Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

petetherock

Reaction score
I am using Ruack Audio MR1 Mk2 on IsoACOUSTICS stand raised to my ear level.
Source is PC to DAC (SMSL M200/ Douk Audio P1) to the MR1.
Pretty good clarity, imaging and vocals.

Am looking to replace the active speakers with Passive Speaker and Amp.
(For more "playability" with tube/SS in the future)

Anyone has any recommendations for good passive speakers for Desktop (Nearfield).

Budget approximately $1K++
I’m using the ls50.
You can get good second hand examples for that money
Drive them well and they will sing

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Drive well means the amp must be very high powered and expensive. Tube amps may not be suitable?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on whether you think the "wellness" of an amplifier is related to the technical specs or not.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Drive well means the amp must be very high powered and expensive. Tube amps may not be suitable?

high powered likely, expensive depends what is considered expensive, to me thousands is acceptable, to some thousands is spare change.

tube also have decent higher powered.

Anyone has any recommendations for good passive speakers for Desktop (Nearfield).

1k++ is for speakers? your current speakers are powered, so if you want to use with the stuff you mentioned, need at least an integrated amp + passive speakers.

endriago

Reaction score

how is the ruark mr1 mk2? it looks really nice but does the quality justify the price?

endriago

Reaction score
i've seen some of those but sometimes first hand experience over years might be very enlightening.... ;)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what's the easiest way to wifi an existing hifi?

bluetooth? EOL chromecast audio?

Bluetooth is bluetooth, wifi is wifi

BT means you use the device the same as you would use a wired device. Like BT mouse, BT keyboard. BT sound device means it behaves like a soundcard.

Wifi is streaming / casting. Means you tell the speaker to do something and then it goes to the internet to find the data it needs. Like you tell it to run the spotify client that is installed in the speaker itself.

petetherock

Reaction score

BT means you use the device the same as you would use a wired device. Like BT mouse, BT keyboard. BT sound device means it behaves like a soundcard.

Wifi is streaming / casting. Means you tell the speaker to do something and then it goes to the internet to find the data it needs. Like you tell it to run the spotify client that is installed in the speaker itself.

Give chance la
It is likely that his English is not up to standard..
I suspect he meant adding wireless music playback .. :)

Reaction score

Give chance la
It is likely that his English is not up to standard..
I suspect he meant adding wireless music playback .. :)

Yeah... my english G10.

Difficult to find EOL chromecast.. objective is just to stream from spotify. Any suggestions? Thanks

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yup I was using "Chromecast Audio" with denon m40 mini hifi connected by optical cable.

endriago

Reaction score
so i was initially happy with my edifier order but cancelled it after seeing the whole 11.11 ps5 thing(felt it was worth waiting till the 11th for that chance at a ps5). And after getting exposed to the Aego 3 and the Ruark M1, I decided to take the day off and try them all out.

Started at challenger tired Promedia 2.1. It was pretty nice. A step up from my current 4 year old creative sound bar(i have been using DT990pro and my x3 for most of my audio in the last year). But i noticed there was a bit of muddiness to the sound and the bass was just too strong even at the minimum.

Tried the Ruark M1 next. I loved them. OMG the sound was so clear and distinctive. I did notice the lack of punch from the bass but i didn't mind it too much. it's on sale at challenger for $666 atm. huge bonus points for the design. i can not state enough how much i love the design.

Walked down to Audio Basic. Tried the Aego 3 sub/sat. tbh I had the lowest expectations for this.My first impression was no way this can sound good. And after seeing the the M1 i really didn't the all metal Aego3. Until it started playing music. I listened to a few songs, left very confused and came back and listened to some more(was worried about hissing/ a few songs sounded a bit off the first time I listened to them) . I was blown away. I didn't notice any hissing.Its also much cheaper at 450. Unfortunately I didn't get it cause they only had the Soundbar. Might drop by bukit timah plaza this weekend to see if they have it. I might also skin it with like some 3m vinyl that I have left over from a furniture project.

Thanks for all the input guys

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.