Data Science Courses/Degress/Work

Jxoppa

Reaction score
Go with Datacamp for Python, it is more structured and has guidance steps which will allow you to learn faster.
For stats related courses I will suggest you to have a look at udemy with your national library board account and look for highly rated courses. Plus point is with your nlb account you can access ton of resources for free in udemy
thanks for the advice

DataScience

Reaction score
Any reasons for SUSS over Kaplan? The former takes 3 years while the latter is only 1.5year.

If i just need a degree, would u recommend that shorter route? And supplement it with proven MOOCs and short courses certifications. Not forgetting brushing up on github and kaggle portfolio

How will it affect employability for both routes? For Suss vs other private schools?

SUSS is now a recognised public school versus kaplan. That is why I recommend it over Kaplan. It is true that it is shorter, but it is shorter for a reason. You lose out on the education, and also recognition. I am not saying that Kaplan => won't land a job. You will still be able to gain employment if you have the skills.

DataScience

Reaction score
I chanced upon this thread whilst searching for a degree in data science.

I am 38. have a diploma in computer engineering from TP but graduated in 2004.

I went to work after NS without upgrading. Left the job in 2019 and was care giving from then.

In 2021, used the skillsfuture money to take up the modular masters in data science from SUTD.

fast forward to today, did up my portfolio, redid my linkedin and my resume. applied for entry level jobs but got rejections so far. i also did udacity course in sql and 100 days of python to strengthen my programming logic.

I was considering taking up the degree in business analytics from suss since I do not have a degree.

what would you suggest?
I think you can do the following:

- If you already know python, take Heicoders Ai200
- Take the SUSS degree in business analytics

The reason why I prescribe Ai200 is because this will smoothen your learning curve. Moreover, students have been known to secure jobs upon graduating from AI200, so who knows, if you get lucky you might not even have to get a degree. But nonetheless, i still recommend that you complete the degree for better future prospects.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience , thank you for starting this forum for interested newbie like me to have a more comprehensive view on all available resources

I have bachelor degree in Math and I had taken up Andrew Ng’s machine learning course on Coursera before. Agree with what you said on linear algebra because without background on math I will also find the content a bit overwhelming especially when he explained on neural network, but still I find it amazing to see how math can be put in such usage

With that being said, all my job experience has nothing to do with data analysis at all, except doing some easy pivot table and VlookUp on Excel. I once heard some said Big Data is actually a hype. Basically it is just our collected data increases along with our internet usage, analysis has existed long time ago. Put a “big” in front of data just makes the term fancier so that they could sell more relevant courses

This brings me to one core question, is there really such a high demand for data related field? Big companies have existing data framework and architecture for analysis. So what value can we bring to these companies? Tweaking parameters? Deploy another entirely different AI framework? Sound more like a research work for me, which means really only cater to top notch. For small companies, they would like to have customised solution for their business. But won’t this be easier if they look for Microsoft Azure or AWS or IBM Watson? How should a new entry compete with such giants?

After all, if AI really improves life quality, we won’t really such many headcount right? Isn’t this the whole point? Lesser ppl doing more things. I guess this also somehow explains recent layoff from some big major tech companies, which may be mainly made of data related positions.
One of the thing I found I like recently is automation, like web scraping with BeautifulSoup4 and Selenium. But I am not too sure if it has anything to do with data scientists or data engineering.
Another thing, I couldn’t say I am interested but I found meaning of its existence, is web development, simply designed by Wordpress and its plugin. People looking for quick solution to present their business, portfolio and idea. You piece them together and then a website is made. Then you add on google analytics, SEO, hosting, maintenance and that’s all. It is simple I know. But it is too simple that people won’t bother figuring out how to fix the plugins etc, so just pay a fixed rate to someone who knows how to do this then
Is freelance one of the career stream in data field? I don’t see too much opportunities on Upwork, as compared to Wordpress developer

Along with my writing, I just realised customisation is really quite the key here. Like a chat box, the chat box A uses shall be not much different from B uses. But I bet A definitely doesn’t want to use a web layout same as B. But does the service we provided could achieve such level of customisation? I wonder so

Thanks for anyone who is reading this post. I know it looks like a mess and chaos but indeed. This is what I have been thinking these few days. I am currently 30 and actually I am thinking whether should go ahead with Wordpress freelancer or do data related position. My main concern basically comes from several points below

1. Long term sustainability of the career
2. Turnaround time required
3. Investment required

Happy to have anyone input on this. Thanks!

There is definitely a huge demand for data related job. I can tell you many companies are just starting to scrap the tip of the iceberg where data science is involved. Your value to the companies depends on the company itself and what they hired you for. But companies who know what they are doing will engage you to (1) maintain existing models, you need to tweak parameters to align with new data , and (2) develop new models for other use cases.

Because Data Science is a deep specialization, and it takes a company quite a bit of time to train an employee to get enough domain understanding of the dataset to start contributing, it is for that reason that you don't see much freelance roles around. It just doesn't make sense in terms of effort-versus-reward.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi there! are there any recommended part time courses that one with no experience or learning can take? i have a business diploma and am currently working full time but was thinking to pick up data science and possibly changing careers in the future. was looking at the modulatmaster programme by SUTD! would it be useful?
I recommend that you take some courses by Heicoders to gauge your interest and also smoothen the learnign curve before you commit heavily into MM.

Another alternative you can look at is GA data immersive.

DataScience

Reaction score

mathswhiz

Reaction score
Mathswhiz,

Perhaps you can share a bit more about your profile?

- Bachelors/Masters degree
- Any family commitment

Current Job: Educator, planning to do career switch
Bachelor and Masters in Mathematics (Pure Mathematics though, but took some applied and statistic courses)
As of now, little family commitment. Married but no kids.

Thank you!

DataScience

Reaction score
Given your profile, I feel that it would be wiser to go for OMSCS by Gatech rather than going for AIAP program. The reason is because given you already have the math background, what you really need is sufficient exposure to tech and data science modelling. Gatech would not only help you gain entry into the industry, but it will also position you for career success later on.

As for your question about whether AI200 prepares you for AIAP. It does, but you will also need to take AI300 because AIAP covers deploying machine learning model. Unfortunately I don't think AI300 is out yet.

That said, regardless whether you ultimately choose to go Gatech / AIAP, AI200 would definitely smoothen your learning curve later on. And you can then consult your instructor on what bridging courses would help for Gatech and AIAP.

woo_hooo07

Reaction score

The reason why I prescribe Ai200 is because this will smoothen your learning curve. Moreover, students have been known to secure jobs upon graduating from AI200, so who knows, if you get lucky you might not even have to get a degree. But nonetheless, i still recommend that you complete the degree for better future prospects.
Hi DataScience,

I have applied for the Jan intake for SUSS - Business Analytics.

Was considering UniSIM, JCU and Kaplan - Uni of Portsmouth. Taking into consideration my working hours, family commitments, decided to go with SUSS.

Now just awaiting the panel interview as I applied for SAFRA scholarship. will update again by end Nov.

kurenai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi. Thanks for recommending AI100 n AI200. Have been self learn past 2-3 months then sign up for AI100 n AI 200. Completing AI100 soon n moving on to AI200. Must say the curriculum is very well sourced and applicable for real world problems. Assignment is tough yet challenging. Learning curve is quite gentle too

kurenai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will be considered to have cleared the modules taken in MicroMasters provided you score well enough to be granted advanced standing. Note that there is no official score to guarantee advanced standing and it varies from semester to semester (but the general rule of thumb is above 85).

Since school fees are paid per semester based on number of modules you take, you will not need to pay for the three modules completed in MicroMasters again in OMSA if you are granted advanced standing (since you won't need to re-take them under OMSA).
Hi. Is the micromasters mentioned here the 3 course one by Gatech?

hobboculture

Reaction score
Hi DataScience,

Was considering UniSIM, JCU and Kaplan - Uni of Portsmouth. Taking into consideration my working hours, family commitments, decided to go with SUSS.

Now just awaiting the panel interview as I applied for SAFRA scholarship. will update again by end Nov.

Same here. waiting for the interview.

Did some research on this...seems like need to write essay

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi DataScience,

Good luck with that!

today114

Reaction score
Hi. Is the micromasters mentioned here the 3 course one by Gatech?
Yes, it is by Gatech.

In addition to another query on review, I personally don't think I would have taken them just for MM, if I was not admitted to OMSA. Perhaps because it is an academic course, the content are quite theory-based, and does not have too much on application.

But I still feel the content are important foundational knowledge. You will need to self bridge the gap to application.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.