Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those china K2, K3 box, if switched on 24 hours daily will it catch fire? Or at most become faulty and do not work?

I read like some say the parts are cheap easily hot and heat sink not good.

The point of failure is either the power adapter or the main processor itself (using default "heatsink"). The chances of catching fire is slim given the low power usage at 10W max (5V, 2A).

marcoyeo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got hand over a K2 box, most likely I going to add a heatsink.. I compare with my Starhub Cisco setup box, it feels hot for both devices.

redglue23

Reaction score
I just got hand over a K2 box, most likely I going to add a heatsink.. I compare with my Starhub Cisco setup box, it feels hot for both devices.

Bro, can take a picture of the K2 PCB layout and post here? There were several improvements to the K2 box, just curious to see what the latest improvements were.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What I mean is K2 K3 is made of cheap parts so become hot easily not sure if is it safe to on 24 hours a day or not. I do not mind it hot as long as no fire most important, if spoil cannot on is still ok at least no fire. I read there is one guy open the box and change a better heatsink, I am not going to change anything.

I have K2 box. It use external 5V supply. I modify it to take 5V from TV's USB 5V. Works fine.

petetherock

Reaction score
It’s a cheap STB guys.. if it spoils, change it.
I bought a spare in case. Just keep your well ventilated.
I might sell my spare since I have a new tv now..

ice_kacang

Reaction score
I got the New Media Solutions STB2-T2 model. After using it for recording a couple times, only then I realised the recording can only be played back using the STB and cannot be played back on PC. Confirmed this from its website.

Anyone using other models that can be recorded and played back via PC. Also, what is the maximum hard disk capacity the STB can handle?

Thanks

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the New Media Solutions STB2-T2 model. After using it for recording a couple times, only then I realised the recording can only be played back using the STB and cannot be played back on PC. Confirmed this from its website.

Anyone using other models that can be recorded and played back via PC. Also, what is the maximum hard disk capacity the STB can handle?

Thanks

buy those cheap $20 online, the recorded files are not encrypted.

new media encrypts the recordings.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
The DTV letter option 1, free set top box + antenna, free delivery and installation.
Anyone tried and they come to install already? Good?

I thinking choose this since they come install like easier. Let them troubleshoot if signal not clear.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
it's digital , image quality acceptable but the channel settings menu is stupid cannot rearrange numbers ...

What do you mean cannot rearrange numbers?

Can I set example like press remote control button number 8 and get channel 8, press button 5 get channel 5, press button 9 get U channel...? Tune channel frequency manually one button by one button then set the channel to the button number, don't use auto scan can?

Or is it all random channels at random button number I cannot change?

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Hi guys i live in the east coast but on the ground floor of my condo (which doesnt have matv). Is there any chance i can get dtv reception with an indoor antenna?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i live in the east coast but on the ground floor of my condo (which doesnt have matv). Is there any chance i can get dtv reception with an indoor antenna?

yes, if the micro dvb base station is nearby.

If very near, passive antenna will do, if slightly further, need an active antenna.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
What do you mean cannot rearrange numbers?

Can I set example like press remote control button number 8 and get channel 8, press button 5 get channel 5, press button 9 get U channel...? Tune channel frequency manually one button by one button then set the channel to the button number, don't use auto scan can?

Or is it all random channels at random button number I cannot change?
I used auto tune

what I meant was ... example if I want ch8 to be button 1 , chU to be button 2 , ch5 button 3 , CNA channel 4 ... most watched to least watched
yes you can arrange them up/down ... but after select OK EXIT .... it go back to the original arrangement from auto-scan which channel U is quite far behind in number , number 5 or 6 behind vasantham and suria ....

I think manual tune can , didn't bother to try it ...

the menu also very fast close in 8 second if no button press , very frustrating if trying to tune lots of things like above mentioned ....
wasted a good 20 minutes on it and didn't solve
use human brain to adapt to new numbers is more convenient than trying to go against the buggy firmware

register on the website also not good .... it will show "no such product" if you try to select the model via their picture catalog of tv , must directly type the model number ....
after register the product to your account also don't have any button to click , dunno how to request manufacturer help if got problem ....

cheap tv , decent image quality bright and vivid, use&throw .... no need to have high expectation
I also changed the image quality from Dynamic to Standard , based on actor skin tone of ch8 drama , to closer match my other TV

Last edited:

Medicated Oil

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My suggestion to you is to borrow the start up box from your family and test it out in your house.

u0206397

Reaction score
What I mean is K2 K3 is made of cheap parts so become hot easily not sure if is it safe to on 24 hours a day or not. I do not mind it hot as long as no fire most important, if spoil cannot on is still ok at least no fire. I read there is one guy open the box and change a better heatsink, I am not going to change anything.

You can buy a fire extinguisher and put beside your TV box.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought? Need to buy antenna?

Sent from Sony G8142 using GAGT
yes you need .... buy tv online they don't bundle antenna

qoo10 have that $13.90 antenna with USB booster and listed 5m cable length (4m actual)
that one is usable and good value

go lower in price and those models lose the usb-powered signal booster function

Last edited:

benedium

Reaction score
yes you need .... buy tv online they don't bundle antenna

qoo10 have that $13.90 antenna with USB booster and listed 5m cable length (4m actual)
that one is usable and good value

go lower in price and those models lose the usb-powered signal booster function

Yes i got that too and it works great despite its humble and slightly obscene appearance :s13:

Project_Xco

Reaction score
Hi,
I got the $100 letter and my TV I bought last year is already digital ready so I'm going to spend it on antenna (i dont need another TV).

What is the best antenna i can get? Im living in HDB. New BTO flat.

So far, I have shortlisted one.

DAIYO EU1702 HD DIGITAL INDOOR ANTENNA

ryuworks

Reaction score
Hi! Just got my m1 box but found that I cannot tune to sportsarena channel. Is there no way to receive it on the tuner box?

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Just got my m1 box but found that I cannot tune to sportsarena channel. Is there no way to receive it on the tuner box?
Not possible, sportsarena is a StarHub channel not available over the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.