Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

Attila

Reaction score
Actually is it confirmed that Xtra ones are MADE in China? Cause I see a couple of claims in the previous pages that the Aerons were MADE in China and "confirmed" by Xtra personnel. But looking at Xtra's website, they mentioned the chairs were only ASSEMBLED in China because the assembly line US are affected by the lock down. ASSEMBLED in China and MADE in China are are completely different thing, as the prior can mean that the parts are still made in USA.

you are right, xtra is assembled in china, most likely the parts is made in USA.
assemble in china include QC which is quite important for longevity of the chair.

personal opinion, i still prefer made and assembled in USA even without warranty and save $500

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a silent envious reader of this thread.
Full of envy of so many of you splashing our the cash to get HM Aeron.
1.7 - 2.2k really no joke man.

I am planning to get a chair but if I can save some money, it will be great.

Any comparison reviews on the following chairs? Is HM Aeron really worth paying 1k more?

Steelcase
HM
Secret lab - I know about the peeling

Any other comparative reviews for us to consider?

Many thanks!
You should go through the thread. Got a lot of alternatives recommended here including Haworth, Steelcase, etc.

acer23

Reaction score
you are right, xtra is assembled in china, most likely the parts is made in USA.
assemble in china include QC which is quite important for longevity of the chair.

personal opinion, i still prefer made and assembled in USA even without warranty and save $500

I think made in USA one, also got parts made in China. hahaha. This is globalization!!!

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Steelcase also very good.. do they have chairs made for kids?

They have classroom chairs for kids but I don’t know of any office chair. Even hm Aeron size A isn’t really for kids, but meant for smaller sized folks. Just that a lot of people buy them for kids.

Yup Steelcase leap is pretty good, but not the think series. I had steel case think chairs before I bought my Aeron, they are flimsy and not very comfortable. Now I’m using hm Aeron for chair + steel case bivi table. Their table looks really cool

acer23

Reaction score
They have classroom chairs for kids but I don’t know of any office chair. Even hm Aeron size A isn’t really for kids, but meant for smaller sized folks. Just that a lot of people buy them for kids.

Yup Steelcase leap is pretty good, but not the think series. I had steel case think chairs before I bought my Aeron, they are flimsy and not very comfortable. Now I’m using hm Aeron for chair + steel case bivi table. Their table looks really cool

The main problem buying chair for the kids is that they will grow up....

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its always better to try it yourself. just like buying mattress. all the reviews means nothing if your body tells u otherwise.
or like tv, u can't see the difference den no point buying the expensive ones.

or can also consider
HAG Capisco
maxresdefault.jpg

29f64dff4d24994162b5fe1fcec66f31.jpg

HAG_Capisco_2.jpg

Last edited:

acer23

Reaction score
its always better to try it yourself. just like buying mattress. all the reviews means nothing if your body tells u otherwise.

or can also consider
HAG Capisco
maxresdefault.jpg

HAG_Capisco_2.jpg

This is like freestyle seat....

acer23

Reaction score

or can also consider
HAG Capisco
maxresdefault.jpg

HAG_Capisco_2.jpg

Where to buy?? looks very cool leh

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get a chair but if I can save some money, it will be great.

Any comparison reviews on the following chairs? Is HM Aeron really worth paying 1k more?

Steelcase
HM
Secret lab - I know about the peeling

Buy used to save money. Buy new if you don't like to meddle with used goods.

pacificstorm

Reaction score
The warranty itself I feel is way more than $500. Considering a replacement of pneumatic cylinder for my 2006 Aeron Classic from Xtra (Assembled in Korea) is already $203.30 (Parts) + $214.00 (Labour & Transport) if without warranty. The Aeron Classics were prone to worn out and wobbly cylinders previously, and buyers from authorised distributors were given replacements under warranty, though I'm not too sure for other importers. The remastered ones are only a couple years old, so perhaps common issues haven't been brought up in online forums. If any batch wide issues are brought up in the future, I honestly don't think any shopee of lazada sellers are gonna go out and do replacements for every chair they sold. If I were them, I'd simply wind up the shopee/lazada shop and open a new one under a new name to save the hassle. I'd like to see it as the difference between buying PI cars and from local agents, where defects/recalls are always hassle free from agents, but usually discretionary under PI.

I think its back to the same point, for AD vs PI to stand, it has to be made from the same place. A BMW 5 series is made in Germany PI or AD.

It doesn't seem the case for Aeron AD (Xtra), just do a google on Herman Miller china production plant. "
Herman Miller’s one-stop hub of manufacturing operations in Dongguan, China" - reading the article seems to show everything is made in PRC.

Well it just doesn't feel shiok when you know you pay for something at a luxury price for something made in PRC...?

acer23

Reaction score
I think its back to the same point, for AD vs PI to stand, it has to be made from the same place. A BMW 5 series is made in Germany PI or AD.

It doesn't seem the case for Aeron AD (Xtra), just do a google on Herman Miller china production plant. "
Herman Miller’s one-stop hub of manufacturing operations in Dongguan, China" - reading the article seems to show everything is made in PRC.

Well it just doesn't feel shiok when you know you pay for something at a luxury price for something made in PRC...?

There is no right or wrong, buy whichever suits you best. However, I will buy the cheapest one....hahaha

Attila

Reaction score
The warranty itself I feel is way more than $500. Considering a replacement of pneumatic cylinder for my 2006 Aeron Classic from Xtra (Assembled in Korea) is already $203.30 (Parts) + $214.00 (Labour & Transport) if without warranty. The Aeron Classics were prone to worn out and wobbly cylinders previously, and buyers from authorised distributors were given replacements under warranty, though I'm not too sure for other importers. The remastered ones are only a couple years old, so perhaps common issues haven't been brought up in online forums. If any batch wide issues are brought up in the future, I honestly don't think any shopee of lazada sellers are gonna go out and do replacements for every chair they sold. If I were them, I'd simply wind up the shopee/lazada shop and open a new one under a new name to save the hassle. I'd like to see it as the difference between buying PI cars and from local agents, where defects/recalls are always hassle free from agents, but usually discretionary under PI.

xtra still charge labour and transport as well. only 1st yr warranty they cover it.
my uncle classic aeron has been using for 15yrs and only i help him replace gas cylinder that cost $120 including shipping (pls buy only high quality gas cylinder for replacement)
even if PI doesn't come with warranty i will still buy, replacement parts for aeron is easily available and HM app even guide you how to DIY replace almost everything

Outramkia

Master Member
Reaction score

Your last paragraph is not accurate. Many apple iphone owners are proud of their china made phone.

dEv_

Reaction score
Did you add on the head rest ? I also exited to go test out next week for this chair. Sit on my lousy chair until here pain there pain.

hi there, just dropped them an email to test out the fern chair. Not sure if they are available for appointment next week.

found this ru youtube review might be useful for interested.

hardwaregone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe he mentioned he is working in London now, staying there permanently or not, i dunnoe coz he nvr say.

If you been following UI from start when he organised his Nespresso mass order, he was never permanently located in SG but he subcontract to some companies to do the leg work. I replaced my HM casters within 3 days a few years ago, also repaired my Nespresso espresso machines trice. :o

He definitely outlast many HM sellers.
Example: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mass-order-corner-251/mo-herman-miller-aeron-chairs-4042326.html

Last year Lazada there were at least 3 sellers iirc, two are now MIA.

Anyway WFH ending, so many people still looking for chairs ah?
Why not transfer from office better? :o

Attila

Reaction score
If you been following UI from start when he organised his Nespresso mass order, he was never permanently located in SG but he subcontract to some companies to do the leg work. I replaced my HM casters within 3 days a few years ago, also repaired my Nespresso espresso machines trice. :o

He definitely outlast many HM sellers.
Example: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mass-order-corner-251/mo-herman-miller-aeron-chairs-4042326.html

Last year Lazada there were at least 3 sellers iirc, two are now MIA.

Anyway WFH ending, so many people still looking for chairs ah?
Why not transfer from office better? :o

my office has been using aeron and embody.
i will continue wfh for the next 3mths, and order a aeron to replace my damaged ergohuman

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.