Cousin got into accident without insurance under his name

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First of all, quite a number here need to be informed what 3rd party means.

3rd party in auto insurance means the other party/parties involved in the accident other than the driver of the vehicle.

The other thing is who is covered by the insurance. Meaning apart from the owner of the vehicle. This is totally different from 3rd party.

Some insurance covers only owner of vehicle.
Some insurance covers only named drivers. You have to submit particulars of the people driving the vehicle.
Some insurance covers any drivers so long they are above 30 years old and permitted by owner to drive the vehicle.
Some insurance covers anyone driving the vehicle as long as permitted by owner.

The more people (and also younger people) the insurance covers, the higher it is.

Hi

Thanks. I think I am confused with that when I signed up for the insurance. Sorry to say, but it just mean that the T&Cs of insurance products are still not drafted to allow layman on the street to understand. I apologize I may be the only person in the world to not know what it means.

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
Btw, it is compulsory for all auto insurance to cover 3rd party.

There are a few type of insurances around:
3rd party only
3rd party, fire theft
Comprehensive (covers all)

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks. I think I am confused with that when I signed up for the insurance. Sorry to say, but it just mean that the T&Cs of insurance products are still not drafted to allow layman on the street to understand. I apologize I may be the only person in the world to not know what it means.

This is why it is important to know what you are buying. Basically DA, Aviva, those cheap insurance may have quite a number of exclusions by default. Which explains why the premium is lower. For instance, if you add more drivers, the premium goes up etc.

I believe for your case, DA may be washing their hands out of this matter because you did not report the incident to them. Hence, they may have voided your insurance due to that. I'm just guessing cos I do not know the details and T&C of your insurance.

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is why it is important to know what you are buying. Basically DA, Aviva, those cheap insurance may have quite a number of exclusions by default. Which explains why the premium is lower. For instance, if you add more drivers, the premium goes up etc.

I believe for your case, DA may be washing their hands out of this matter because you did not report the incident to them. Hence, they may have voided your insurance due to that. I'm just guessing cos I do not know the details and T&C of your insurance.

Latest update from my cousin was...she updated to them within 24 hrs. Can they still wash off now?

In addition, they agreed to take up all the way till 1 week b4 the first hearing, they throw a bomb and decided not to. 1 week they expect her to find a lawyer suddenly? This is like giving us little to no time to response and discuss with our new appointed lawyer even if we want to.

Sorry to say, but DA is really lousy

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
Latest update from my cousin was...she updated to them within 24 hrs. Can they still wash off now?

In addition, they agreed to take up all the way till 1 week b4 the first hearing, they throw a bomb and decided not to. 1 week they expect her to find a lawyer suddenly? This is like giving us little to no time to response and discuss with our new appointed lawyer even if we want to.

Sorry to say, but DA is really lousy

Then the next thing to check is, is your cousin covered by your insurance. Does your insurance cover other driver(s) other than yourself? Check the age, driving experience etc.

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then the next thing to check is, is your cousin covered by your insurance. Does your insurance cover other driver(s) other than yourself? Check the age, driving experience etc.

I wouldnt buy one that covers cousin specifically mah..but it is an insurance that say it covers authorized drivers. Only to have one small little T&C hidden somewhere that states need above 30 and 2yrs driving exp zz

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
Personally I am covered by Aviva. Car is stock and original.

I had an accident and the other party claimed against my insurance. I also claimed against my insurance.

Everything went well without any issues.

So if you intend to go with DA or Aviva, please make sure your car is totally stock and original. And read what is covered carefully before signing up.

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was considering to insure with DA... lucky see this thread.

Depending on how they treat my case..if they really withdraw themselves..then yes, you shd avoid at all cost

Last edited:

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy one that covers cousin specifically mah..but it is an insurance that say it covers authorized drivers. Only to have one small little T&C hidden somewhere that states need above 30 and 2yrs driving exp zz

Of course you don't have to buy insurance for your cousin separately. Your insurance should cover her.

So the problem is here: she is under 30 and is not covered by your insurance.
You should've read carefully and know that your cousin is not covered by your own insurance.

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course you don't have to buy insurance for your cousin separately. Your insurance should cover her.

So the problem is here: she is under 30 and is not covered by your insurance.
You should've read carefully and know that your cousin is not covered by your own insurance.

Weird. Are u from DA? I know is my fault for not checking the T&C carefully everytime before I loan my car out. But you are not helping at all. So u feel I should bear the whole 100k just for this oversight?

In addition, if this is a big clause DA shouldnt had agree to take this up and wait till 1 wk before the case to absolve their duties.

Furthermore, DA should has highlight to me 1year ago that they are not taking up and not sit on it till 1 wk before.

For you, please kindly read a post by fellow forumer who faced the almost similar plight as me.

Seems like this is how DA works. They will always try to find ways and means to absolve their Fiduciary duties.

I apologize if i sound harsh even though thats not how i meant to bring it across. But your nick is advise and advices..but seems like beside pointing again and again is my fault..i dont see any valid advises from the quoted post

Thanks

Last edited:

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Weird. Are u from DA? I know is my fault for not checking the T&C carefully everytime before I loan my car out. But you are not helping at all. So u feel I should bear the whole 100k just for this oversight?

In addition, if this is a big clause DA shouldnt had agree to take this up and wait till 1 wk before the case to absolve their duties.

Furthermore, DA should has highlight to me 1year ago that they are not taking up and not sit on it till 1 wk before.
Sorry to hear your get to be a victim of DA.
Heard lot of bad experiences from this insurance company and seriously do not know why they still exist, as believe their marketing in advertising works as they 'dare to ensure to be the lowest??'.
But they seem to find the loop-hole in it which many over-looked.

Just my 2cents of opinion as am not trying to side any end but believe you need to take certain level of responsibility for not 'knowing' what you purchased aka signed and sadly enough by not knowing so you allow your cousin to drive.
So to say, your cousin is driving without insurance on the road which it worries many road users around.

Heng and suay enough it only talk about money, lot of money as we know but luckily NO life involved.
Looking at another perspective with benefit of doubts given that the victim may really suffered badly after the accident that why a claim of 100k was made to you.
Understand from.the breakdown may helps.

Sadly enough for the victim now he cannot claim from your insurance company, putting yourself in the shoes, think the victim may need to scratch his head more than you as his bills maybe piling up and he may need to cash for his well-being.

Like what many suggested, hard pressed on the insurance company if you think you are in the right thou as all parties should get covered with what each's 'deserved' ba.

For your find a solution for this soon and share with us on the outcome.

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your get to be a victim of DA.
Heard lot of bad experiences from this insurance company and seriously do not know why they still exist, as believe their marketing in advertising works as they 'dare to ensure to be the lowest??'.
But they seem to find the loop-hole in it which many over-looked.

Just my 2cents of opinion as am not trying to side any end but believe you need to take certain level of responsibility for not 'knowing' what you purchased aka signed and sadly enough by not knowing so you allow your cousin to drive.
So to say, your cousin is driving without insurance on the road which it worries many road users around.

Heng and suay enough it only talk about money, lot of money as we know but luckily NO life involved.
Looking at another perspective with benefit of doubts given that the victim may really suffered badly after the accident that why a claim of 100k was made to you.
Understand from.the breakdown may helps.

Sadly enough for the victim now he cannot claim from your insurance company, putting yourself in the shoes, think the victim may need to scratch his head more than you as his bills maybe piling up and he may need to cash for his well-being.

Like what many suggested, hard pressed on the insurance company if you think you are in the right thou as all parties should get covered with what each's 'deserved' ba.

For your find a solution for this soon and share with us on the outcome.

Hi thanks. But cousin is not driving without insurance but assuming there is. But weird I dont even know before the case that there are insurance that covers solely the owner and not tagged to the car.

Yes i do wan to stand in the victim pov. However, it is just a mere scratch to the car. I cant see why will there be any serious injury. For all i know it was an injury that was resulted from other accident (not via RTA) yet he is using it for at his adv. Otherwise why wait the 1yr?

adviseandadvices

Reaction score

For you, please kindly read a post by fellow forumer who faced the almost similar plight as me.

Seems like this is how DA works. They will always try to find ways and means to absolve their Fiduciary duties.

I apologize if i sound harsh even though thats not how i meant to bring it across. But your nick is advise and advices..but seems like beside pointing again and again is my fault..i dont see any valid advises from the quoted post

Thanks

No, I'm not from DA.

My posts are full of advices for you which is "read before you sign/buy anything".

You should read the other case carefully. It is totally different from yours.

Anyway, like what others have mentioned, go and seek legal advice if you think you have been wrongfully rejected by DA.

There are 2 wrongs in your case. One is you know what. The other is the inflated claims by the 3rd party.

IMO, I do not think DA was wrong after finding out more details from you.

So I'm out of this thread.

Good luck.

adviseandadvices

Reaction score
Btw, there's another case where a drunk driver crashed into a GTR.

Being drunk, insurance did not cover the drunkard and victim had problem claiming.
This will be similar to your case where your cousin was driving around without valid insurance coverage.

Hope you won't meet any drunkards driving on the road.

Good luck and out.

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did u take a look at the lawyer's demand letter/writ of summons to see the breakdown of that 100k?

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not from DA.

My posts are full of advices for you which is "read before you sign/buy anything".

You should read the other case carefully. It is totally different from yours.

Anyway, like what others have mentioned, go and seek legal advice if you think you have been wrongfully rejected by DA.

There are 2 wrongs in your case. One is you know what. The other is the inflated claims by the 3rd party.

IMO, I do not think DA was wrong after finding out more details from you.

So I'm out of this thread.

Good luck.

you are referring to your own case and not this

Dear TS, I was in a same situation as you a few years back.

Unnamed driver was driving my car and got into an accident. DA cancelled my policy and washed their hands off the matter. I had to pay for my own repairs. A few months later, I received a lawyer's letter from the other party claiming damages from me.

I filled a dispute through Fidrec to DA, after a year of sitting down and talking, Fidrec ruled the case in my favour as DA has no right to cancel my policy. My repair fees were paid by DA and DA had to bear the bost of the repair fees of the other party as well. Throughout the whole case, I kept the other party's lawyer informed of my case with DA to avoid them pressing me for payment. Fidrec also mentioned that some clauses in the insurance policy was unfair to the policyholder. The officer also mentioned there are lots of compliants against the above party n

My advise:
1. Fill a dispute through Fidrec.
2. Show the dispute letter to the other party's lawyer saying you are getting DA to party. Most likely they will wait.
3. Keep any receipts you have if you paid for any repairs for your own vehicle.

3rd party insurance is compulsory and as long as the driver is not driving with a suspended license or with no license, your insurance company must cover 3rd party. Some cheaper insurance companies are known to look into loopholes to avoid paying when there is an accident. Keep your stand if you are right and everything will work out. quoted from earlier post

where is the totally different? zzz..

and ur advise is for future tense and not solving the current problem. Who doesnt know what to do in the future. i am requiring help for the past tense not for what i shd do in the future.

thats why i say your advises are not useful at all...when i set up the thread is to seek advises for the unintentional error i made in the past and ways to mitigate it. No point telling me I should read the T&C carefully now so that I wont repeat the same mistake next time.

Hope u understand my frustration as if you are in my shoe thats why u duno the frustration I am facing having to handle such an issue whose aunt keep calling me day in day out to seek help. I uds it is hard for u to uds since you are not even involve in the case. But if there is no advise u can give...a word of comfort is also nice. But trying to tell me what u just said, doesnt help.

Nevertheless thank you for spending time to give the side of your opinion.

Last edited:

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks. But cousin is not driving without insurance but assuming there is. But weird I dont even know before the case that there are insurance that covers solely the owner and not tagged to the car.

Yes i do wan to stand in the victim pov. However, it is just a mere scratch to the car. I cant see why will there be any serious injury. For all i know it was an injury that was resulted from other accident (not via RTA) yet he is using it for at his adv. Otherwise why wait the 1yr?

Chill bro, can see you are pretty upset which I think we all as drivers will feel the same if the same happened.
Felt like being 'conned' thou which if any driver will to know to save that little for such restriction, most not all will purchased a 'better aka higher' insurance policy.

There are lot of things that does not made or sound right to any here(unless any here really working for/with/under DA)?

Think going to the right authority or legal advices helps much more now.

It going to be frustrating as we can can imagine how troublesome it can be when you paid for the coverage yet they failed you badly.

Think after it solved, do everyone a favour and make it 'BIG' to create a wider awareness to everyone.
Cheers

Snokey

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear TS, I was in a same situation as you a few years back.

Unnamed driver was driving my car and got into an accident. DA cancelled my policy and washed their hands off the matter. I had to pay for my own repairs. A few months later, I received a lawyer's letter from the other party claiming damages from me.

I filled a dispute through Fidrec to DA, after a year of sitting down and talking, Fidrec ruled the case in my favour as DA has no right to cancel my policy. My repair fees were paid by DA and DA had to bear the bost of the repair fees of the other party as well. Throughout the whole case, I kept the other party's lawyer informed of my case with DA to avoid them pressing me for payment. Fidrec also mentioned that some clauses in the insurance policy was unfair to the policyholder. The officer also mentioned there are lots of compliants against the above party n

My advise:
1. Fill a dispute through Fidrec.
2. Show the dispute letter to the other party's lawyer saying you are getting DA to party. Most likely they will wait.
3. Keep any receipts you have if you paid for any repairs for your own vehicle.

3rd party insurance is compulsory and as long as the driver is not driving with a suspended license or with no license, your insurance company must cover 3rd party. Some cheaper insurance companies are known to look into loopholes to avoid paying when there is an accident. Keep your stand if you are right and everything will work out.
this is good advice.

@ TS, i'm on DA as well, and it's indeed stated that under 30 not covered. think you have to pay more if you want to include this group.

but now to think of it, it's indeed risky to save on this (initially i thought i am the only one driving the car, no one else in the family has a license, but things do change along the way). think i will switch to a more comprehensive plan with another company when my insurance expire this year

also i hearsay that the more exp insurance plans are "easier" to claim, compared to the cheaper plans like DA and Aviva. not sure exactly how true that is.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.