Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can someone please clarify clearly once and for all, that all Samsung LCD TVs previously sold in Singapore, including those that were bought way back in 2009 and were back then labelled as 'HD-ready', and with the DVB logo clearly engraved on the front bezel(supporting DVB-C standard), were intentionally crippled by Samsung, with the DVB-C decoding capability disabled? Is that true?

In other words, what I am trying to say is that, for all these years, Singaporeans who have purchased Samsung LCD TVs, especially those purchased before the year 2013, and who were under the impression that their Samsung LCD TVs came with DVB-C capability(as stated in the respective model specifications), were actually quietly cheated of the DVB-C capability of their Samsung LCD TVs, because the DVB-C capability was disabled by Samsung, unbeknownst to buyers in Singapore.

Am I correct to say?

So, Samsung customers in Singapore were unknowingly robbed of the DVB-C capabilities of their Samsung LCD TV, for models which were supposed to come with DVB-C decoding capability?

If that is the case, then, on hindsight, wouldn't Philips have been a better brand to buy back then, instead of Samsung? Since, from what I know, Philips never disabled the DVB-C capability of their LCD TVs sold in Singapore(for the models that were supposed to have DVB-C capability).

What I don't understand is, why did Samsung disable the DVB-C capability of their LCD TVs sold in Singapore, especially for those models that were sold before 2013?

If the DVB-C capability of all the Samsung LCD TVs sold in Singapore had not not been intentionally crippled by Samsung, then many Samsung LCD TV owners in Singapore now would have been happily able to tune in to all the DVB-C Mediacorp free-to-air channels in HD, carried over the SCV cable point, even if they were not SCV subscribers, isn't it correct to say?

I supposed Samsung is the No. 1 top-selling brand of LCD TVs in Singapore, so the fallout of this intentional crippling of all previously sold DVB-C-capable LCD TVs by Samsung, is not such a small issue. I guess many Singaporeans who have purchased Samsung DVB-C capable LCD TVs, especially those bought before 2013, now feel cheated, no?

Please note that I am talking purely about older Samsung LCD TVs with DVB-C capability only, NOT the newer DVB-T2 or DVB-T2/DVB-C hybrids.

Most families in Singapore can't be bothered or have the aptitude to hack the Samsung remote control to access the Extended Service Menu, or to reprogram the TV's firmware, just to enable something which should not have been secretly disabled in the first place by Samsung.

Now, these families with Samsung LCD TVs bought before 2013, when they try to tune in to DVB-C channels carried over the SCV cable point, will slowly awaken to the shocking fact that they were cheated by Samsung all along, albeit too late.

Last edited:

cueball1981

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys sorry if off topic a bit.. I got a car dvb t2 box from taobao.. Testing at my house in woodland.

Manual search. Chn 27. Strength 83 percent and quality 50. But cant find any channel.

cc2mss5

Reaction score
When they say for SG, it could mean dvbt and not t2.
you must ask if the modulator is 1230. If so I believe cant use in sg.

just saw the reviews and there are comments saying that can use in singapore, east coast somemore. so i think it's useable here

rochmer

Reaction score
just saw the reviews and there are comments saying that can use in singapore, east coast somemore. so i think it's useable here

Ok.think bcos this is a 2015 version. So it is using the newer 1236 modulator

sgmem88

Reaction score
Can someone please clarify clearly once and for all, that all Samsung LCD TVs previously sold in Singapore, including those that were bought way back in 2009 and were back then labelled as 'HD-ready', and with the DVB logo clearly engraved on the front bezel(supporting DVB-C standard), were intentionally crippled by Samsung, with the DVB-C decoding capability disabled? Is that true?

In other words, what I am trying to say is that, for all these years, Singaporeans who have purchased Samsung LCD TVs, especially those purchased before the year 2013, and who were under the impression that their Samsung LCD TVs came with DVB-C capability(as stated in the respective model specifications), were actually quietly cheated of the DVB-C capability of their Samsung LCD TVs, because the DVB-C capability was disabled by Samsung, unbeknownst to buyers in Singapore.

Am I correct to say?

So, Samsung customers in Singapore were unknowingly robbed of the DVB-C capabilities of their Samsung LCD TV, for models which were supposed to come with DVB-C decoding capability?

If that is the case, then, on hindsight, wouldn't Philips have been a better brand to buy back then, instead of Samsung? Since, from what I know, Philips never disabled the DVB-C capability of their LCD TVs sold in Singapore(for the models that were supposed to have DVB-C capability).

What I don't understand is, why did Samsung disable the DVB-C capability of their LCD TVs sold in Singapore, especially for those models that were sold before 2013?

If the DVB-C capability of all the Samsung LCD TVs sold in Singapore had not not been intentionally crippled by Samsung, then many Samsung LCD TV owners in Singapore now would have been happily able to tune in to all the DVB-C Mediacorp free-to-air channels in HD, carried over the SCV cable point, even if they were not SCV subscribers, isn't it correct to say?

I supposed Samsung is the No. 1 top-selling brand of LCD TVs in Singapore, so the fallout of this intentional crippling of all previously sold DVB-C-capable LCD TVs by Samsung, is not such a small issue. I guess many Singaporeans who have purchased Samsung DVB-C capable LCD TVs, especially those bought before 2013, now feel cheated, no?

Please note that I am talking purely about older Samsung LCD TVs with DVB-C capability only, NOT the newer DVB-T2 or DVB-T2/DVB-C hybrids.

Most families in Singapore can't be bothered or have the aptitude to hack the Samsung remote control to access the Extended Service Menu, or to reprogram the TV's firmware, just to enable something which should not have been secretly disabled in the first place by Samsung.

Now, these families with Samsung LCD TVs bought before 2013, when they try to tune in to DVB-C channels carried over the SCV cable point, will slowly awaken to the shocking fact that they were cheated by Samsung all along, albeit too late.

Just checked samsung sg website, seem all models only has DVB-T2 tuner...no DVB-C...including those old models...something wrong or funny things going on??

dankoo

Reaction score
Hi.. I heard abt the scheme where MediCorp provides a free STB and antenna to residents who are not so well to do.. is this the same one u got selected for?

Yes...they installed for me yesterday. Draco STB including a indoor ant...I am receiving quite solid signals...both quality and strength at around 98%.

b00mxer

Reaction score
Yes...they installed for me yesterday. Draco STB including a indoor ant...I am receiving quite solid signals...both quality and strength at around 98%.

Just curious, how they "check" the best spot for best reception ah?

dankoo

Reaction score
Just curious, how they "check" the best spot for best reception ah?

Sorry, I was not at home when they did the installation so no idea. I came home and all's done. They fixed the antenna near my window.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

wherehouse

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I slipped the planar antenna between the wallmount and the TV and fortunately can still get full DVBT2 signal/quality.
Phew, no need to use external power or USB power.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many households have Starhub antenna outlets instead of Master Antenna.Why MDA never mentioned anything about DVB-C? Why SH cannot broadcast T2 format and need to choose C format? So many households have bought T2 TV (the 'wrong' TV) and plugged it into their SH outlets, waiting in vain for digital to come.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Many households have Starhub antenna outlets instead of Master Antenna.Why MDA never mentioned anything about DVB-C? Why SH cannot broadcast T2 format and need to choose C format? So many households have bought T2 TV (the 'wrong' TV) and plugged it into their SH outlets, waiting in vain for digital to come.
SH TV point can't receive T2 format as 'T' in T2 means terrestrial, thus only available on the air, whereas SH only transmit C(C for Cable) format as it also transmit encrypted channels for SH cable TV subscribers.

my two cents. :)

Sent from my Mi device using GAGT

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Can transmit is can transmit. But transmitting T2 on cable is inefficient because of the extra error-checking that's done on the T2 format due to its need to cater for external electronic interference in the air. For cable there is less error that's why DVB-C or DVB-C2 (a newer standard, but so far it's not used in Singapore... mentioned here for reference only) is used as it's more efficient.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
i kinda disappointed that MDA left out DVB-C for the tv manufacturers to comply~ go search euro tv models, many have DVB-T2/ C & S2 (satellite)~

eg. this one~
LG 47LY540H Hotel TV - Pro:Centric TV - LG Electronics UK

right now, im using DVB-C STB even though my tv supports DVB-T2, reason being there's additional channels like Supersports Arena & Lifetime and no ugly antenna hanging on the window~ :s22:

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i kinda disappointed that MDA left out DVB-C for the tv manufacturers to comply~ go search euro tv models, many have DVB-T2/ C & S2 (satellite)~

eg. this one~

right now, im using DVB-C STB even though my tv supports DVB-T2, reason being there's additional channels like Supersports Arena & Lifetime and no ugly antenna hanging on the window~ :s22:

Agree. The least those jokers could do was to educate the public about C. Unless, 1) they are not aware of SH outlets in homes, 2) C is not the 'standard' and could change anytime.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eg. this one~

What is your tuner setting for Lifetime? I couldn't get it available over direct DVB-C connection on Samsung TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.