaction score
No worries. If you catch one of the many northern lights seeking buses (in Tromso) there, they'll try their best to find the lights for you, even if it means taking you to the Finnish border. It'll cost about 1000 Norwegian crowns or 164 SGD per person, so if you're taking that route then budget that in.

okkays! will take that into consideration. thanks once again! look forward to that trip. excited much! hahah

Ekspakk

Reaction score
I'm checking the prices of multi-day tour and they are damn expensive, I will be poor after this trip...

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm checking the prices of multi-day tour and they are damn expensive, I will be poor after this trip...

I actually booked two one night tours, one golden circle and one superjeep NL tour for a total of SGD1200 per pax. I managed to get the tour company to throw in free airport transfers. So, if you are planning to book many tours, may be a good idea to contact those Icelandic travel agents and get a good price. I used Extreme Iceland.

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
would it be advisable to do a F&E trip and rely on solely local tours?

Ekspakk

Reaction score
I actually booked two one night tours, one golden circle and one superjeep NL tour for a total of SGD1200 per pax. I managed to get the tour company to throw in free airport transfers. So, if you are planning to book many tours, may be a good idea to contact those Icelandic travel agents and get a good price. I used Extreme Iceland.
Yeah... I'm also looking this travel agency, prices are not that cheap but it looks good. I'll try to email them if they have any suggestions.

vincearteta

Reaction score
Yeah... I'm also looking this travel agency, prices are not that cheap but it looks good. I'll try to email them if they have any suggestions.

If you are not going in deep winter, I recommend driving for the freedom !

Ekspakk

Reaction score
BTW... any feedback regarding Extreme Iceland? Initially I thought their tours are expensive, but after checking other tour agency, their price are actually not that bad.

If you are not going in deep winter, I recommend driving for the freedom !
We are going on 2nd week of Feb, so no choice but to join tours since no one in my group has any snow driving experience.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.