Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverLine

Reaction score
Initially i set pcm my sony tv displayed all as stereo. After i set bs out my sony tv displayed as stereo for aac n dolby digital for dd+.
DD is very loud while DD+ is soft but still clear.

The HDMI is actually an intelligent interface that support automatic configuration, it allows the transmitting source (STB) to automatically deliver the most effective format (e.g. DD vs 2 ch PCM) for the TV receiver that it is connected, eliminating the need for user to scroll through a list of audio formats. Thus, it is strange that the box's HDMI output actually follows the BS Out settings….. there could be some limitations in the main chipset, or even a software bug.

Your Sony actually detects DD, this seems to indicate that a DD+ decoder by default, has a DD+ to DD transcoder. What is left is whether the box converts HE-AAC 5.1 to DD 5.1 and presents it to the Digital Audio Out. Both cases can simply be verified with a DVD HTS.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Hope I am not posting my question in the wrong thread.

I am planning to buy a small TV in my room (40 or below) that do not have a setup box. Are all the TV in the market now digital TV or that none of them are? I am wondering if I need a buy the receiver since I am buying a new TV. I looked at all the advertisements but none of them indicated whether it is a digital TV or not.

TanBoonHwa

Reaction score
After reading up most of the posting, can I conclude that we do not need to get a A-B video splitter if we connect the TV (non digital one) antenna into SCV point and HDMI input from the STB which is connected to an indoor antenna or MATV?

We only need to do the tuning for the TV and STB separately, correct?

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Hope I am not posting my question in the wrong thread.

I am planning to buy a small TV in my room (40 or below) that do not have a setup box. Are all the TV in the market now digital TV or that none of them are? I am wondering if I need a buy the receiver since I am buying a new TV. I looked at all the advertisements but none of them indicated whether it is a digital TV or not.

If you are planning to buy a digital DVB-T2 TV below 40inch, I think only Sony 32W674A fulfills your requirement. If not, you can buy those digital DVB-T or analog TV and buy a DVB-T2 receiver box and an antenna. If you currently have a StarHub TV or/and SingTel mioTV box in your room, you do not need to buy a digital TV but to futureproof your new TV purchase, you can consider buying a DVB-T2 TV set.

:)

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
The Sony chipset is a DVB-T2/T/C demod as you pointed out in post #1432. The DD/DD+ decoder is embedded inside the main digital SoC chipset (Mstar, ALi, STM, etc), which should sit underneath a big heatsink inside the box
What I found inside the stb:

• Circuit board MC6435-M3812-VER1.0 (Ali?)
  • TM1668 (LED display driver ic)
  • Nanya NT5CB64M16FP-DH (4 Gb DDR3 SDRAM)

This may help you to guess better the features of the stb:s22:

I think DD/DD+ logo is more appropriate for HTS than to TV/STB, TVs are now so complex that there can be lots of other features/logos worth promoting. Whatever the case, royalty fees would have been paid directly or indirectly via the OEM manufacturer. Or, maybe there is no logo because initially there is no intention for a DD/DD+ decoder, but add it later because people might complaint of no sound on DD+…. we can continue to guess….:s13: ;)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
After reading up most of the posting, can I conclude that we do not need to get a A-B video splitter if we connect the TV (non digital one) antenna into SCV point and HDMI input from the STB which is connected to an indoor antenna or MATV?
Yes. Just note that matv may or may not have the digital tv signal.

Correction of terminology, it's a rf splitter, not a video splitter.

We only need to do the tuning for the TV and STB separately, correct?
Positive.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
can connect draco box to scv antenna point to receive ch8, ch5, ch-U and CNA ?

No it can't receive since the scv point transmit only DVB-C and analog signals while the draco box decodes DVB-T2 and DVB-T signals only. Not sure whether the draco box decodes analog signals. :)

therealsamhui

Master Member
Reaction score
does it mean that if I am subscribed to Mio TV and will always subscribe to Mio TV, I do not care about whether it T2?

edwinz

Reaction score
Decoder box review

Ordered this:Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is HD DVB-T2 terrestrial digital television TV receiver DVB T2 tuner with DVB-T MPEG-2 MPEG-4 H.264 HDMI 1080P Set top box

Has smaller than expected footprint.
Used my own powered antenna.
Works and is so much more cheaper than a draco.

51D88638-8C52-4E25-960B-4675DEBB3133.jpg

22AEB66E-9284-46F0-BAED-72823DBF9BE1.jpg

path_of_rainbow

Reaction score
If I have a DVB-T2 receiver with a DVB-T2 antenna, will I be able to receive Ch8, Ch8, CNA and Channel U, especially channel U since it's an analog channel ?

edwinz

Reaction score
If I have a DVB-T2 receiver with a DVB-T2 antenna, will I be able to receive Ch8, Ch8, CNA and Channel U, especially channel U since it's an analog channel ?

I can recieve both SD and T2 channels, I will delete from my program list, the redundunt channels.

My channel list:
HD 5
HD 8
HD Suria
HD Vasantham
SD Okto
SD Chanel U
SD CNA
HD test channels...

Last edited:

edwinz

Reaction score
How long is the delivery ?
Is delivery free to Singapore ?

delivery will be very long (30 days norm) by china post, but its free.
I paid EMS and it took me > 3 weeks as china EMS has awful backlogs.
It cost me 15USD by EMS. Stoopid china EMS...

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
If I have a DVB-T2 receiver with a DVB-T2 antenna, will I be able to receive Ch8 (5), Ch8, CNA and Channel U, especially channel U since it's an analog channel ?
All these channels (note correction I made for you) are available as digital channels. The DVB-T2 receiver will receive them with a suitable antenna. Note that DVB-T2 antenna is a misnomer - it can receive analogue tv signal in the UHF too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.