Data Science Courses/Degress/Work

nwstbz23

Reaction score
@Vaporiser Just to add what @DataScience mentioned, I have a similar background (In my 30s and have an accounting degree doing audit work before I made a mid-career switch. Currently a data analyst). Sharing some pointers:

1. You highlighted valid points on lacking SQL, Python and other direct work experience, which hiring companies would usually move on to other candidates who can pass their initial technical test. So brushing up on SQL, Python and getting real data hands-on experience will increase your interview chances, and land a job, leading to my next point below.

2. On getting real data hands-on exposure, one forum member mentioned: "Industry Connect" (see the forum post by clicking the link here) which is more towards the Microsoft tech stack. It does match closely what I do for my current work using Microsoft Business Intelligence ("BI") tools. Another training provider which I have a friend doing with now is Generation Singapore, the focus is more on BI and data engineering (link is here).

Or else, your next best bet is to go for an internship or traineeship to acquire relevant experience.
Click here for a sample of an analytics traineeship role that is open to mid-career switchers and fresh graduates.

3. The term "entry-level" is actually misleading as most hiring companies are not willing to accept people with zero relevant experience, except for internships, traineeships or companies willing to give chance to let one become a data professional. Refer to Point 2 on getting the required experience.

4. On data bootcamps, I had taken Heicoders AI200: Applied Machine Learning last October, which I found the contents industry-relevant and the learner's notes are very well created, serving as a good reference. If you do not have Python programming knowledge, taking both AI100 and AI200 may be your starting point. Or else, you can go for AI200 module directly.

Do feel free to ask if you need further clarifications.

Vaporiser

Reaction score
Hey @nwstbz23, thanks for giving out pointers.

I did consider other traineeships but my current best bet would be the upcoming TFIP program (which I had already signed up for it). Am considering signing up for the AI200 course as recommended.

Are you able to share how you successfully transit to a DA role?

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Hey @nwstbz23, thanks for giving out pointers.

I did consider other traineeships but my current best bet would be the upcoming TFIP program (which I had already signed up for it). Am considering signing up for the AI200 course as recommended.

Are you able to share how you successfully transit to a DA role?
My transition journey started with a part-time data science diploma with a private education training institution while finishing up my contract job in the year 2020. Then I did an SG United mid-career 6 months business intelligence with data science work traineeship from Jun 2021 to Nov 2021. Also completed AI200 in last Oct while doing my traineeship.

After sending about a few hundred job applications, I got my current DA role last Dec.

All the best to you if you do get TFIP.

Last edited:

jona12

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience,

Would like to get your advice on what short data science/AI course I should take? I have a computing degree, but I am working in the area of market data now. Would like to take some certification courses in DS/AI to improve my profile. Is there any courses on trading analytics or pricing analytics? I don't think I would want to take a Masters like OMSCS, Thanks.

ah lei

Reaction score
Can share what are the good sources to learn about SQL, OOP and some web application development? I am trying to upskills myself too.

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Can share what are the good sources to learn about SQL, OOP and some web application development? I am trying to upskills myself too.
Here are some resources I use for SQL:

a) Websites
1. Technically for SQL (click for link) --> Good overall explanation on SQL and also provides a list of resources
2. Select Star SQL (click for link) --> No SQL-related software installation is needed as you can do the exercises on a web browser
3. w3Schools SQL (click for link) --> Offers other programming language resources besides SQL
4. SQLZoo (click for link) --> interactive online tutorials with other SQL resources
5. SQLBolt (click for link) --> interactive exercises for learning SQL
6. w3resources for SQL (click for link) --> interactive exercises and notes for learning SQL

b) Books
1. Head First SQL (BookDepository link)
2. The Language of SQL - Larry Rockoff (BookDepository link)
3. Learning SQL: Generate, Manipulate, and Retrieve Data 3rd Edition - Alan Beaulieu (BookDepository link)

Last edited:

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience,

Would like to get your advice on what short data science/AI course I should take? I have a computing degree, but I am working in the area of market data now. Would like to take some certification courses in DS/AI to improve my profile. Is there any courses on trading analytics or pricing analytics? I don't think I would want to take a Masters like OMSCS, Thanks.
If you want to learn machine learning in general, I do think AI200 from Heicoders is pretty good.

As for pricing analytics / trading analytics, honestly there aren't many good courses online. Where trading analytics is concerned, anything that is useful and making money are going to be proprietary and closely-guarded. So they won't put it out there in a course. But maybe you can speak to people who are/used-to be from quantitative finance, perhaps they might be able to offer some insights which I cannot.

As for pricing analytics, this is a very very technical and phd-level course that is only offered in universities. You have two options which is (1) either go to the universities themselves (some famous universities who are leaders in pricing are Columbia, Georgia Tech) or (2) learn from books: https://www.amazon.sg/Pricing-Reven...3610004/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=1503610004&psc=1

DataScience

Reaction score
Are you looking for online/offline courses?

The resources shared by nwstbz23 is pretty useful especially for beginners, you can check those out.

nwstbz23

Reaction score

Tentaikun

Master Member
Reaction score
Possible to be a data analyst without knowing programming? Examples if I know excel, power bi or tableau is it enough?

DataScience

Reaction score
Possible to be a data analyst without knowing programming? Examples if I know excel, power bi or tableau is it enough?
Very few companies hire data analyst who only know those technologies. In that case, then you are not very much different from their day-to-day business analyst who already know excel. And it honestly doesn't take much to learn powerBI (a few days effort only).

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Agree with @DataScience on his views. You won't be able to address business requirements without some programming and using just in-built functions in data visualisation software. In Power BI, there are two "languages": Power Query M formula language (Microsoft link here) and Data Analysis Expressions (DAX. Microsoft link here) that are used to generate custom solutions.

See one example using Power BI to do a cumulative total ("running total") here involving some programming/scripting.

Having said the above, make SQL your must-know skill first!

jona12

Reaction score
If you want to learn machine learning in general, I do think AI200 from Heicoders is pretty good.

As for pricing analytics / trading analytics, honestly there aren't many good courses online. Where trading analytics is concerned, anything that is useful and making money are going to be proprietary and closely-guarded. So they won't put it out there in a course. But maybe you can speak to people who are/used-to be from quantitative finance, perhaps they might be able to offer some insights which I cannot.

As for pricing analytics, this is a very very technical and phd-level course that is only offered in universities. You have two options which is (1) either go to the universities themselves (some famous universities who are leaders in pricing are Columbia, Georgia Tech) or (2) learn from books: https://www.amazon.sg/Pricing-Reven...3610004/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=1503610004&psc=1

Thanks @DataScience, is there any other online/offline short course you think would be good to take to enhance employability in the analytics space?

DataScience

Reaction score
Thanks @DataScience, is there any other online/offline short course you think would be good to take to enhance employability in the analytics space?
There isn't really any other short courses that I like.

Suffice to say, it is hard to do a decent short course on Analytics. Other than Heicoders, I really haven't seen any other satisfactory providers out there.

PixelGheist

Reaction score
Hello @DataScience, need some advice from you as well.

Mid 30s with no degree, only a private dip wanting to go into tech, what would be my options and where should I set my expectations?

I've been doing some hw and just started self-learning with free online resources (books/courses) and wondering if it's worth doing the bootcamp (Le Wagon or GA, I'm aware of Heicoders as well) to not only learn but to also meet more people and more importantly how's the career support like?

I recently quit my job to take a break from work so looking at doing these full-time and hopefully get employed through one of these bootcamps. Thank you for your time!

DataScience

Reaction score
Hello @DataScience, need some advice from you as well.

Mid 30s with no degree, only a private dip wanting to go into tech, what would be my options and where should I set my expectations?

I've been doing some hw and just started self-learning with free online resources (books/courses) and wondering if it's worth doing the bootcamp (Le Wagon or GA, I'm aware of Heicoders as well) to not only learn but to also meet more people and more importantly how's the career support like?

I recently quit my job to take a break from work so looking at doing these full-time and hopefully get employed through one of these bootcamps. Thank you for your time!
I have to be honest, your profile is a bit more challenging, and it will take at least 0.5 years - 1 year to get an entry level role. And, if you are hoping to get your role through any of the bootcamp after program support, you can forget about it.

Most course providers in Singapore do not have a very strong formal relationship with employers. For GA, if you were in the US, this would have been a different story. They have a very solid program in the US/

I understand from my employees whom recently finished their program at Heicoders that the school now provides resume vetting, and career advice on roles to apply on based on your profile. Occasionally instructors refer students in their personal capacity (cause they are practitioners with fulltime roles outside). You might want to call in to verify whether this is true.

Pixel, if you are determined to embark on this path, you have to be prepared for the difficulty. You must be mentally prepared to receive hundreds of rejections. See above in this forum, "nwstbz23", despite his more advantageous background, still took hundreds of applications to land a role. But I wish you all the best, and I am certain that the light at the end of this tunnelw ill be worth it.

funghi

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience and everyone else here, appreciate your valuable advice in this thread.

My background is in accounting and I have a few years of work experience in audit. I'm interested in making a career switch to data analytics and plan to self-study SQL, R/Python and Tableau/Power BI before committing to a more formal course/degree.

From what I understand, those aforementioned skills would be sufficient for a data analyst role (do correct me if I'm wrong), whereas a data scientist role would usually require a masters degree and/or more advanced knowledge of machine learning, mathematics/statistics and so on.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to have a long-term career as a data analyst (mainly involving the skills mentioned above), or do employers expect data analysts to pick up data science knowledge for more senior roles? The reason I am asking this is because I am not very confident in my mathematics/statistics aptitude and I'm concerned if this will limit my career in the future. Would the career I am looking at be closer to business analytics/intelligence instead?

2. Would a master's in (data/business) analytics (as opposed to data science) from the local Big 3 or overseas universities be useful in helping me to transition to data analytics? I understand from my own research that it is not strictly necessary for a data analyst role if you have a decent portfolio and can demonstrate your skills, but I'm not sure if this is the same locally (i.e. whether local employers are satisfied with only courses when there are people with relevant bachelor's degrees). Of course, I understand that another alternative is to apply for internships as mentioned above.

Thanks for reading!

Converged

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what is the difference between master data analyst and data analyst? are they fundamentally the same role?

Last edited:

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience and everyone else here, appreciate your valuable advice in this thread.

My background is in accounting and I have a few years of work experience in audit. I'm interested in making a career switch to data analytics and plan to self-study SQL, R/Python and Tableau/Power BI before committing to a more formal course/degree.

From what I understand, those aforementioned skills would be sufficient for a data analyst role (do correct me if I'm wrong), whereas a data scientist role would usually require a masters degree and/or more advanced knowledge of machine learning, mathematics/statistics and so on.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to have a long-term career as a data analyst (mainly involving the skills mentioned above), or do employers expect data analysts to pick up data science knowledge for more senior roles? The reason I am asking this is because I am not very confident in my mathematics/statistics aptitude and I'm concerned if this will limit my career in the future. Would the career I am looking at be closer to business analytics/intelligence instead?

2. Would a master's in (data/business) analytics (as opposed to data science) from the local Big 3 or overseas universities be useful in helping me to transition to data analytics? I understand from my own research that it is not strictly necessary for a data analyst role if you have a decent portfolio and can demonstrate your skills, but I'm not sure if this is the same locally (i.e. whether local employers are satisfied with only courses when there are people with relevant bachelor's degrees). Of course, I understand that another alternative is to apply for internships as mentioned above.

Thanks for reading!
Yes, SQL, R/Python and Tableau/Power BI are sufficient to function as a data analyst. And data scientist would require a master's, or you need to demonstrate that you have the skills for that (through very relevant work experience or work projects).

1. In any job, you don't ever expect the skills you had at the start to be sufficient throughout. That is especially true for any tech roles today. Even for myself, I find that I have to upgrade every quarter just to make sure I am on top on the latest trends and technologies. I would say stats is more important than math. In fact, the stats you require in the job is really simple stuff you would have mostly learnt in JC, and maybe in the foundational class of university. HOWEVER, your understanding of those statistics should not just be at a theoretical level. it needs to be at a level where you know when they should be applied. So that is the difference between industry and academic statistics. Nope you are looking at the DA role. But if you want to excel, definitely brush up your statistics on the job.

2. I need to be very clear here, there are 2 parts in a career (1) getting a job, and (2) exceling in the job. You don't need the master's to transition to a job given your current profile. But the master's would be useful in helping you excel in the career. I recommend either OMSCS or OMSA.

If you are new to data science, but already have python foundation, then I recommend you take AI200 to hone your intuition of machine learning and how to apply them in an end-to-end project setting. Because just learning about the technologies like Python etc is not enough. Application is always the key.

Good luck.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.