Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

SKinny86

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if klipsch promedia have discontinued? Seems like it's out of stock everywhere. Even lazada doesn't list it anymore. :(

Anyone can suggest an alternative to promedia (non bookshelf) speakers?

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a budget of $150 to $250 for a desktop 2.0 speaker setup (not 2.1). in hwc, the most recommended wld be the edifier ones ( r1280db r1850). naturally i would select either of those but however my main gripe wld be the large footprint of the speakers, so i chanced upon the creative gigaworks t60 t100. would like to know if the creative models are a good alternative or there are others within my budget?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No space and budget of <$150 --> T20 or T40
These are also the smallest speakers until you increase your budget to Bose and eventually iLoud

Note that Creative speakers have an auto-standby which cannot be turned off.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$150- $250

Nothing at that price range that is as small.

Mackie CR3-X ($170) is 14cm wide
R1280DB is 146mm wide
Eris E3.5 ($200) is 141mm wide

T60 is 92mm wide
iLoud Micro Monitor is 90mm wide
Bose Companion 2 is 80mm wide. I guess Bose Companion 2 counts as falling under that price range...

So if you don't have 14cm then you are stuck with either T20 / T40 or Bose Companion 2 for that price range. Which one is better for you is a choice of whether you prefer more correct bass extension/quantity and overall sound (Companion 2) or if you want a tweeter (T20/T40) to avoid cone breakup that is the downside of full-range woofers.

T60 / T100 is like combining only the bad parts of T20/T40 and Companion2 and trying to sell you at the same price.

7JNvskC.png

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with the t60/100 in your opinion? not savvy on audio stuff.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score

If I'm not wrong, wwenze is saying bose companion 2 should be the best speaker for your budget and size requirements. U should probably compare or listen to the bose and the creative to be sure before u buy.

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I'm not wrong, wwenze is saying bose companion 2 should be the best speaker for your budget and size requirements. U should probably compare or listen to the bose and the creative to be sure before u buy.
i see. i tried to search for bose companion 2 on shopee and lazada but doesnt seem to be listed locally. any other sources?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They removed the tweeter. Cheaper speakers tend to not have tweeters, while we don't usually see tweeters until at least the $150 price point.

Without a tweeter, the woofer needs to play the full frequency range and this usually results in cone breakup.

With smoothed frequency response measurements it still looks ok: Note the Bose Companion 2

sjWYcub.png

However once we go high resolution we can see the strong effect of cone breakup. The woofer resonates and causes that ugly frequency response.

0UYP37L.png

Bose Companion 2 you may have to search physical stores for it now.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there also good usb dac for desktop systems?

Depends on your budget.

If you're getting a <$100 DAC if you need the functionality or if your PC is noisy, then it's all good

If you're getting a >$100 DAC just because you heard people say it makes the sound nicer, please concentrate your budget and get just the speaker and use it with onboard sound. I can guarantee that buying just a $399 iLoud speaker alone will sound way better than buying a T40 with a $200 DAC.

One more thing worth noting is that with majority of active speakers now employing DSP for improved sound quality, even if you buy a good DAC, the analog signal will be converted back to digital inside the speaker.

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on your budget.

If you're getting a <$100 DAC if you need the functionality or if your PC is noisy, then it's all good

If you're getting a >$100 DAC just because you heard people say it makes the sound nicer, please concentrate your budget and get just the speaker and use it with onboard sound. I can guarantee that buying just a $399 iLoud speaker alone will sound way better than buying a T40 with a $200 DAC.

One more thing worth noting is that with majority of active speakers now employing DSP for improved sound quality, even if you buy a good DAC, the analog signal will be converted back to digital inside the speaker.
i see. likely my final selection shld be t40 or the bose companion...so i take it that no point spending additional on a DAC? just stick to onboard sound?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's up to your ultimate plan. Some people buy DAC because they need to use headphone or upgrade to better speakers later.

But if T40 is your final plan then I'd say either skip the DAC or just jump up to iLoud and still skip the DAC.

Hydrogenes

Reaction score
Hi guys, where can get edifier s2000mkiii at 400+? Only shop I can find that sells it at sis is at 599 but that’s kinda exp. thank you!

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe cos satellites are not 2 way. No midrange. Midrange duty is taken on by the subwoofer. Not sure if competitors are any better at this price.

KiraSG

Reaction score
Is the s2000mkiii a good speaker? And if it ok to place in next to my monitor

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if klipsch promedia have discontinued? Seems like it's out of stock everywhere. Even lazada doesn't list it anymore. :(

Anyone can suggest an alternative to promedia (non bookshelf) speakers?

Yes, when I asked about testing a unit on display a few months ago at a courts or Harvey Norman store, the salesman told me they're not selling it anymore and Klipsch will be taking back the demo unit sometime soon.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.