China Tablets to recommend

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is treble ready, but don't really need to bother flashing gsi. So far only android 10 gsi works and attempts to flash android 11 gsi all encounter softbricks and bootloop at logo. Also, interest in this device is quite lacklustre so there isn't enough people to try things out and troubleshoot.

https://www.bilibili.com/read/mobile?id=9406647

Thanks!

GJN

Reaction score
Oh? You flashed the tablet eh? Easy to do or not? Wondering if my iPlay20 is also Treble ready although really no issue with it so no incentive to flash...

Yes, I have been using gsi from Android 10 and recently swifted to Android 12 after some expert discovered a way to flash it. I am using the most recent Crdroid (8.5) now. Android 12 feels better than Android 10 in many aspects. It is not easy but not too difficult if you follow it right and be prepared for some trial and error.

iPlay 20 do not seem to have a lot info on gsi. iPlay 40 which has quite similar spec to M40 is certainly gsi flashable.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
New Lenovo tablet rumors...

Certainly not looking forward to this batch and certainly not hoping it's 5g (prices will be skyhigh). Probably they will release new versions for lower end SD600+ ones and midtier sd700+ ones, or mediatek based ones.

For flagships, currently for the Qualcomm soc, SD870 is still the best for sustainable performance. Sd888 and sd8 gen 1 both sucks with overheating and throttling issues. So much so that Samsung has to underclock the chips in S8 tab, making performance not that much stellar to worth an upgrade over sd870.

Best to wait for the 2nd half of the year which Qualcomm should release revisions for the SD888 and sd8 gen 1, just like how sd870 is a revised sd865 and sd860 is a revised sd855.

thepink

Reaction score
Anyone knows where to buy Lenovo Xiao Xin Pad Pro from shops at reasonable price with local rom?
Thanks

tek888

Reaction score
Anyone knows where to buy Lenovo Xiao Xin Pad Pro from shops at reasonable price with local rom?
Thanks

this seller has shops in Jurong and Toa Payoh. You can check with them

their prices are not cheap compared to shopee sellers.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks

There is no 'local rom'. Only global ROM and cn ROM.

And for this model, new china stocks with android 11 has region check in place and is no longer easily convertible to global ROM. They are being flashed with fake global ROM that is permanently not updateable and stuck with android 10, with security issues also.

Unless u are very lucky to get old stocks with official android 10 base, there is a very high chance u will get a set with fake global ROM.

For Lenovo tablets, it's safer to insist on the cn ROM.

thepink

Reaction score
There is no 'local rom'. Only global ROM and cn ROM.

And for this model, new china stocks with android 11 has region check in place and is no longer easily convertible to global ROM. They are being flashed with fake global ROM that is permanently not updateable and stuck with android 10, with security issues also.

Unless u are very lucky to get old stocks with official android 10 base, there is a very high chance u will get a set with fake global ROM.

For Lenovo tablets, it's safer to insist on the cn ROM.
Thanks for your useful info.
Looks like its Mi Pad 5 or 5 Pro for me then.
If we buy with china rom and sideload Google play, what are the know problems or compatibilities, if any.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your useful info.
Looks like its Mi Pad 5 or 5 Pro for me then.
If we buy with china rom and sideload Google play, what are the know problems or compatibilities, if any.

Its up to u. Fyi, Mi pad 5 pro is also running on china rom and non-local mi pad 5 are china rom also.

There isn't any so called 'compatibility' or problems between whichever rom and the apps, whether playstore is preinstalled or sideloaded. They are all android. Its just the language and UI flavor.

Since from your answers u probably don't have much experiences in using non-global roms or custom roms, so just stick to local mi pad 5.

thepink

Reaction score
Its up to u. Fyi, Mi pad 5 pro is also running on china rom and non-local mi pad 5 are china rom also.

There isn't any so called 'compatibility' or problems between whichever rom and the apps, whether playstore is preinstalled or sideloaded. They are all android. Its just the language and UI flavor.

Since from your answers u probably don't have much experiences in using non-global roms or custom roms, so just stick to local mi pad 5.
Thanks again. Based on your valuable explanation i think it is ok for me to buy a mi pad 5 or pro version with china rom since it is much cheaper than the local version even though i cannot read chinese..

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. Based on your valuable explanation i think it is ok for me to buy a mi pad 5 or pro version with china rom since it is much cheaper than the local version even though i cannot read chinese..

Up to u then. U probably didn't read through the tons of info in front how Lenovo tablets are much more superior than mi pad 5. I would only recommend mi pad 5 local for those who seek local warranty and support. If export/china sets are acceptable, mi pad 5/pro will be way below recommendations as they are so lacking for the price they are charging, especially with better options like Lenovo pad pro 2021 and vivo pad around.

salmonella

Reaction score
Dear all, I have some questions.

1. If CN ROM is preferred, why not buy directly from taobao where it is cheaper and we will surely get a CN ROM?

2. Which tablet offers longer period of official ROM upgrades?

3. Between the Lenovo Pad Pro 2021, Mi Pad 5 and other 2nd tier China brands (Teclast, Alldocube), which supports GSI ROM with no issues?

4. Is there alternative stylus for Lenovo or Mi Pads? Not sure what tech the stylus use.. Can for example an oppo stylus or wacom stylus work? Are they compatible with each other (eg. use Lenovo stylus on Mi Pad), or must buy the OEM?

Last edited:

salmonella

Reaction score
Yes, I have been using gsi from Android 10 and recently swifted to Android 12 after some expert discovered a way to flash it. I am using the most recent Crdroid (8.5) now. Android 12 feels better than Android 10 in many aspects. It is not easy but not too difficult if you follow it right and be prepared for some trial and error.

iPlay 20 do not seem to have a lot info on gsi. iPlay 40 which has quite similar spec to M40 is certainly gsi flashable.
Do you have a link to GSI instructions for the M40? I have a couple of those... and wondering if it would work on M40 pro / T40 pro.

GJN

Reaction score
Do you have a link to GSI instructions for the M40? I have a couple of those... and wondering if it would work on M40 pro / T40 pro.

You can refer to:-

1) Iplay 40 Xda (post #68)
2) M40 Xda (read those by AllexBast)

M40 pro/T40 pro don't seem to have a lot of info on gsi. My experience is only on M40. I think the steps will be quite similar as they share similar cpu and gpu.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I have some questions.

1. If CN ROM is preferred, why not buy directly from taobao where it is cheaper and we will surely get a CN ROM?

2. Which tablet offers longer period of official ROM upgrades?

3. Between the Lenovo Pad Pro 2021, Mi Pad 5 and other 2nd tier China brands (Teclast, Alldocube), which supports GSI ROM with no issues?

4. Is there alternative stylus for Lenovo or Mi Pads? Not sure what tech the stylus use.. Can for example an oppo stylus or wacom stylus work? Are they compatible with each other (eg. use Lenovo stylus on Mi Pad), or must buy the OEM?

1. Taobao's customer support is near zero. Any issues with the purchase u will have to deal with the china seller yourself and handle return shipping yourself. If u add shipping costs, the price is not that much difference from local sellers. Do note the hidden costs and not just the listed prices in taobao.

2. No doubt Samsung and Apple. 2nd is lenovo. 3rd is Xiaomi, and possibly oppo, vivo, realme, etc. Brands like teclast, alldocube, chuwi never upgrade ROM other than early bug fixes patches.

3. None. GSI is as it's name suggest, its generic. Things are bound to break and it's a matter of trial and error which gsi ROM work best for your device. There won't be a scenario where there is 'no issues'. Even custom ROMs developed specifically for a device need several releases before it stabilize.

4. Several 3rd party brands do work well. I think some bros here has good experience with some 3rd party styluses.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can refer to:-

1) Iplay 40 Xda (post #68)
2) M40 Xda (read those by AllexBast)

M40 pro/T40 pro don't seem to have a lot of info on gsi. My experience is only on M40. I think the steps will be quite similar as they share similar cpu and gpu.
i have the iplay 40 T1020s model.

Now default is on android 10. So possible to flash to android 12?

Anyone in here flashed theirs?

Thanks

GJN

Reaction score
i have the iplay 40 T1020s model.

Now default is on android 10. So possible to flash to android 12?

Anyone in here flashed theirs?

Thanks

I think answer should be "yes". You can be the first one to flash it if there is no others doing that yet here. :)

1) Bootloader have to be unlocked first.
2) Download "Utility-T1020S_v02" here and execute "run.bat". This will flash the 4 files in the vendor folder (vbmeta.img, vendor.img, recovery.img & boot.img) and disable encryption, zero vbmeta, install twrp.
3) Continue the rest with steps as in post #68.
4) Done

This method of installation seem very friendly to Android 12 gsi. Out of the 4 roms (Ancient OS, Superior OS, CrDroid & Cherish OS) that I tried, all flashed smoothly and successfully.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think answer should be "yes". You can be the first one to flash it if there is no others doing that yet here. :)

2) Download "Utility-T1020S_v02" here and execute "run.bat". This will flash the 4 files in the vendor folder (vbmeta.img, vendor.img, recovery.img & boot.img) and disable encryption, zero vbmeta, install twrp.
4) Done

This method of installation seem very friendly to Android 12 gsi. Out of the 4 roms (Ancient OS, Superior OS, CrDroid & Cherish OS) that I tried, all flashed smoothly and successfully.

Dont dare to try yet as not very good in these flashing thingy.

Read the thread also like may have some issue like bugs?

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score
Dont dare to try yet as not very good in these flashing thingy.

Read the thread also like may have some issue like bugs?

Its inevitable to have bugs. Its a generic rom for android devices, and we know android is hardly generic with all manufacturers and brands implement their own stuff in their devices.

Since project treble enabled devices separates the OS framework and hardware specific codes, the risk of hard bricking is quite low. We are only flashing the OS layer, without touching the hardware codes, so the worst case scenario is softbrick/bootloop), which can be resolved by reflashing via recovery.

You can trial and error to see which gsi has the least issues, moving on to another if one does not work well.

Remless

Master Member
Reaction score

4) Done

So far, I think CrDroid works best for both alldocube and teclast devices. Does your 4g/lte work after flashing gsi?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.