Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I bought a digital tv attenta on Qoo recently and do a digital channel searching with my Panasonic TH-P50UT50S TV, but there are not any channels been found. And I did call Panasonic hotline to check which their technician tell me that my TV Is not digital ready tv and suggested me to buy the set top box and antenna.

Does any bothers here facing this kind of issue before? Why the TV has the function in the menu but the technician the function is not included?
When did you purchase the Panasonic TV?

TVs before 2013 usually don't come with DVB-T2 tuner, it's only recently where DVB-T2 becomes a standard in local TV sets.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TL;DR (too long, don't read), just skip this post, OK? :)

There are so many points I wish to say -- don't even know where to start...

It's the video bitrate -- not the video resolution -- that has the greatest impact on overall video viewing quality.

1080i & 1080p -- don't worry too much about this. In real world viewing, the difference is not that great.

PLEASE / KINDLY understand that in the world of video broadcasting / streaming -- resolution alone does not define the bandwidth requirements of a video, you need to (at least) also state clearly the following:

(a) the framerate
(b) the type of video compression used (if any)
(c) the overall video bitrate

To me, point (c) is the single most important factor, more so than resolution.

But just looking at point (a) -- do you know -- you can have videos with 24fps, 30fps or 60fps etc?

That means you can have 1080i@60fps or 1080p@30fps or 1080p@60fps etc, etc.

If all other factors are equal, 1080i@60fps & 1080p@30fps have exactly the same amount of video data.

With the right hardware, you can easily convert any video between 1080i@60fps <--> 1080p@30fps.

If you define 1080p as "TRUE FHD" -- but 1080i is not "TRUE FHD"...

- Then 1080i@60fps is "TRUE FHD" because 1080i@60fps can be converted to 1080p@30fps

- Then 1080p@30fps is NOT "TRUE FHD" because 1080p@30fps is actually just 1080i@60fps

You see (from above), once you go into details -- after a while it becomes meaningless to define videos based on resolution alone.

If you randomly pick people off the street & show them a 1080i@60fps video and a 1080p@30fps video...

Vast majority of people can't tell the difference between 1080i & 1080p.

With a well trained eye, it is easier to see the difference between 1080i & 1080p -- if you've a large TV (at least 42" or bigger).

EVEN if you've a large TV, it also depends on how close you sit (the viewing distance).
It only becomes easier to tell the difference between 1080i & 1080p -- if you've a large TV & sit you sit really close to the TV.

(But if you always sit too close to a large TV to watch, it'll spoilt your eyes in the long run, LOL).

Have you ever bought (or borrow) original Blu-ray discs to watch using a Blu-ray player?

Do you know that most Blu-ray videos are ONLY 1080p@24fps ? Yes, ONLY 1080p@24fps.

But yet most Blu-ray videos look good -- even on large TVs. Why? Because the overall bitrate of Blu-ray videos are HIGH -- point (c) above.

If you watch enough Blu-ray videos, then you go watch Youtube 4K -- you'll actually feel that most Youtube 4K@30fps videos looks poor/terrible.

To limited bandwidth requirements, all Youtube videos (including 4K videos) are highly compressed videos with low bitrate.

The HIGHER the video bitrate, the MORE video data is available. On the other hand, the LOWER the overall video bitrate, the LESS video data is available. This is UNIVERSALLY TRUE regardless of resolution.
Bitrate is the single most important factor in overall video viewing quality, more so than resolution.

PERSONALLY, I'll watch a Blu-ray disc at only 1080p@24fps any day -- rather than watch mostly shitty Youtube 4K@30fps.

Based on the above,

For the current DVB-T2 channels we receive OTA locally, we can receive up to 1920x1080 broadcast -- which is good enough because sufficient frequency/bandwidth have been allocated for a reasonably good video bitrate.

If you have a TV with a high quality display panel, the DVB-T2 channels we receive OTA can look really good -- much better than most 1080p videos on Youtube.

I also agree, we will not get digital 4K broadcast anytime soon, because -- to limit the frequency/bandwidth used, the digital 4K video broadcast will SURELY be compressed.

What will be the video compression standard used? HEVC/H.265? VP9? or another video compression standard?

Most people will have to throw away their current TVs and buy new TVs or buy new digital receivers that can support whatever compression standard used for our local digital 4K broadcast.

Again, local digital 4K broadcast will not be available anytime soon.

Hope the above helps.

May be this link will help to understand 1080i vs 1080p better.
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413044,00.asp
https://help.channel5.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200776372-What-s-the-difference-between-1080p-and-1080i-

Last edited:

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Redeemed my kit yesterday night at M1 shop..
Planning to use it in my wife shop.. :D

gantan88

Reaction score
My TV is not near the window. If i put the antenna just on my tv console near my tv, will there be any reception issue (video and audio)?

Otherwise i have to pull the cable across my living room and put antenna near window.
Very unsightly and inconvenient.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My TV is not near the window. If i put the antenna just on my tv console near my tv, will there be any reception issue (video and audio)?

Otherwise i have to pull the cable across my living room and put antenna near window.
Very unsightly and inconvenient.

Depend on the signal strength in your area. My passive antenna is placed about 2m away from the window as it provide the optimal reception.

gantan88

Reaction score
My tv console is built to blend in with where the existing analogue antenna wall point is, so i don't see unsightly cables running all over the place. Um...

sunsetbay

Reaction score
For those using dvb-c, any idea will you able to watch all the starhub channels when they have free viewing during special occasion??

Can't access~ its meant for their subscribers, eg. during CNY period~ occasionally you can get few free channels using DVB-C when they do testing or whatever reason they didn't encrypt it~ :s22:

gantan88

Reaction score
hmm, I guess if I receive this letter, I'll choose option B to get $100 off equipment of my choice

My initial thought is if we get the default equipment from m1, any technical issues we can call m1 to settle.easier than buying ownself.

comex_1

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.