Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

Evilchaosz

Reaction score
Old version or new version? Old version is known for dead capacitors so it can be a cheap fix if you have the lobang. But there are other failmodes so even if it is fixed now it will last maybe another 3 years.

LSX is nice.
It's the old version, like bought in 2011(!)

Do you have any lobangs to recommend, or even do fixes yourself? Saw your thread on fixing the m50w here.

I'm concerned about value. I'm not sure if there's anything that provides better value than LSX at that price point or even lower. Any 2.0/2.1 to recommend that doesnt take up a lot of desk space? Got a dual monitor setup here so huge bookshelves won't fit on my table.

harocarlos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Shifus, I've been using logitech z623 for many years and also experienced the hissing sound even when its just left powered on.

Any better recommendations for upgrade within a budget of $500? I use the speakers mainly for my iMac. Its mainly for movies and music.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^

i've not used them before but edifier has a decent following, seem to fit your bill.

harocarlos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've went ahead with Edifier S350DB to replace my old Logitech Z623. They are amazing! Sounds are more crisp and clear. Makes me want to listen to great music all the time.

pananoia

Reaction score
Hi I planning to get either R1850dbs or R2000db.
May I know the best way to connect to my com?
Optical or rca to 3.5mm?

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far haven't had any noise with my Edifiers...

If you lose the remote you still can control volume, treble/bass and source switching. But you lose the ability to change EQ setting. And the default setting after power up has a bit more treble and bass compared to normal.

Bass, better than average for the price. And what also helps is that they tend not to have overly-loud treble.

Luckily, no auto standby except for T5.

Well, above is my general experience after reviewing 4 or 5 Edifiers. I don't have experience with the S880DB. But it's $277 now on Lazada so why not. It seems to perform pretty decently for a small speaker. Not as good bass quantity as R1850DB but that's reasonable due to smaller size and rear port.

The metal tweeter seems to roll off too early tho, I saw the same issue with S350DB which has the same tweeter.

First glance the R1850DB seems to have the performance advantage but you're paying more money into S880DB since it is more technologically advanced: Smaller size, with USB input and better bluetooth (aptx)

At present and within $500, is it better to get S350DB or a seperate 2.0 with a subwoofer? :o

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
At present and within $500, is it better to get S350DB or a seperate 2.0 with a subwoofer? :o

As Wwenze's measurements show, the S350DB, like most of the desktop systems in the $400-ish range, have pretty limited bass performance below 40Hz.

Personally, I would only recommend getting a separate 2.0 with a subwoofer, if

1) you are very sure that the 2.0 speakers sound much better (or maybe can go louder without distorting) than integrated 2.1s (like the S350db) in your environment, or

2) you are very sure that you want more bass extension 40Hz and below. Which is not just for movies and bassheads, because music can also have a lot of good quality bass that cheaper subs cannot reproduce. Or,

3) you are very sure that the chosen brand of speakers will help you score some chicks. Or something. Or,

4) you want to assemble a relatively affordable speaker set with used speakers.

5) And that you will probably need to go beyond $500.
Unless you're going for used ones, new speakers / subwoofer that perform better than 2.1s tend not to be cheaper than 500 (collectively). Especially the better subwoofers. And you might need to budget for an amplifier if you choose passive 2.0 speakers.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw this video comparing between Edifier S350DB versus Promedia 2.1
I had promedia and I like it more than my bose companion and from the video, it seems like promedia still sound better with richer details, sounds much more crisp. Even the shooting game, the sound of the machine gun is so different.
Not sure if it's a setting issue but i definitely like the promedia more. :o

But I read that the promedia can die quite easily, so are there other recommendations? :o

Last edited:

_nivla

Master Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a of budget $150-200 bookshelf speakers 2.0, with the option to add on subwoofer in future?

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any comments on Audioengine HD6? Prefer this than A5+ due to bluetooth, I want to have the flexibility of streaming something via my mobile device instead of just PC.

Thinking of getting that and pairing with S8 subwoofer.

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My swans m50w started to crackle so I started to look out for a replacement. Kef LSX looks very tempting to me right now but any advice against it? Or should I get the m50w repaired?
Depends on your use really, but LSX and m50w are not in the same price category so not very fair to put them side by side.

-Sora-

Reaction score
Any comments on Audioengine HD6? Prefer this than A5+ due to bluetooth, I want to have the flexibility of streaming something via my mobile device instead of just PC.

Thinking of getting that and pairing with S8 subwoofer.
Never tried HD6, but at that price point I'd recommend you try Triangle Elara LN01A, way better than A5+ to me.

I dont find Subwoofer pairing that important, I think save some money and buy Mission/Wharfedale sub also about the same, audioengine stuff a bit overpriced

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UKcKzrc.png

triangleelaraln01afq3--1-.jpg

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-home-cinema/triangle-elara-ln01a-p36191/test.html

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never tried HD6, but at that price point I'd recommend you try Triangle Elara LN01A, way better than A5+ to me.

I dont find Subwoofer pairing that important, I think save some money and buy Mission/Wharfedale sub also about the same, audioengine stuff a bit overpriced
Thanks Sora bro, gonna KIV these and read more reviews tonight.

summersky1986

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a 2.1 under <1.5k?

Just exploring my options, getting 2.0 and a sub feels a little troublesome

derpboy

Reaction score
Hi can anyone recommend a desktop 2.0/2.1 speaker within the $150 range.
I know people used to recommend the R1280 but it seems the price has increased to $150 from $120ish a few months back so not sure if it's still worth it

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.