Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivaraajkrishnan

Reaction score
Just wanna put it out there...

I'm not sure what kind of ties Mediacorp or IMDA has with digital TV equipment manufacturers but just to be sure that you can actually connect your DVB-T2 enabled television or set-top box to the master antenna (MATV) if you are living in a premise that still has those infrastructure available to you. This is by far, the best way to receive digital TV (DTV) come end 2018 IMHO. If you already know that, sorry but allow me to explain further.

I have brought up this matter to Mediacorp and IMDA about why do the publications for DTV don't advise "best solutions" to viewers. For example, they have told households how to be digital ready and that you'll need an indoor antenna for the respective equipment, but why haven't they advised a MATV connection as well?

They couldn't come up with an answer but have brushed me off by saying that the motive of the indoor antenna is an advantage to the viewer for where he/she would want to place the TV set in the house. While I find that that is a valid reason, I've also told them that it feels like to an untrained person in this field, it is a MUST to have that indoor antenna to receive DTV; which, who knows, they might have a MATV connection too. They have yet to get back to me on that and it has been 6 months since I sent that email too.:s11:

To all helping out your family, friends and neighbours to be DTV ready, I hope you guys could assess the kinds of connections they have before advising the appropriate equipment required. They just might not need an indoor antenna for all you know and this could help them save money. However, if they are on the DTV scheme by IMDA and Mediacorp, getting free equipment or vouchers, then this would not apply to them, assuming that they are already hooked up on DTV as directed by the officials.

On the other hand, I recently got a 32" Philips TV which was DVB-T2 and DVB-C ready. Connected that to the SCTV socket and it was able to detect scrambled and unscrambled channels offered by StarHub on the cable platform. Imagine if that TV had a smartcard slot, I would have used my existing smartcard on that TV and do away with their crappy set-top box! :s13:

But I also came to realised that the unscrambled channels which are the obvious FTA channels (Mediacorp channels specifically), were not HD and didn't come with EPG support as well. Curious, but has anyone experienced the same thing as well? Hope to hear from y'all soon!

One Piece

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I also came to realised that the unscrambled channels which are the obvious FTA channels (Mediacorp channels specifically), were not HD and didn't come with EPG support as well. Curious, but has anyone experienced the same thing as well? Hope to hear from y'all soon!

The Mediacorp channels your tv detected, are they the reduced screen size type?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of ties Mediacorp or IMDA has with digital TV equipment manufacturers but just to be sure that you can actually connect your DVB-T2 enabled television or set-top box to the master antenna (MATV) if you are living in a premise that still has those infrastructure available to you. This is by far, the best way to receive digital TV (DTV) come end 2018 IMHO. If you already know that, sorry but allow me to explain further.

I have brought up this matter to Mediacorp and IMDA about why do the publications for DTV don't advise "best solutions" to viewers. For example, they have told households how to be digital ready and that you'll need an indoor antenna for the respective equipment, but why haven't they advised a MATV connection as well?

On the other hand, I recently got a 32" Philips TV which was DVB-T2 and DVB-C ready. Connected that to the SCTV socket and it was able to detect scrambled and unscrambled channels offered by StarHub on the cable platform. Imagine if that TV had a smartcard slot, I would have used my existing smartcard on that TV and do away with their crappy set-top box! :s13:

All the hdb matv will be decommissioned (or no further maintenance) after 1/1/19. But this is a non-issue as most household are provided with free equipment

For private condo, it is up to the MC, it could be one way of connection if everyone want to pay for the maintenance. It could cost $10-$20 per unit.

One target for imda to implement dvb-t2 is to "cut cable", so all houses do not have to lay rf cable and antenna point, and make placement of tv more convinient.

DVB-T2 antenna is not expensive, many can use $2 passive antenna to receive.

As for your picture from SCV, most likely you are not receiving digital signal, because you would see full hd if you can receive correctly.

sashaBEAR

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello good people, just wondering if anyone has similar issues like mine whereby the channels will go missing once every few days when you turn on the TV? I have to do a rescan every time this happens. Rescanning doesnt do the job at all. Does anyone of you have a suggestion? :o

Using the digital TV box provided by MDA.

sporeknight76

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello good people, just wondering if anyone has similar issues like mine whereby the channels will go missing once every few days when you turn on the TV? I have to do a rescan every time this happens. Rescanning doesnt do the job at all. Does anyone of you have a suggestion? :o

Using the digital TV box provided by MDA.
U using draco or nms?

For me aft nite 12-1am will off the power for STB n on bk arnd 8am. No issue abt missing channels. I using Draco.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

simwb90

Reaction score
I have the same issue of the unit suddenly stopped working, only difference is that my TV is fairly new. Helpline is of course fairly useless. If you manage to RMA, please post. Thank you!

yup
technician came down to do a one-for-one replacement.
in his own words, if you only see a green light and nothing else (i.e. only got power), it's beyond hope and must be replaced.

Reaction score
Hi all , just got the NewMedia box from courts ? Must we register for the warranty or does it come with any warranty ? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.