China Tablets to recommend

caterham7

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, what's the difference between Global ROM and China ROM?
global rom usually means it comes with google play and the usual google services; this also means higher chance of widevine l1, which means u can watch netflix in hd
china rom usually installed on china-only models, as china doesn't allow google services; u have to find a workaround to install google services. sometimes there are also issues with notification lag. also, usually china rom models only widevine l3, which means netflix in 480p only

caterham7

Reaction score
one "sideways" option besides android, can consider chrome os tablets, if the features suit your usage requirements

using a acer chromebook tablet, find it to be a good fit with android and ios device, fills in the gaps

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, what's the difference between Global ROM and China ROM?

A bit worn out from answering similar questions like this over and over.

Please refer to the post below.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
global rom usually means it comes with google play and the usual google services; this also means higher chance of widevine l1, which means u can watch netflix in hd
china rom usually installed on china-only models, as china doesn't allow google services; u have to find a workaround to install google services. sometimes there are also issues with notification lag. also, usually china rom models only widevine l3, which means netflix in 480p only

Wrong.. again I had answered this before.

Widevine and Netflix (SD/hd) had nothing to do with the rom. It depends on
1) whether the manufacturer had registered the device for drm and with Netflix for hd/hdr playback
2) whether the device conforms to the security requirements imposed by drm, one of them being a locked bootloader

If a device is registered and conforms to the requirements, whether it's on global, cn or even fake/custom roms, it will have widevine l1 and hd playback on Netflix.

And it's not china doesn't allow google services, it's that they discourage using Google services, which is why playstore is not installed out of the box. Depending on manufacturers, google framework is sometimes already installed. Installing playstore is just a mere APK installation or even the Chinese app store has it.

Do not equate china rom = something like Huawei devices. Huawei is outright banned from google and getting google services into Huawei devices is a much more complex process.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Roger, thanks for clarification

Np.

Also do note that models that do not have official global releases, like mi pad 5 pro, Lenovo xiaoxin pad plus, Lenovo xiaoxin pad pro 2021, etc,

Sellers install fake global roms and market them as 'global sets'. These roms are unofficial, may have security issues, is unsupported by manufacturers and can never be updated. For these models, it's always better to stick with the original china roms since roms from these models do have gms and installing Google stuff is not an issue.

For bros who, unfortunately, get a set with unofficial fake roms on their sets, I think they can engage the services of this person in carousell. A bro earlier had engaged his services and managed to restore his xx pad pro 2021 on fake rom back to original cn rom. This person seems quite reputable also.

LkizjEf_d.webp

Last edited:

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after 1,000 years I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Lenovo Pad Pro 2020. chose this after some good advice from Remless and Teomingern. hopefully this summary helps anyone deciding:

P11 (SD662): No for me. SD662 is too outdated now and my previous SD662 was Samsung Tab A7 which I hated\

Tab Plus (SD 750G): Was my 2nd choice but decided against it due to LCD screen (hate light bleeding way more than "jagged edges". my last "jagged edges due to pentile display" was er I think Samsung S2 phone in 2011) and the plastic build. China reviewers are amazingly detailed and they shat on the plastic frame around the screen so, meh. Price is too close to my Goldilocks, which is...

Pad Pro 2020 (SD 730G): Chipset is same on Pixel 4A which I remembered fondly and is proof the chip can at least last for a few years. Only drawback is Android 11 is likely the last update :(

Pad Pro 2021 (SD 870): Bit too ex for me. I want a good tablet but I don't need a powerhorse. Currently, am waiting for a Realme GT Master Explorer from tanteo75 so having 2 SD 870 devices feel overkill for me (personally).

I bought my Pad Pro 2020 for $274. Don't think anyone else can get at this price as I have a voucher to use. but the base price of $319 is quite attractive already (roughly $20 cheaper than monmart/mercury/tanteo): https://www.lazada.sg/products/i211...mp=1&spm=spm=a2o42.order_details.item_title.1

After chatting with the seller, I initially only had 3 asks:
1) Sealed package (they told me oh we need to unseal to check condition I'm like no don't touch it).. tho I think it'd still have been opened, somehow.
2) I want the original China ROM with ZUI
3) I can install Google myself

Seller then told me "this one not ZUI, it's Android 10" which I gave up asking by then cos I type in Chinese but they reply in English (?? just reply to me in Chinese la). I assume Android 10 = Global ROM and decided I have enough experience with flashing ROMs, so went ahead to order.

Re-reading all the older posts about Global ROM vs ZUI, am really glad to have ordered Pad Pro 2020... since seller claims it's NOT ZUI, then there can only be 2 outcomes:

1) The tablet has an "unofficial global ROM", which I suppose I can flash to the official global ROM (aka P11 Pro)
2) The tablet is flashed with the official global ROM (aka P11 Pro) then yay I don't have to do anything

Will encourage curious buyers to read the posts because various members have put in due diligence to share info. Even I forgot some info and kept insisting for ZUI but that's probably more applicable for Pad Plus and Pro 2021 model.

Now, only hoping the tablet comes before CNY otherwise I might have to wait an extra whole week (buffering and assuming the worst).

Okay that's all!

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
after 1,000 years I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Lenovo Pad Pro 2020. chose this after some good advice from Remless and Teomingern. hopefully this summary helps anyone deciding:

P11 (SD662): No for me. SD662 is too outdated now and my previous SD662 was Samsung Tab A7 which I hated\

Tab Plus (SD 750G): Was my 2nd choice but decided against it due to LCD screen (hate light bleeding way more than "jagged edges". my last "jagged edges due to pentile display" was er I think Samsung S2 phone in 2011) and the plastic build. China reviewers are amazingly detailed and they shat on the plastic frame around the screen so, meh. Price is too close to my Goldilocks, which is...

Pad Pro 2020 (SD 730G): Chipset is same on Pixel 4A which I remembered fondly and is proof the chip can at least last for a few years. Only drawback is Android 11 is likely the last update :(

Pad Pro 2021 (SD 870): Bit too ex for me. I want a good tablet but I don't need a powerhorse. Currently, am waiting for a Realme GT Master Explorer from tanteo75 so having 2 SD 870 devices feel overkill for me (personally).

I bought my Pad Pro 2020 for $274. Don't think anyone else can get at this price as I have a voucher to use. but the base price of $319 is quite attractive already (roughly $20 cheaper than monmart/mercury/tanteo): https://www.lazada.sg/products/i2110147690-s11882861977.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm=a2o42.order_details.item_title.1

After chatting with the seller, I initially only had 3 asks:
1) Sealed package (they told me oh we need to unseal to check condition I'm like no don't touch it).. tho I think it'd still have been opened, somehow.
2) I want the original China ROM with ZUI
3) I can install Google myself

Seller then told me "this one not ZUI, it's Android 10" which I gave up asking by then cos I type in Chinese but they reply in English (?? just reply to me in Chinese la). I assume Android 10 = Global ROM and decided I have enough experience with flashing ROMs, so went ahead to order.

Re-reading all the older posts about Global ROM vs ZUI, am really glad to have ordered Pad Pro 2020... since seller claims it's NOT ZUI, then there can only be 2 outcomes:

1) The tablet has an "unofficial global ROM", which I suppose I can flash to the official global ROM (aka P11 Pro)
2) The tablet is flashed with the official global ROM (aka P11 Pro) then yay I don't have to do anything

Will encourage curious buyers to read the posts because various members have put in due diligence to share info. Even I forgot some info and kept insisting for ZUI but that's probably more applicable for Pad Plus and Pro 2021 model.

Now, only hoping the tablet comes before CNY otherwise I might have to wait an extra whole week (buffering and assuming the worst).

Okay that's all!

Welcome to the lenovo club.

Lol. Even cheaper than the $285 that I paid for.

This seller seems to be an overseas seller, so if there are issues, u may need to ship it back through lazada. But lenovo has pretty good qc. Should not be an issue (I bought mine from overseas seller also, but from qoo10)

Can u direct me to the Chinese review on the pad plus, just for reference?

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the lenovo club.

Lol. Even cheaper than the $285 that I paid for.

This seller seems to be an overseas seller, so if there are issues, u may need to ship it back through lazada. But lenovo has pretty good qc. Should not be an issue (I bought mine from overseas seller also, but from qoo10)

Can u direct me to the Chinese review on the pad plus, just for reference.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV15w411o7SN?share_source=copy_web
at about 00:40 he talks about the plastic frame around the screen. cos is plastic frame and back mah so cannot do like Pro 2020 and 2021 unibody metal and wrap to the screen. I mean it's not a deal breaker but when the price difference between Plus and pro 2020 is $30 I will just get the one that will feel better in hand.

and yup this is overseas store I believe! now waiting very patiently for it to arrive haha

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV15w411o7SN?share_source=copy_web
at about 00:40 he talks about the plastic frame around the screen. cos is plastic frame and back mah so cannot do like Pro 2020 and 2021 unibody metal and wrap to the screen. I mean it's not a deal breaker but when the price difference between Plus and pro 2020 is $30 I will just get the one that will feel better in hand.

and yup this is overseas store I believe! now waiting very patiently for it to arrive haha

Lol. Some of these Chinese reviewers talk so fast.

Yeah don't think that is so much of a deal breaker, but he is right. The pad pro 2021 gives a much better user experience, if budget allows. The deal breaker part for pad plus, to me, is the max supported resolution is 1080p, where both pad pro 2020 and pad pro 2021 can go up to 2160p (4k).

Just sharing some of the hoots I bought after getting my pad pro. (All accessories and cases are interchangeable between the pad pro 2020 and pad pro 2021 as they have exactly the same dimensions and port/camera positions. Pad pro 2021 is thinner and lighter, but still fits into the cases for pad pro 2020)

dLMXYWC_d.webp

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Note to buyers who are interested in the Lenovo pad pro 12.6. (With Samsung's E4 AMOLED screen, 8gb ram and 256gb storage)

Currently there is no way to restore back to cn rom if the set had been tampered with by sellers and fake global rom is installed. No official cn rom had been released to public yet.

Buyers must request for cn rom from sellers (if available) else they will be stuck with the fake rom.

There is an official global release for this model, named as the lenovo p12 pro with 6gb ram and 128gb storage. Official roms had been released for the global version.

Flashing the official global rom to the cn/fake rom china set will result in an instant brick due to region check.

There is someone in xda is working on a way to correctly flash the cn sets with official global rom with working ota updates, but his method is incomplete (there will be issues with Bluetooth and sound, with a non-working wifi). When his method is completed, then the cn version for this model can be converted to global version.

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol. Some of these Chinese reviewers talk so fast.

Yeah don't think that is so much of a deal breaker, but he is right. The pad pro 2021 gives a much better user experience, if budget allows. The deal breaker part for pad plus, to me, is the max supported resolution is 1080p, where both pad pro 2020 and pad pro 2021 can go up to 2160p (4k).

Just sharing some of the hoots I bought after getting my pad pro. (All accessories and cases are interchangeable between the pad pro 2020 and pad pro 2021 as they have exactly the same dimensions and port/camera positions. Pad pro 2021 is thinner and lighter, but still fits into the cases for pad pro 2020)

dLMXYWC_d.webp

how is the Joyroom stylus? thinking of buying it.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
how is the Joyroom stylus? thinking of buying it.

It's just a usual passive stylus. No palm rejection of course. There is a circular disk on its tip which some people may not like. It writes well even atop a tempered glass protector. Just bought it for fun since I don't really use stylus much.

The Samsung multiport adapter is the better buy, since the USB c port of Lenovo tablet is so capable. Besides serving as otg with it's fullsized USB 3.0 port, it supports HDMI video/audio out, has an Ethernet port and even support fast charging through its own USB c port, all for just $15 at Lazada.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Note this upcoming tablet from oppo.

Let's see how it fares against the mi pad 5 pro and xx pad pro 2021, though it's more of a direct competitor against mi pad 5 pro with it's 120ghz lcd panel and skinned color os for tablet.

twinkey

Reaction score
Hi, sorry newbie here, just bought myself a Lenovo Pad Pro 2020 after all the great input and recommendations from everyone here (thanks!).

Am on global ROM updated to latest version, everything seems fine for the most part, but Netflix prompts me to update, then at the play store, it shows "the app isn't compatible with your device anymore".

Read stuff about widevine L1 etc. but don't really understand haha, is there anything I can do to get Netflix to work at this point?

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry newbie here, just bought myself a Lenovo Pad Pro 2020 after all the great input and recommendations from everyone here (thanks!).

Am on global ROM updated to latest version, everything seems fine for the most part, but Netflix prompts me to update, then at the play store, it shows "the app isn't compatible with your device anymore".

Read stuff about widevine L1 etc. but don't really understand haha, is there anything I can do to get Netflix to work at this point?

Don't worry about widevine and stuff as long as u don't attempt to unlock the bootloader and do stuff like rooting it.

U can update to the latest Netflix here.

Though seems strange. My pad pro 2020 is on china rom and I can update to the latest Netflix version via playstore, where yours cannot. Not sure why.

twinkey

Reaction score
Don't worry about widevine and stuff as long as u don't attempt to unlock the bootloader and do stuff like rooting it.

U can update to the latest Netflix here.

Though seems strange. My pad pro 2020 is on china rom and I can update to the latest Netflix version via playstore, where yours cannot. Not sure why.
Yeah no idea why haha

Nice, worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got an update via OTA on my xiaoxin pad pro 2020.

TB-J706F_USR_S620022_2109100042_Q00067_ROW

to

TB-J706F_USR_S620150_2112260043_Q00067_ROW.

Updated it. Thats the newest now?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got an update via OTA on my xiaoxin pad pro 2020.

TB-J706F_USR_S620022_2109100042_Q00067_ROW

to

TB-J706F_USR_S620150_2112260043_Q00067_ROW.

Updated it. Thats the newest now?
You're running ZUI is it?

Mine is on Global ROM... and I just got updated OTA this morning... didn't expect it but it is on Android 11 now... I thought my tablet was already on Android 11 but there was an update... the ROM version is now TB-J706G_S620150_211226_ROW... seems like this is a 26 Dec 2021 update...

EDIT: I check the LMSA sotfware and the above global ROM is the latest available for now...

Last edited:

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're running ZUI is it?

Mine is on Global ROM... and I just got updated OTA this morning... didn't expect it but it is on Android 11 now... I thought my tablet was already on Android 11 but there was an update... the ROM version is now TB-J706G_S620150_211226_ROW... seems like this is a 26 Dec 2021 update...

EDIT: I check the LMSA sotfware and the above global ROM is the latest available for now...

im on global rom.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.