Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^

no need 390 la, but possibly 120 would be ideal, if really cannot then 95 can still live with bah, can check carouhell, should have some 2nd hand.

passive and active, picking one really depends on what you plan to do, and if have space.

actives are fit and forget.

passives allows for tweaking.

if you go actives, get the ls50w2, newer, should be a safer bet compared to the 1st, also if you use tidal the 2nd version can do tidal connect.

if you go passives, ls50 and v2 supposedly not too diff, esp if you can get a v1 for a good price.

my recommendations are all from reading though. so take it with a tablespoon of salt.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

zzzzzzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using S2000mkII. The sound is confirm better. But I found it too big to use as pc speaker

thanks, really tempted to give the MKIII a go
at $4xx very tempting

might use it either as PC speakers or living room speakers
:(

dragonbryan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all looking for a good pair of speaker for bedroom for music. Remember quite awhile back tried A5+ but found the base a bit weak. Tried ruark MR1 mk2, really love the sound but similarly the base also really weak. I'm not looking for boomy bass however there are some songs sounded quite bad with weak bass. Any recommendation what other speaker can I look for? Below 1k

wwenze

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Audioengine A5+ (Note: Not the passive version) bass is quite average for bookshelf already... if you need more bass the straightforward way is get bigger speakers.

Do consider using EQ.

petetherock

Reaction score
Hegel H390... wow, it is going to break the bank.

i think i should reconsider if i should go for kef ls50 passive. i was keen on ls50w, but for active speakers i am not sure how long it would last. used couples of active speakers from other brands that lasted only few years.
The H390 is a very special amp
I’m currently driving the Dynaudio Heritage Special with it
Very nice indeed 👍

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
what's the diff ah ls x , ls 50 and ls 50 w II ?

lsx (small actives)

ls50 (passives)

ls50wII (actives bigger)

YouHeypiCanLiao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@zephyr11

oh so the lsx is the smaller and ls50wII are the bigger ones.

Also i read some reviews saying using sonos five x 2 might be better than ls50wII.
Definitely the software would be better at least.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.