Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Singapore Technical Specification for Integated Receiver Decorder defines the requirements for the Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) functionality which may be incorporated as a standalone module such as receiver box, an Integrated Digital Television (IDTV) or any other similar device intended for use with the second generation Digital Terrestrial Television broadcasting system (DVB-T2). The requirements for advanced features such as Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) and interactive services are not included in the scope of the Specification.

Quote from page 3 of the Specification:

2 General Requirements

2.1 Power Supply

The DVB-T2 IRD may be AC powered or DC powered. For AC powered equipment, the Specification
shall be complied with when operating from an AC mains supply of voltage, 230V ± 10% and
frequency, 50 Hz ± 2%. Where external power supply is used, e.g. AC adaptor, it shall not affect the
capability of the equipment to meet the Specification.

2.2 Safety Requirements

The DVB-T2 IRD shall be tested for compliance with the International Electrotechnical Commission IEC 60065 [2] safety standards.

2.3 Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Requirements

The DVB-T2 IRD shall comply with §5.3, §5.6 and §5.7 of ISO/IEC CISPR13 [3] or equivalent based
on ISO/IEC CISPR 22 [4].

Source: IMDA

That's just a standard for documentation. Just like handphone, what's the point of having the approval/sticker/logo when every traveller can have their own devices in roaming?

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's just a standard for documentation. Just like handphone, what's the point of having the approval/sticker/logo when every traveller can have their own devices in roaming?

Like you bring your laptop or mobile and charge it overseas.

Same goes to foreigners coming into SG.

Just do your homework and be safe.

Even Samsung's Note 7 saga. You think?

There's also case where people use laptop on bed and left it overnight to charge. Possibly blocking the ventilation. Causing it to burst into flames.

But let's not get into these off topics.

And already with hundreds of using China STB, with no issues.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like you bring your laptop or mobile and charge it overseas.

Same goes to foreigners coming into SG.

Just do your homework and be safe.

Even Samsung's Note 7 saga. You think?

There's also case where people use laptop on bed and left it overnight to charge. Possibly blocking the ventilation. Causing it to burst into flames.

But let's not get into these off topics.

And already with hundreds of using China STB, with no issues.

That's right.
Sometime is quality that count vs standard.
DVB-T2 was first launch claiming that you can use a short antenna. Now we know some place need active antenna. Worse, even antenna position/direction is important.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
One reason why set top boxes (with power supply adaptor if any) and tv receivers approved by IMDA is more expensive is that they are tested to the local electrical safety standard against overheating which may result in fire damage, or worse still, electrocution.

You have to weigh the risk of using the cheaper alternatives against the peace of mind offered by approved ones.
The purpose of my post is to raise consumer awareness of the potential risk. It is good to know that there are people who know the risk and have taken steps to deal with it.

Even famous branded devices have been found with electrical safety issues. All the more we must be wary of the such risk of unknown makers and not tested and approved to the required standards.

These unapproved type may be used by many people unknowingly and happy with them, the risk is still there. So far so good, touch wood, until one day when we learn through news or coroner's enquiry. If it happens in other part of the world, it is likely that we are none the wiser.

The requirements for devices to be tested to standard is for consumer protection. It is to be met by local sellers. Consumer won't be penalised for buying and using unapproved ones, unless they are found to emit emf interference. But that will be under the Telecommunications Act

daylight

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, position of antenna may affect signals. Try moving the antenna around, including inclining the antenna at different angles, to get the best overall signal for different channels. Use the tuner's indicator for signal intensity and picture quality as a guide.

just tied the antenna at the window grill this morning.
lets see whether signal will improve.

Last edited:

u0206397

Reaction score
Any good quality, decent priced digital TV box to recommend?

Interested to know as well. There are several models offered. Prices about the same. Which is the reliable one that works best? :s11:

x4g8c5.jpg

2hckge8.jpg

ojid83.jpg

qz2eye.jpg

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I don't recommend this one. I bought it from sinho via Aliexpress in Jan and it broke likely because of static electric.

My K2 has been working fine since late 2015.

Actually still got time as Mediacorp has not announce the date of the switching off of analogue Tv.

honestguy

Reaction score
Anyone bought K2 box recently? It seems the remote control quality is getting worse. Bought 2 units recently and both remote controls are not as sensitive that the one came with K2, I bought last year. Got to press multiple times before the command is accepted.

Thought was the box receiver or the IR angle issue. But after I changed to using a universal remote, no such issue. Consider invest in a universal remote control and instead of fiddling with 2 remote controls, I just use 1 to control both K2 and TV.

u0206397

Reaction score

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought K2 box recently? It seems the remote control quality is getting worse. Bought 2 units recently and both remote controls are not as sensitive that the one came with K2, I bought last year. Got to press multiple times before the command is accepted.

Thought was the box receiver or the IR angle issue. But after I changed to using a universal remote, no such issue. Consider invest in a universal remote control and instead of fiddling with 2 remote controls, I just use 1 to control both K2 and TV.

Let me guess, brought from the infamous Sin** seller?

What is the brand/model of your universal remote? Cost?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Chinese menu is only for the STB setup and tuning interface?

Or it can display Chinese text in the electronic TV program guide, where others can't?

May be useful to Chinese educated elderly who cannot read English.

Me also interested to know but I doubt it can be done as the EPG text is transmitted in English. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also wanted to know if this STB model can support displaying of Chinese filename of video file when using the media player.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
There is a language option for EPG but it still shows up in English.

The Chinese menu is only for the STB setup and tuning interface?

Or it can display Chinese text in the electronic TV program guide, where others can't?

May be useful to Chinese educated elderly who cannot read English.

u0206397

Reaction score
Let me guess, brought from the infamous Sin** seller?

What is the brand/model of your universal remote? Cost?

He's not a good seller? :(

Seems like he's the only guy carrying Chinese STBs for Singapore market? The other China sellers do not indicate if their DVB-T2 STB can work in Singapore, so it's basically buy at your own risk.

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Sin** that bad ? Service or machine bad ?

There are many complaint from buyers, go and read their review. Me only brought once from him, and have issue with the provided antenna. In short, bad QC on his part.

He's not a good seller? :(

Seems like he's the only guy carrying Chinese STBs for Singapore market? The other China sellers do not indicate if their DVB-T2 STB can work in Singapore, so it's basically buy at your own risk.

Apparently those sellers I brought from no longer selling or not selling these cheap STB. Most of these STB should work but always good to double check with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.