Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1verflow

Reaction score
Indoor antenna these days are designed in style.. So can be a kinda cool device too,,, can match furniture and as an art piece or something lol.

oh den i need to go see for myself, i always thought antenna is those big big kinds.. but if tv can direct get signal from the starhub point, i think the quality will be more stable, since i looking for new tv for the bedroom, then i aim for the dvb-c ones first. tks i learn quite a lot..

b00mxer

Reaction score
oh den i need to go see for myself, i always thought antenna is those big big kinds.. but if tv can direct get signal from the starhub point, i think the quality will be more stable, since i looking for new tv for the bedroom, then i aim for the dvb-c ones first. tks i learn quite a lot..

Yup they're now designed in small size too. And for stable I beg to differ. DVB-T2 can be very stable too that's why most countries chose this new format. But of course I also agree via scv point can be more stable cuz it runs underground.

Up to individual la :) if you got scv point I personally will go for the scv point. If not dvb-t2 is designed for people who doesn't have any tv points and able to receive almost anywhere in the house once sg is fully digital.

r1verflow

Reaction score
Yup they're now designed in small size too. And for stable I beg to differ. DVB-T2 can be very stable too that's why most countries chose this new format. But of course I also agree via scv point can be more stable cuz it runs underground.

Up to individual la :) if you got scv point I personally will go for the scv point. If not dvb-t2 is designed for people who doesn't have any tv points and able to receive almost anywhere in the house once sg is fully digital.

tks again! :D

widman01

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

starhub point need setup box from starhub.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
starhub point need setup box from starhub.

You can get unencrypted StarHub DVB-C signals from the StarHub point if you have a DVB-C TV or a DVB-C receiver STB. Channels includes HD5 and all other digital MediaCorp channels.

:)

Last edited:

b00mxer

Reaction score
You can get unencrypted StarHub DVB-C signals from the StarHub point if you have a DVB-C TV or a DVB-C receiver STB. Channels includes HD5 and all other digital analog MediaCorp channels.

Remove the "analog" from your sentence ;)

mrclubbie

Emeritus Honorary Member
Reaction score
This one pretty bad for me... Need use better ones. So high quality antennas does play it's part too.

Well that antenna works for me. Cheap too. I guess it is all about the location. Cheers :)

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry to butt in the discussion..

I recently just bought a 2014 model of LG TV (haven't delivered to me yet), and the specs said clearly that it has DVB-T2 tuner (only). Will I be able to receive normal analog channels with this new TV ar? Coz my area don't have digital transmissions yet...

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score

I recently just bought a 2014 model of LG TV (haven't delivered to me yet), and the specs said clearly that it has DVB-T2 tuner (only). Will I be able to receive normal analog channels with this new TV ar? Coz my area don't have digital transmissions yet...

What is the TV model? T2 TVs normally should have both analog and T2 tuner.

b00mxer

Reaction score

You got two choices:
1. Try Scan for analog channels usually should have analog tuner as well quite weird only have T2.
2. Try scanning for digital signal. Who knows your area can receive. ;)

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
What is the TV model? T2 TVs normally should have both analog and T2 tuner.

Can't remember the model no though. Receipt at home, need to go back and check. >_< I remembered scanning through the spec list (which the promoter was flipping) and saw only dvb-t2 under the tuner part...

You got two choices:
1. Try Scan for analog channels usually should have analog tuner as well quite weird only have T2.
2. Try scanning for digital signal. Who knows your area can receive. ;)

OK will try to do that tomorrow when the TV comes. Thank you both very much! :o

b00mxer

Reaction score
Can anybody confirm if Analogue broadcast for both CABLE and TERRESTRIAL will cease or only analog terrestrial? Reason why I'm asking cuz other countries only cease their over the air analog signal but analog signal over cable (which most of us are currently connected to for those not subscribed to Starhub) is still active. Hmm.. We shouldn't panick after all if starhub decides to continue analog FTA cable broadcast?

needsomecash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess my area (holland) got indoor coverage already!! :)
Now no need to put antenna outside window liao...

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Indoor coverage means what ? From MATV or SH socket ? Can receive both digital and analog signal ...:s11:

Indoor coverage means you can get digital DVB-T2 signals anywhere in your house, from your indoor digital antenna or you can use MATV ro receive digital TV if you have it. The StarHub point can't receive DVB-T2 signals, it only transmit DVB-C and analog signals.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm if Analogue broadcast for both CABLE and TERRESTRIAL will cease or only analog terrestrial? Reason why I'm asking cuz other countries only cease their over the air analog signal but analog signal over cable (which most of us are currently connected to for those not subscribed to Starhub) is still active. Hmm.. We shouldn't panick after all if starhub decides to continue analog FTA cable broadcast?
It is public knowledge that "Singapore will complete the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting by 2020, in line with ASEAN’s agreed timeframe for making the switch." - See more at: http://www.mda.gov.sg/AboutMDA/News...eechDetail.aspx?speech=5#sthash.L8pzPTcD.dpuf

There is cost for broadcasters to carry tv signals, for both over-the-air and cable network. Starhub is required to carry FTA signals as part of the MDA licensing requirements. If FTA analogue signal is no longer available, it is illogical to stick to the licensing requirement which is no longer applicable. Where are the FTA signals coming from?

Can you give more details regarding the other countries you mentioned?

sgmem88

Reaction score
It is public knowledge that "Singapore will complete the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting by 2020, in line with ASEAN’s agreed timeframe for making the switch." - See more at: http://www.mda.gov.sg/AboutMDA/News...eechDetail.aspx?speech=5#sthash.L8pzPTcD.dpuf

There is cost for broadcasters to carry tv signals, for both over-the-air and cable network. Starhub is required to carry FTA signals as part of the MDA licensing requirements. If FTA analogue signal is no longer available, it is illogical to stick to the licensing requirement which is no longer applicable. Where are the FTA signals coming from?

Can you give more details regarding the other countries you mentioned?

since FTA analogue signal is replaced by FTA digital signal, shouldn't the licensing requirements be updated to carry FTA digital signal? ;)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Most likely no. Once the aerial analog signals for the MediaCorp channels is turned off, the StarHub analog signals for the MediaCorp channels will probably be turned off too, or maybe turned off at a slightly later date to allow more time for users to change but definitely not forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.