Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimy88

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone got interview with BDO and ChioLim? Sent my application last week for audit associate position and still no reply.

Also, if I cant get a audit position, I am hunting for a position in tax. Any advise to which firm to try?

ChioLim haven't start conducting interviews yet i think.

Tax you can try EnY.. saw got opening.

nuky8181

Reaction score
ChioLim haven't start conducting interviews yet i think.

Tax you can try EnY.. saw got opening.

EnY that one I think is closed already but not updated. If not, it mean I got rejected cos I applied for it a month back....

I gave up on big 4, and even up to big 7. Now looking for firm good in tax. Any advise other then big 4, BDO, GT and ChioLim? Or even accounting position where you do outsource FS reporting?

Raider04

Master Member
Reaction score
why so? care to explain?? :s13: i think is it due to the lack of progression in GST??

Corporate tax is more versatile as you will be helping the corporation to minimise their tax obligation if you choose to move out of the audit firm in the future. GST is more straight forward hence the opportunities tend to be limited out there.

sukkieman

Reaction score
anyone got any idea of the pay struture of midtier firms(BDO RSM GT) as compared to the big 4?

astroboy37

Reaction score
wats toil?
time off in lieu?

Yes. TOIL is time-off in lieu. Currently only EY has it, the rest have scrapped it since the economic downturn in 2008. However, the TOIL system is not equally rolled within the firm as well. Some department encourages its employees to charge more hours and utilise their TOIL earned, while some employees in other departments might not have the time to go on TOIL and therefore have to forfeit the TOIL earned previously. Therefore, whether TOIL is a benefit, it will depend on your department culture.

I just wanna know what is the welfare thing you all talking about cause I keep hearing about it.

Staff welfare can come in many forms, monetary or non-monetary.

- Monetary: Certain service line might declare more bonus than the rest, even within the same firm. Also note that EY's promotion and bonus period is in Sept/Oct, whereas the other 3 is in June/July. And this is an important consideration!! TOIL might not be attactive afterall.

- Non-monetary: It can come in the way of TOIL (e.g. in EY). Or department benefits where there are alot of teambuilding activities throughout the year or staff overseas trip (Company/department culture). It can also come in the form of staff support where the workload can be better managed and you can achieve your worklife balance. Some firms have the tendency to squeeze their employees dry, therefore you have to weigh the benefits yourself and know what you want in life. The term welfare should not be judged based on the company's profile, but probably on the department you want to work in. As mentioned above, even within the firm, the work procedures and culture might differ from the others.

Do some homework and talk to people in those department to get a better understanding of the work, benefits, remuneration before making an informed decision.

Good luck!

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone knows what is it about TAS in PwC?

due dilligence work? good for career?

Last edited:

astroboy37

Reaction score
Hi astroboy, do u know the current payscale in big 4 for the different level? Thanks.

Associate 1/G2: $2,700 (for graduates)
Associate 2/G1: $3,100 and above (depending on your performance rating)
Senior 1: $4,000 and above (depending on your performance rating)

KPMG, add $200 to $300 (and less 1-day unpaid leave)

lovejade

Master Member
Reaction score
I do hear pwc does Infact able to clock toil... Depending on job n manager...

nuky8181

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone know which firm hiring fresh grad for tax excluding big 4, GT, BDO, Chiolim.

sammi_edith

Reaction score
LOL

i have been trying to get into Big4 for so long.. and i still don't get a reply from them..

feeling so demotivated :D

nevertheless, continue trying. :o

zimy88

Reaction score
LOL

i have been trying to get into Big4 for so long.. and i still don't get a reply from them..

feeling so demotivated :D

nevertheless, continue trying. :o

maybe you could give us a bit of background of yourself? education... yrs of experience etc

sammi_edith

Reaction score
maybe you could give us a bit of background of yourself? education... yrs of experience etc

me?

Last yr completed ACCA exams in June, prior to ACCA I already have a Degree in Info Systems (UOL)..

experience? --> all non-accounting related..

since last year graduated from ACCA examinations waited for Big 4.. den in the end no reply, so this year onwards start taking temp jobs to feed myself.. LOL

I rem someone mentioned age is a matter..i think i kena the age problem --> i am 29 this year liao. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.