Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrixtur

Master Member
Reaction score
I switched from SingTel -> Starhub -> Circles Life (M1) now.

I can confirm that both SingTel and Starhub have no issue with coverage and speed pretty much anywhere. One can also can a speed of above 50Mbps to 70Mbps and above anytime anywhere quite easily.

For Circles Life (M1), most of the time you will get only single digit of download speed, most of the time will be 5Mbps or below. Good enough for web surfing etc with no issues though to be fair. Coverage wise I find it acceptable too so far, later I will try it out at mrt underground and shopping mall basement. For its price of $7/mo, I have no comments seriously as of now. Only complaint will be my phone battery drain, it is totally noticeable and it is really quite bad. Less than an hour time, my battery life can drops from 90%++ to 70%++, this had not been happening before when I was on SingTel and Starhub. Very likely M1 has not enough base stations and also their base stations bandwidth are totally not enough to cope with the number of users. I will force myself to use only circles life without the use with TPG today to get a more real life one day experience on it since I have 38gb more to use until 30 nov anyway.

5MRJK5.md.jpg

Starhub Sim only is still my number 1 if not becos of the CL irresistible deal though. Once my CL price reverts back to $28 after one year, I am sure to switch back to Starhub.

Honestly i don't notice battery drain on m1 network. Maybe it depend on the apps you open.

Eventhough the telco never mention 12 month for your current package, they also can end it prematurely if they want. Like how circle discontinue the 0 $ plan. Nothing last forever.

Yah M1, circlelife drain battery damn fast especially tpg worst. During sleeping time at night M1 and circlelife drain about 2 to 3% battery while tpg drain 3 to 4% when I put airplane mode drain 0 to 1%.

Guys, mind sharing the phone model that was experiencing the battery drain? I had a similar experience using Samsung Note 5, but have yet to test on my S9+. Currently running dual sim on the latter with M1 and TPG.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it is quite hard to prove that the battery drain is due to M1 using a phone.

There are so many variables at play.

Must use a 4G signal analyzer to determine the signal strength.

zenify.me

Reaction score
Guys, mind sharing the phone model that was experiencing the battery drain? I had a similar experience using Samsung Note 5, but have yet to test on my S9+. Currently running dual sim on the latter with M1 and TPG.

Was with M1 previously and thought that my note 9 had shitty standby battery life..... now I am not sure is it the phone or the telco.....

WuRenJi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s absolutely not the case, otherwise you’ll run out of data within a day or two with any smartphone by just texting, checking mail, checking weather, checking traffic status etc.

I think for example. if you send a one byte message using whats app on Vivifi, it will be deducted as 1mb.
That would be scary. 1k message with a simple yes no reply become 1GB used. Also when surfing, checking email, phone background updates etc, most small bytes to kb, with few days your 20gb gone.

then? Do explain how it works. So if we send lets say 3000 whatsapp messages, which is only one byte to 999kb per message, but because of block size of 1mb, it won't be counted as 3gb usage?

Some mentioned the finalised bill round up to the nearest but then that won’t make just difference of up the biggest we know 1mb.

Personally I think it would be more practical if the block size mean 1mb/min or 1mb/hour, 100kb/min or 100kb/hr etc.

So during that 1 min, 15min, 30min, 1 hour, all the data used round up to the nearest block size.

That seems more logic.

Anyone can confirm?

Of coz the smaller the block size is definitely better as it is more efficient in data usage.

For me, I am looking to port over from my m1 and I am looking at gomo, grid, giga, circle life, redone.
Budget around 18-25
My avg data usage in m1 is around 3-7gb per month out of the 15gb from m1.

Redone 18 looks good for my usage but worry about the 100kb blocksize. That’s why finding out how they calculate the data usage.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some mentioned the finalised bill round up to the nearest but then that won’t make just difference of up the biggest we know 1mb.

Personally I think it would be more practical if the block size mean 1mb/min or 1mb/hour, 100kb/min or 100kb/hr etc.

So during that 1 min, 15min, 30min, 1 hour, all the data used round up to the nearest block size.

The rounding up in the final bill is definitely rubbish.

If the block size is data per unit time, then it will be mentioned like

1mb/min or 1mb/hour, 100kb/min or 100kb/hr etc.

The block is mentioned in data size only.

Isn't there a telco or 4G data expert around in this forum?

WuRenJi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The rounding up in the final bill is definitely rubbish.

If the block size is data per unit time, then it will be mentioned like

1mb/min or 1mb/hour, 100kb/min or 100kb/hr etc.

The block is mentioned in data size only.

Isn't there a telco or 4G data expert around in this forum?

If not by per unit time, it is pretty scary. Imagine we keep refreshing edmw webpage. How much block of 1mb or 100kb will be used... soon u see your data quota gone within days. Also our phone has a lot of background request and retrieve activity, some every few mins to every few hours.

Aikon

Reaction score
sh no sms.. so lousy on this ... the rest is same

Depends on individual. Anyway I'm paying via credit card, so get 100 sms free a month. More than sufficient. Hardly ever use SMS. Not more than 10 a month.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends on individual. Anyway I'm paying via credit card, so get 100 sms free a month. More than sufficient. Hardly ever use SMS. Not more than 10 a month.

Yeah. Easy solution. Not a deal breaker for not signing Starhub.

Reborn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That would be scary. 1k message with a simple yes no reply become 1GB used. Also when surfing, checking email, phone background updates etc, most small bytes to kb, with few days your 20gb gone.

That seems more logic.

Anyone can confirm?

Of coz the smaller the block size is definitely better as it is more efficient in data usage.

For me, I am looking to port over from my m1 and I am looking at gomo, grid, giga, circle life, redone.
Budget around 18-25
My avg data usage in m1 is around 3-7gb per month out of the 15gb from m1.

Redone 18 looks good for my usage but worry about the 100kb blocksize. That’s why finding out how they calculate the data usage.

I think you are right,Now that u mention it, remember someone mentioned Singtel round up too 100kb every 5 or 8 hours or something or if you shut down the data whichever is earlier. Can't remember clearly. Probably the rest works something like that too. Best way would be to email each MVNO MNO and ask how exactly they calculate. Remember reading that the 3gb on redone seems to consume at a faster rate than circle life because of the 100kb v 10kb block

Last edited:

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I think you are right,Now that u mention it, remember someone mentioned Singtel round up too 100kb every 5 or 8 hours or something or if you shut down the data whichever is earlier. Can't remember clearly. Probably the rest works something like that too. Best way would be to email each MVNO MNO and ask how exactly they calculate. Remember reading that the 3gb on redone seems to consume at a faster rate than circle life because of the 100kb v 10kb block

Circles life data usage is quite normal. using it now. No difference comparing to the 3 telcos.

Angtehkor

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Old spare phone mi max 3 use tpg SIM card drain about 4% at night. Current phone I using Samsung galaxy m30 use dual SIM card of both circlelife and tpg. Use to be ex M1 customer and change back to circlelife because cheap $7 per month. M1 drain about 3% at night while circlelife slightly better drain between 2 to 3% at night sometimes only about 2%. Tpg SIM card is mostly switch off on my Samsung m30 phone and rarely it use because I don't want my phone battery drain too fast

harky

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
dunno should i stick to singtel a not..

my office had problem receive singtel data.. kindly slow at 1 point i need to switch to tpg

m1
gridmobile
sh?

Last edited:

galaxyuser

Reaction score
M1 can ah. Grid runs on Singtel so no. StarHub maybe an okay choice but it's known not to always be stellar in network performance just saying.

dunno should i stick to singtel a not..

my office had problem receive singtel data.. kindly slow at 1 point i need to switch to tpg

m1
gridmobile
sh?

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I did some googling again.

I guess you are right about the block per 8 hours for Singtel.

But I'm not sure if the period is standard or same among telcos.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/77606543-post62.html

Reborn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which makes everything even less clear. 3gb plan might end up being even less than 1gb plan depending on how the block size is implemented. Really is hidden charges and marketing ploy

For Singtel is 100KB block.

Still better than per simple message rounded to 100KB.

When I was using Singtel 2GB, I didn't notice the fast data. Some more I toggled data frequently.

Probably because I didn't use internet messaging frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.