Data Science Courses/Degress/Work

Fattmong

Reaction score
Mong, it sounds like you are already doing alot of courses. To answer your question, yes AI is for DA/DS. AI is kind of like an overarching topic that encompasses DA & DS.

Since you already have sufficient python background, then i recommend that you just go for AI200 straight. Else, you'd be wasting your time on learning python again in AI100. Thereafter, you should learn:

In the following order:
- object oriented programming (if your self-learnt courses didn't cover this)
- deploying your machine learning models
- math behind machine learning (with andrew ng's machine learning course)
- Computer vision & deep learning (This is not a must know, but rather good to know. Anyway I have a good online course for this to recommend, so let me know when you reach this stage).
Nice I will take note of them, actually I kind of wasted time doing python on coursera courses because I do not think those courses are that good, content alittle old

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
by the way is "datacamp" a good platform to practice coding challenge or interview like coding assignment?

DataScience

Reaction score
by the way is "datacamp" a good platform to practice coding challenge or interview like coding assignment?
check out leetcode. It is frequently used by tech companies to conduct coding interview. Plus, the questions are much closer to the type of questions you get in technical interviews.

Shaneee

Reaction score
One question: is it important to have github for DA/DS role?

DataScience

Reaction score
One question: is it important to have github for DA/DS role?
If you mean whether it will help you get a job to have a github portfolio, it definitely is useful in showing prospective employers your ability.

If you meant if a DA/DS should know how to use github, then yes. Because most companies will use git technologies to version control code etc.

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Hi DS,

Do you have any recommendation where can i learn the tools needed for DA such as SQL, Power BI, Excel etc?
Let me try to answer for Power BI learning resources since I learnt Power BI (desktop version) from a private education institute and using it for my current data science traineeship.

1. A hosted site on Google which one user had kindly uploaded the notes for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link to access it)

2. YouTube playlist for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link here)

3. The Github repository containing lab files for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link to access it)

4. Two good books on learning Power BI for starters from NLB e-resources website
a) Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop by Dan Clark (Overdrive link is found here)

b) Data Analysis with Microsoft Power BI by Brian Larson (Overdrive link is found here)

For the DA course I took so far, OOP don't seems to the focus even though I do know how to write them from scratch. My motivation to pickup DA is still mostly on computer visions. But too bad I still need to understand some of the formulas for regression, classifications, clustering and so on. I felt lazy when I simply rely on scikit-learn library instead of writing out the function myself.
I get to see the real-life application of Computer Vision (CV) relating to image recognition and object detection. CV also appears to be in demand as I saw a job position for a Data Scientist - Computer Vision in Carousell (job link is here).

A quick question for @DataScience : Is CV is deemed to be "outdated" in the current data science industry as the trend seems to be in machine learning and deep learning?

we can look at specifically CS 6476: Computer Vision for more details. Some resources links are as follows:
a) Official OMSC CS 6476 module overview (click to access)
b) One of the recommended textbooks for CS 6476 (click to access)
c) OMSCentral reviews by previous students on CS 6476 (click to access)

DataScience

Reaction score
Let me try to answer for Power BI learning resources since I learnt Power BI (desktop version) from a private education institute and using it for my current data science traineeship.

1. A hosted site on Google which one user had kindly uploaded the notes for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link to access it)

2. YouTube playlist for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link here)

3. The Github repository containing lab files for "DAT207x Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Power BI" (click on the link to access it)

4. Two good books on learning Power BI for starters from NLB e-resources website
a) Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop by Dan Clark (Overdrive link is found here)

b) Data Analysis with Microsoft Power BI by Brian Larson (Overdrive link is found here)

I get to see the real-life application of Computer Vision (CV) relating to image recognition and object detection. CV also appears to be in demand as I saw a job position for a Data Scientist - Computer Vision in Carousell (job link is here).

A quick question for @DataScience : Is CV is deemed to be "outdated" in the current data science industry as the trend seems to be in machine learning and deep learning?

we can look at specifically CS 6476: Computer Vision for more details. Some resources links are as follows:
a) Official OMSC CS 6476 module overview (click to access)
b) One of the recommended textbooks for CS 6476 (click to access)
c) OMSCentral reviews by previous students on CS 6476 (click to access)
Great resources! Thanks for sharing so selflessly.

Firstly, I need to clarify that CV is not outdated at all. In fact, it is fast becoming a very important field. Increasing, I see a trend where many companies are starting to adopt CV. My company is starting to get more and more enquiries about CV applications - I was recently consulted by an insurance company to build some CV for their business operations.

Machine learning is basically the concept of using computer models to learn and spit out outputs. And there are many types of machine learning models that can do so. Now within this umbrella of machine learning model, there is a subclass of model => neural networks (which mirrors how a human brain works). We also call this class of models deep learning.

The advancement of deep learning (+ transfer learning) is what is driving the improvement in the field of CV. So in a nutshell deep learning is the technique, and CV is one of the type of tasks which deep learning can be applied in. So these 2 are actually related.

One other field which deep learning has an impact in is actually => Natural language processing. Meaning machine translation or sentiment analysis. Hope my answer helped.

Shaneee

Reaction score
Any recommendation list of udemy courses to take since udemy is having discounts now. That covers skillsets required for DA

dali66

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone on the thread has heard of the Trent Global Software Development bootcamp? With subsidy the course is about 4k and will get me a Diplpma in Web Application Development after completing the modules and projects. It is a 4 mth full time course and I couldn't really find much reviews on Trent Global College online. I'm in my mid 30s trying to get into tech industry with only O levels..any thoughts will really help! Thank you!

DataScience

Reaction score

DataScience

Reaction score
Any recommendation list of udemy courses to take since udemy is having discounts now. That covers skillsets required for DA
They are always on discount. Don't fall for that "discount" thingy. Anyway I mostly subscribe to Udemy for certain fullstack courses like MERN stack. Data science not really, because I haven't seen any good ones on Udemy.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone on the thread has heard of the Trent Global Software Development bootcamp? With subsidy the course is about 4k and will get me a Diplpma in Web Application Development after completing the modules and projects. It is a 4 mth full time course and I couldn't really find much reviews on Trent Global College online. I'm in my mid 30s trying to get into tech industry with only O levels..any thoughts will really help! Thank you!
Tbh haven't came across a single student who graduated from Trent, and I am not sure that is a good thing. I did however interacted with students from GA's and Le Wagon's fullstack course, and they students are pretty good. But that said, I am more inclined toward's Le Wagon's fullstack course.

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!
Welcome!
Sharing some data science articles from kdnuggets and towardsdatascience websites for reading:

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been trying out at least 4 different datasets from KAGGLE. to me over 2 hours per training set to predict the model even when I already created many templates to plug and use.

starry90466

Reaction score
Hi Datascience,

May I have your view on this course, please!

Last edited:

nwstbz23

Reaction score
I have been trying out at least 4 different datasets from KAGGLE. to me over 2 hours per training set to predict the model even when I already created many templates to plug and use.
@jgyy1990 Just curious if you don't mind sharing which datasets you have tried in kaggle. There is a huge range of datasets to explore.

For first timers to kaggle, they are introduced to the titanic and house prices- advanced regression dataset.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi Datascience,

May I have your view on this course, please!

Hi if you read my previous posts, you would know that I am not a fan of diplomas for data analytics for a few reasons:

1) Curriculum are not developed by practitioners and therefore not relevant (and looking at this curriculum I can tell you that you are NOT going to get a job after this course)

2) Instructors are not practitioners and will not be able to impart you with industry-knowledge, and they won't be able to advise you how to position yourself to get a job

3) Not value for money

If you are interested, you can scroll back my previous posts to see my recommendations for good data science courses.

Fattmong

Reaction score
Is GA Data Science Immersive worth to enroll? I am not sure if its highly recognized among the hiring companies or will the companies treat the GA cert as like "diploma/degree" or some form of formal education. I am having a hard time finding a DA job with my engineering degree and online courses, so GA might be an option but its 5k.

Edit(add-on): @DataScience I realise you have recommended georgia tech online masters which cost around 10k usd, so much pretty if i top up another 6k, I can study a master instead of GA data science immersive. Will the learning curve too steep for me if I just graduated with engineering bachelor and take master straight up?
Whats your advice on this? TBH i am kind of stuck between struggling to find a DA job and wanting to get IT cert so that the recruiter wont filter me out just because i am from engineering background.

Last edited:

Shskda

Reaction score
Hi. Great tips from all of you.
I wanted to know if anyone has taken this course.

This is a 6 month course by NUS-B school, in collaboration with greatlearning.
It will include real-time projects and also will help build an e-portfolio.

Please advise on what your thoughts are.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.