Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

Reaction score

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
One strange thing i noticed was audio stuttering on the SMSL DAC whenever i did something on my PC like opening new tabs, launching applications etc.

Initially i thought it was DPC latency.

After some investigation i suspected my usb port voltage was fluctuating whenever i did something with my pc which required more processing power.

I found an old 5v usb charger, plugged it into the aux power input of the SMSL DAC and the stuttering was gone. Suspicions confirmed.
:(

always use a separate power source if possible, can get those hp charger plugs to power the usb plug on a separate plug. good job on checking! :s12:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Aego3 sub-sat system with a subwoofer and 2 palm-size satellite speakers as below

Is it possible to upgrade the above 2.1 channel computer desktop system to include a centre speaker ie become 3.1?

I was checking at SL Tower a while ago for desktop speaker size system (like above) with centre speaker. The shop guy said can upgrade by wiring the 2 satellite speakers in parallel but I was wondering how sound separation will take place between the 2 satellite speakers.

Anyone can shed some light?

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Aego3 sub-sat system with a subwoofer and 2 palm-size satellite speakers as below

Is it possible to upgrade the above 2.1 channel computer desktop system to include a centre speaker ie become 3.1?

I was checking at SL Tower a while ago for desktop speaker size system (like above) with centre speaker. The shop guy said can upgrade by wiring the 2 satellite speakers in parallel but I was wondering how sound separation will take place between the 2 satellite speakers.

Anyone can shed some light?

I won't recommend such advice, it will affect stereo separation as
well as sound stage.
If you are using desktop, you can try adding Creative sound card.

There is feature called virtual surround

50647074513_acf742902a_c.jpg

This feature basically emulate a virtual 5.1 environment creating
wider sound.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I won't recommend such advice, it will affect stereo separation as
well as sound stage.
If you are using desktop, you can try adding Creative sound card.

There is feature called virtual surround

50647074513_acf742902a_c.jpg

This feature basically emulate a virtual 5.1 environment creating
wider sound.

I'm using laptop. Now I'm ambitious. I'm now thinking of upgrading to a 5.1.2 channel system

Since I only have RCA L/R outs from subwoofer to speakers if I do the following will it work?

From the subwoofer RCA L output I custom make a 1-to-3 RCA outs cable. Similarly for the subwoofer RCA R output as well

The so-call centre speaker will have a main speaker plus two (2) speakers in one combo instead of purely a main speaker. I saw two(2) different types of centre speakers at SL Tower today. One type is purely just a main speaker and the other type is a main speaker plus two(2) tiny speakers in a combo.

From subwoofer RCA L port
- One(1) line to existing left Aego3 speaker as my FL
- One(1) line to my rear speaker as my RL
- One(1) line to the centre speaker L port

From subwoofer RCA R port
- One(1) line to existing right Aego3 speaker as my FR
- One(1) line to my rear speaker as my RR
- One(1) line to the centre speaker R port

I wonder the subwoofer has enough power to power all the speakers? If the subwoofer has insufficient power I'm thinking of getting active-powered speakers for the rear

All the speakers will be tiny size so they don't consume large amount of power.

I'm not seeing any sound separation here. Do you think my 5.1.2 set up will work?

Thanks

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using laptop. Now I'm ambitious. I'm now thinking of upgrading to a 5.1.2 channel system

Since I only have RCA L/R outs from subwoofer to speakers if I do the following will it work?

From the subwoofer RCA L output I custom make a 1-to-3 RCA outs cable. Similarly for the subwoofer RCA R output as well

The so-call centre speaker will have a main speaker plus two (2) speakers in one combo instead of purely a main speaker. I saw two(2) different types of centre speakers at SL Tower today. One type is purely just a main speaker and the other type is a main speaker plus two(2) tiny speakers in a combo.

From subwoofer RCA L port
- One(1) line to existing left Aego3 speaker as my FL
- One(1) line to my rear speaker as my RL
- One(1) line to the centre speaker L port

From subwoofer RCA R port
- One(1) line to existing right Aego3 speaker as my FR
- One(1) line to my rear speaker as my RR
- One(1) line to the centre speaker R port

I wonder the subwoofer has enough power to power all the speakers? If the subwoofer has insufficient power I'm thinking of getting active-powered speakers for the rear

All the speakers will be tiny size so they don't consume large amount of power.

I'm not seeing any sound separation here. Do you think my 5.1.2 set up will work?

Thanks

Won't work as the speaker out mainly is to drive the speaker included.
Not to mention it is using RCA out but not slip clip which mean
it is basically line out with pre-amp.

If you want to test 5.1 on laptop, you can consider

Sound blaster Omni Surround 5.1

creative-sb-omni.jpg

https://sg.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

Than pair with your Aego M enable virtual surround.

Option 2 will be buy a PC 5.1 speaker but no one these days buy such speaker.
Primary reason is most PC sounds are in stereo, games, youtube.

Only in movies or contents with 5.1 surround than the 5.1 speaker can be utilized. As well as messy cables since so many speakers.

Cheapest will be Logitech Z607 5.1 speaker around $18X.

z607-merida-pdp.jpg

z607-merida-pdp.jpg

You can buy one of this and play around, this speaker have 5.1 upmix meaning even in stereo it will still play in 5.1.
I have played with this speaker before, not really impress with the sound quality.

Than of cuz the Logitech Z906

z906-gallery.png

This one have 5.1 decode and upmix from stereo.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Won't work as the speaker out mainly is to drive the speaker included.
Not to mention it is using RCA out but not slip clip which mean
it is basically line out with pre-amp.

If you want to test 5.1 on laptop, you can consider

Sound blaster Omni Surround 5.1

creative-sb-omni.jpg

https://sg.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

Than pair with your Aego M enable virtual surround.

Option 2 will be buy a PC 5.1 speaker but no one these days buy such speaker.
Primary reason is most PC sounds are in stereo, games, youtube.

Only in movies or contents with 5.1 surround than the 5.1 speaker can be utilized. As well as messy cables since so many speakers.

Cheapest will be Logitech Z607 5.1 speaker around $18X.

z607-merida-pdp.jpg

z607-merida-pdp.jpg

You can buy one of this and play around, this speaker have 5.1 upmix meaning even in stereo it will still play in 5.1.
I have played with this speaker before, not really impress with the sound quality.

Than of cuz the Logitech Z906

z906-gallery.png

This one have 5.1 decode and upmix from stereo.

Mine is NOT the Aego M but the Aego3 Sub-Sat system

So, the Z906 5.1 should be better than the Z607 5.1, right?

Z906 = $629
Z607 = $189

https://www.logitech.com/en-sg/speakers-audio

There's an issue with the Z906 as per review below

All the audio inputs are on the back of the subwoofer, but unlike most home cinema systems, there aren't any HDMI inputs or outputs. As such, unless your Blu-ray player has built-in decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio plus 5.1 analogue outputs (hardly any players do), you won't be able to access these lossless audio formats. Instead, the only option is to connect a Blu-ray player via S/P-DIF, which limits playback to Dolby Digital and DTS formats as used on DVDs. These formats are included on Blu-ray discs too, but they use lossy compression, so Blu-rays won't sound as good as they could.

Unquote

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-speakers/51028/logitech-z906-review

The Onkyo HTX-22HDX looks not bad with HDMI 3xinputs/1x HDMI output and supporting the surround formats

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/onkyo/51023/onkyo-htx-22hdx-review

Found instead
1) ONKYO SKS-HT588 5.1.2-Channel Home Cinema Speaker System ($599)
2) ONKYO SKS-HT588B SPEAKER SYSTEM ($998)
3) Yamaha NS-P 285 5.1 Speaker System ($533)
4) YAMAHA HOME THEATRE SYSTEMS NSP20 BL 5.1CH SATELLITE SPEAKER ($592)

https://www.lazada.sg/products/onky...ema-speaker-system-i272498513-s423220739.html

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine is NOT the Aego M but the Aego3 Sub-Sat system

So, the Z906 5.1 should be better than the Z607 5.1, right?

Z906 = $629
Z607 = $189

https://www.logitech.com/en-sg/speakers-audio

There's an issue with the Z906 as per review below

All the audio inputs are on the back of the subwoofer, but unlike most home cinema systems, there aren't any HDMI inputs or outputs. As such, unless your Blu-ray player has built-in decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio plus 5.1 analogue outputs (hardly any players do), you won't be able to access these lossless audio formats. Instead, the only option is to connect a Blu-ray player via S/P-DIF, which limits playback to Dolby Digital and DTS formats as used on DVDs. These formats are included on Blu-ray discs too, but they use lossy compression, so Blu-rays won't sound as good as they could.

Unquote

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-speakers/51028/logitech-z906-review

The Onkyo HTX-22HDX looks not bad with HDMI 3xinputs/1x HDMI output and supporting the surround formats

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/onkyo/51023/onkyo-htx-22hdx-review

Found instead
1) ONKYO SKS-HT588 5.1.2-Channel Home Cinema Speaker System ($599)
2) ONKYO SKS-HT588B SPEAKER SYSTEM ($998)
3) Yamaha NS-P 285 5.1 Speaker System ($533)
4) YAMAHA HOME THEATRE SYSTEMS NSP20 BL 5.1CH SATELLITE SPEAKER ($592)

https://www.lazada.sg/products/onky...ema-speaker-system-i272498513-s423220739.html

Logitech Z906 is better but this is a PC 5.1 speaker system.
If you want cheap 5.1 speaker going below $600 with receiver.
Pioneer HTP-076

maxresdefault.jpg

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/home_theater_system/htp-076/

Those speaker system you shared still need a AVR to drive them,
PC soundcard won't be able to drive them.
Those speaker I have tested before, not really good if you ask me.

The HTP package can be found at Best Denki (IMM only), Audio house, Courts (Megastore Tampiness only).

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Logitech Z906 is better but this is a PC 5.1 speaker system.
If you want cheap 5.1 speaker going below $600 with receiver.
Pioneer HTP-076

maxresdefault.jpg

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/home_theater_system/htp-076/

Those speaker system you shared still need a AVR to drive them,
PC soundcard won't be able to drive them.
Those speaker I have tested before, not really good if you ask me.

The HTP package can be found at Best Denki (IMM only), Audio house, Courts (Megastore Tampiness only).

Thanks. The 5 speakers (except subwoofer) for the Pioneer HTP-076 are of low profile. I'll take a look at it later

Got something similar and better to recommend? Come with HDMI eARC and support for high-res audio is preferable. My budget should be about $1500. I think make from the below should be ok unless you have a differnt opinion

1) Pioneer
2) Onkyo
3) Sony
4) Yamaha
5) Samsung
6) LG

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The 5 speakers (except subwoofer) for the Pioneer HTP-076 are of low profile. I'll take a look at it later

Got something similar and better to recommend? Come with HDMI eARC and support for high-res audio is preferable. My budget should be about $1500. I think make from the below should be ok unless you have a differnt opinion

1) Pioneer
2) Onkyo
3) Sony
4) Yamaha
5) Samsung
6) LG

For me I have settle down with Pioneer AVR with Pioneer Andrew jones
speakers which have been serving me well.
So I haven't been to Adelphi or any of the audio showroom for so long.

eARC adoption is quite limited think just focus on ARC will do.
You can look around, another combo you can consider with better
SQ is either Pioneer AVR or Denon AVR with Wharfdale DX-1/2 speaker package.

51ZqUJDqPpL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

This speaker are small in size which should suit your needs.
If not I am not wrong this speaker can be brought at Adelphi also.
Think I saw one package at Best Denki Pioneer AVR with Wharfdale DX-1
selling around $1.5k or so.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

For me I have settle down with Pioneer AVR with Pioneer Andrew jones
speakers which have been serving me well.
So I haven't been to Adelphi or any of the audio showroom for so long.

eARC adoption is quite limited think just focus on ARC will do.
You can look around, another combo you can consider with better
SQ is either Pioneer AVR or Denon AVR with Wharfdale DX-1/2 speaker package.

51ZqUJDqPpL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

This speaker are small in size which should suit your needs.
If not I am not wrong this speaker can be brought at Adelphi also.
Think I saw one package at Best Denki Pioneer AVR with Wharfdale DX-1
selling around $1.5k or so.

Thanks. I believe HDMI 2.1 with eARC and other features are already in some AVRs like YAMAHA, PANASONIC, DENON and MARANTZ. I'll check around more before deciding. Upcoming should see these in SONY, PIONNER and ONKYO

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/660236-best-a-v-receivers-hdmi-2-1-8k-support

Oooooooops...............seems they were hit by the HDMI 2.1 bug and unlikely to be solved through a firmware update.

https://allhomecinema.com/problems-with-hdmi-2-1-for-denon-marantz-and-yamaha-receivers/

https://www.avforums.com/news/denon-marantz-and-yamaha-av-receivers-hit-by-hdmi-2-1-bug.18125

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/jikszs/please_stop_posting_about_the_hdmi_21_bug/

Last edited:

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you don't play or have 4k 120fps games you don't need hdmi 2.1...

Sent from X3 using GAGT

zzzzzzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got, but it depends if your setup is good enough to tell the difference.

your setup is as good as your weakest link in the chain, be it cables, power, dac, amplifier, speakers.

maybe if you really want to upgrade, can share your setup and see what to upgrade instead?

definitely gotta upgrade the speakers
using edifier r1280db
they sound good for what they cost
but regret never top up abit for a higher price range pair of speakers

zzzzzzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway, buyed a pair of cheap foams to prop my speakers up on
angled it slightly towards my ears as well
i swore i could hear the difference

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
anyway, buyed a pair of cheap foams to prop my speakers up on
angled it slightly towards my ears as well
i swore i could hear the difference

It does make a difference when you move speakers to ear level. You can see (image below) in the review of (almost) the same pair of speakers, the r1280t, the vertical dispersion of sound is typically way poorer (parts of the frequencies sound way softer) than the horizontal dispersion (frequencies have more consistent amplitude). In other words, the change in audio quality is way more drastic when you move away vertically (go higher or lower) than horizontally.

Fu9mABH.png

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/edifier-r1280t-powered-speaker-review.16112/

zzzzzzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It does make a difference when you move speakers to ear level. You can see (image below) in the review of (almost) the same pair of speakers, the r1280t, the vertical dispersion of sound is typically way poorer (parts of the frequencies sound way softer) than the horizontal dispersion (frequencies have more consistent amplitude). In other words, the change in audio quality is way more drastic when you move away vertically (go higher or lower) than horizontally.

very chim, but thanks for sharing

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes sound different when listening at close range at not too high volumes

Don't worry, the graph is not hard to understand. Depending on where you (and your ears) are, the speakers are going to sound different. Imagine the drastic case where you walk behind the speaker. You will still hear music, but the high frequencies won't be as clear as when you're in front of the speakers. Or in other words, the audio sounds muffled. But the boom boom will still be there even when you're behind.

Because the higher frequencies lose energy very quickly over short distances. This is something you probably experienced before (hearing speakers at an angle from a distance).

4uqZ0k9.png

So for example in the image, as you move higher (speakers point at chest or stomach), the 2khz - 4khz frequencies (red curly section) becomes bluish, means sound softer. Or in the pink example where your ears are even further away, the bluish/softer region increases to 2khz - 6khz. So as more of the higher frequencies becomes softer / have less energy, the audio becomes more muffled.

In comparison, when the tweeter and midrange are combined and not stacked on top of each other, for example the KEF LS50, the vertical changes are not as drastic.
CGuZJvY.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.